Lurkers vs Participants

Kat brought up a point in another thread, stating that most Serious hobbyists lurk rather than participate.

Got curious so I ran some percentages, in the 1st two pages of threads in CoEd only 1 thread has currently garnered over 6% of responses to the # of views.

So I guess this just begs the question, why do some of those who post often presume that they speak for the entire Austin community?

Let the bashing begin.
So I guess this just begs the question, why do some of those who post often presume that they speak for the entire Austin community? Originally Posted by eglrdr
Because of what the Lurkers choose to read when they log in.....

Actually...... That has been my contention as well over the last several years......

So if Lurkers do not participate, then what are they on the boards for?

They come for the Ads, Reviews and information.....

I field more PMs and Emails every week from lurkers than from participants. It's been that way for years.

Lurkers contribute to if not drive view counts on countless threads.. I get PM comments from people that are members and never post regularly....... .As well as suggestions....

Since they don't participate they obviously have not missed much of the "Look At me" or "I made $3000 last week but I can't pay my rent today" threads that we've made a good dent in getting rid of......

They also did not participate in all the flirt stuff..... So they must not miss that....

It is my contention that the MAJORITY of posters that hang out in CoEd commenting on each and almost everything a lady has to say tend to be the pathetic extreme of those attracted to the hobby.... These are the poor saps that get no female attention or interaction in their daily life and need that reassurance, even if it's just in a post, that a woman will pay attention to them.

I speak for myself and express my views and often those views are influenced by the lurkers that contribute and share behind the scenes.... Some subjects are suggested.....

I had Lunch this week with a guy on another site that never posts here.... exchanged stories and information and helped him with a couple of recomendations from the local community as well as helped him hook up with a dancer he expressed an interest in.

Some think we've lost ladies and some posters....

I believe the ladies still post their ads and see guys and no longer post because they never really had anything of substance to contribute.

And the men that no longer contribute were not necessarily men who provided much in reviews or in the locker room.....

There are hundreds of posts spread across 3 pages of threads for the last week alone with a variety of male and female posters....

Far Less Look At me, flirting and Threads.....

The "community" seems content to live with the direction the forum is going. As much as I would enjoy being an omnipotent being..... I'm just one voice......

The changes here did not happen because of me and me alone.....

The changes here happened because I was not afraid to speak up or call out the behind the scenes manipulators and as soon as others realized I could say it and be heard they joined in as well.... Not so long ago all of this would have vanished and a lot of us would have been banned.... or simply posted in the locker room and shared privately.... Then you had the same old bats and their lapdogs posting all the time and the vast majority of whaat was posted was drivel, reviews were far less informative, there was no SW or strip club sections per se and sharing behind the scenes was all we had....

Lurkers drove change by selecting what they wanted to read...

if I didn't generate topics of interest that caused people to log in and view threads they would have shut me down a long time ago.

So you are right..... Far more Lurk then Post but their "views" are reflected in the changes that have occurred.....

I'll also mention that of the 192 names on the current GC Event Mailing list almost half are lurkers and 13rd-1/2 of the guys that regularly attend are lurkers as well.....

So some of us, through networking, socializing and simply participating are tied into networks that include lurkers.....

Actually...... That has been my contention as well over the last several years......

Correct

I field more PMs and Emails every week from lurkers than from participants. It's been that way for years.

Lurkers contribute to if not drive view counts on countless threads.. I get PM comments from people that are members and never post regularly....... .As well as suggestions....

Since they don't participate they obviously have not missed much of the "Look At me" or "I made $3000 last week but I can't pay my rent today" threads that we've made a good dent in getting rid of......

They also did not participate in all the flirt stuff..... So they must not miss that....

they didn't participate in anything, so how do you presume to know what they do or do not miss?

It is my contention that the MAJORITY of posters that hang out in CoEd commenting on each and almost everything a lady has to say tend to be the pathetic extreme of those attracted to the hobby.... These are the poor saps that get no female attention or interaction in their daily life and need that reassurance, even if it's just in a post, that a woman will pay attention to them.

pretty broad statement, kinda like men who hang out in strip clubs, looking for 19yo strippers to inflate thier ego. Sorry man, but I figured I'd use the same ignorance in my statement, as you showed in yours.

I speak for myself and express my views and often those views are influenced by the lurkers that contribute and share behind the scenes.... Some subjects are suggested.....

Hmmmm.

I had Lunch this week with a guy on another site that never posts here.... exchanged stories and information and helped him with a couple of recomendations from the local community as well as helped him hook up with a dancer he expressed an interest in.

hence the am I seen as a pimp thread

I believe the ladies still post their ads and see guys and no longer post because they never really had anything of substance to contribute.

Interesting, some of the more sucessful ladies that I have met from here, don't post ads, but most certainly contribute or have had a voice in the past

And the men that no longer contribute were not necessarily men who provided much in reviews or in the locker room.....

I would hope that you're not lumping me in that category, since from where I sit our review count's are about even. Oh, my bad, just noticed you had your reviews removed, but anyway we were close.

There are hundreds of posts spread across 3 pages of threads for the last week alone with a variety of male and female posters....

please explain to me the problem with flirting on a provider board, I'm sorry I just don't get where thats an issue

The "community" seems content to live with the direction the forum is going. As much as I would enjoy being an omnipotent being..... I'm just one voice......

The changes here happened because I was not afraid to speak up or call out the behind the scenes manipulators and as soon as others realized I could say it and be heard they joined in as well.... Not so long ago all of this would have vanished and a lot of us would have been banned.... or simply posted in the locker room and shared privately.... Then you had the same old bats and their lapdogs posting all the time and the vast majority of whaat was posted was drivel, reviews were far less informative, there was no SW or strip club sections per se and sharing behind the scenes was all we had....

? sorry this one is just way over my head, are you saying that thread views drive change

if I didn't generate topics of interest that caused people to log in and view threads they would have shut me down a long time ago.

Sorry, but this is where I feel you go a little off the rails

So you are right..... Far more Lurk then Post but their "views" are reflected in the changes that have occurred.....

I'll also mention that of the 192 names on the current GC Event Mailing list almost half are lurkers and 13rd-1/2 of the guys that regularly attend are lurkers as well.....

So some of us, through networking, socializing and simply participating are tied into networks that include lurkers..... Originally Posted by Whispers

Whispers, I must say that this was a very well thought out and respectful response, and I do appreciate that.

I find it interesting that nowhere in my original post did I mention you, but of course you were the one to respond, I truly believe that you believe that all of the changes you are spearheading are for the better.

This is where we might just have to agree to disagree, my point in the original post was that 90-95% of members here DO NOT PARTICIPATE, and for quite a while I was one of them. Where do you, or anyone else(including me) think that you have the right to speak for anyone but yourself.
Kat brought up a point in another thread, stating that most Serious hobbyists lurk rather than participate. Originally Posted by eglrdr
I'm not sure what you or Kat mean by "Serious hobbyist", but whatever the definition, there's a good chance that it's true. There have always been a huge majority of lurkers compared to active participants. Regardless of mood, atmosphere, who is sucking the life out of what thread, who the mods were, lurkers outnumbered participants by large numbers.

Got curious so I ran some percentages, in the 1st two pages of threads in CoEd only 1 thread has currently garnered over 6% of responses to the # of views.
Which thread was it that generated over 6% responses vs. # of views? What conclusion are you drawing from this?

So I guess this just begs the question, why do some of those who post often presume that they speak for the entire Austin community?

Let the bashing begin.
I'm not bashing you, eglrdr.

I have seen more instances of people who don't post often making posts like "you, vocal minority, do not speak for us, non-vocal majority". Personally, I think it would be a ridiculous assumption to think that all lurkers share the same opinion on everything just because they are lurkers or don't participate often. If they don't speak up, it would be reasonable to assume that their opinions vary between themselves, from topic to topic. As for guessing what the majority would be in any given topic, that would be futile without much more insight.
I'm not sure what you or Kat mean by "Serious hobbyist",

Was just quoting her Rand, not really sure what that means.

Which thread was it that generated over 6% responses vs. # of views? What conclusion are you drawing from this?

This, and not drawing any conclusion, this one will probably wind up in the same 6% area, it's young

http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=171481

Personally, I think it would be a ridiculous assumption to think that all lurkers share the same opinion on everything just because they are lurkers or don't participate often. If they don't speak up, it would be reasonable to assume that their opinions vary between themselves, from topic to topic. As for guessing what the majority would be in any given topic, that would be futile without much more insight. Originally Posted by Rand Al'Thor
Very well said, and as I said in my response to Whispers, I appreciate the respectful thought out response.
This a wonderful thread, Eglrdr; perfect timing too.

Before the powder room closed, I simply lurked in co-ed. I found the culture to be severly devisive with vocal and bitter people on each side. Why would I want to particpate in something with such negativity?

But with the demise of our super secret ladies lair, it's forced me to crawl out of my shell and participate despite the "culture." Over the past few days I've gotten to converse with some really great guys and gals that I never would have had the chance to if the PR was still around. I would have still chosen the isolationist approach.

But here I am, and quite frankly I am embarrassed I ever even thought that way. Why in the world would I exclude myself from a debate simply because of "perceived" negativity? Or elect to surround myself with people who think just like me? That's not how we grow as people. And definitely not as providers if we don't talk to hobbyists! Negativity only thrives when there isn't enough positivity to keep it afloat.
  • yeesh
  • 02-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Personally, the only lurkers I'm concerned with are ones like "Ellie" that have that big incall over near 8th and I-35.
Originally Posted by Whispers

Correct

they didn't participate in anything, so how do you presume to know what they do or do not miss?

i think if there was something they missed it might drive them to become a bit more vocal....

pretty broad statement, kinda like men who hang out in strip clubs, looking for 19yo strippers to inflate thier ego. Sorry man, but I figured I'd use the same ignorance in my statement, as you showed in yours.

And this is where ignorance on your part delves to personal attacks which drive the drama rather than being able to keep things on a topic.... You using almost the exact same words others use to regular typecast me...... I know dozens of strippers.. .I only know a few under 21..... However the latest gal making the rounds happens to be 19..... And 19yos seldom inflate my ego...... The 24yo Mistress used to.... The current 22yo I go out with definitely does......

Would it be a problem for you if it happened to be a 19yo Provider? Or to know that my ATF is a 30yo Provider? and my circle of hobby friends includes 4 providers over the age of 25?

My interest and most of the growing interest in Strippers has nothing to do with age....... It has everything to do with appearance and value.....

Hmmmm.

hence the am I seen as a pimp thread

So making a suggestion on an Indy is OK but introducing him to a Stripper is "Pimping"? The Pimp thread came from an incident in Chat..... Read it all before commenting and you'll do much better.....

Interesting, some of the more sucessful ladies that I have met from here, don't post ads, but most certainly contribute or have had a voice in the past

I would hope that you're not lumping me in that category, since from where I sit our review count's are about even. Oh, my bad, just noticed you had your reviews removed, but anyway we were close.

please explain to me the problem with flirting on a provider board, I'm sorry I just don't get where thats an issue

Nothing is wrong with it unless every thread turns into endless flirtation as it used to.....

? sorry this one is just way over my head, are you saying that thread views drive change

Yes I did..... Do you not think that the Owners, Admins and Mods had to deal with the RTM button being banged nonstop as well as an endless number of PMS and Emails as change was occurring? Why would they have allowed this change to occur? Why were Mods replaced that would not support the right for all to be heard during the change? This site is a business and traffic contributes to value..... So certainly threads that generate people logging in over and over to check up on them and read them contribute more significantly to the value of the board..... the VOCAL are a definite minority..... So Yes... Lurkers read.... What they read is logged and Owners obviously paid attention to what was popular....

Sorry, but this is where I feel you go a little off the rails

So some of us, through networking, socializing and simply participating are tied into networks that include lurkers.....

Whispers, I must say that this was a very well thought out and respectful response, and I do appreciate that.

I find it interesting that nowhere in my original post did I mention you, but of course you were the one to respond, I truly believe that you believe that all of the changes you are spearheading are for the better.

This is where we might just have to agree to disagree, my point in the original post was that 90-95% of members here DO NOT PARTICIPATE, and for quite a while I was one of them. Where do you, or anyone else(including me) think that you have the right to speak for anyone but yourself.

Originally Posted by eglrdr

As I have said... I speak for myself.... Welcome to the Posting Side of the fence...... If more Lurkers come forward things will definitely get more interesting...... My personal opinion however is that there are far more that agree with the views I present then my dissenters.

It's an open board and I comment on anything of interest.....

Most of my posts are well thought out and respectful.... When people choose to debate I truly enjoy such.... I tend to be better written then many others though and none of this affects me on a personal level so it is usually the other party that gets personal in nature and off topic first.... When slammed I slam back harder..... I'm a bit better at it than most due solely to experience......

I'm not sure why the review count is not displaying..... I only recently began reviewing again but do have several hundred published reviews over the years..... so I might have 1 or 2 on you in the long run....

Personally, the only lurkers I'm concerned with are ones like "Ellie" that have that big incall over near 8th and I-35. Originally Posted by yeesh

Thanks Kara, at the risk of being accussed of flirting(which I think is against the rules now), I believe you have the wrong ass pic in your avatar.
?......

Let the bashing begin. Originally Posted by eglrdr
They don't, darling. That's just it. And I'm sure that was Kat's point.

This is exactly why I don't get riled up over posts about what we "should" charge, why a 19 year old stripper is better than me, etc.

Reality is, at the end of the day, those posters are not my clients. Never have been, and never will be. So why do I care what they say?

Kat is dead on. Serious hobbyists don't/rarely post. They don't have a reason to whine and complain. After all....they're getting laid

I've been more of a lurker myself in the last year. Just look at my post count...lol. That might change. I'm starting to feel the need to converse with like-minded individuals.

Alisha ...xoxo

Thanks Kara, at the risk of being accussed of flirting(which I think is against the rules now), I believe you have the wrong ass pic in your avatar. Originally Posted by eglrdr
Awww thank you!

And FWIW, this is not www.adam4adam.com. You can flirt with any lady you want. I fail to see how it's emasculating to tell a woman you think she's pretty?! In fact, it's quite the opposite! LOL Thanks again for this thought-provoking thread. I really like the way you think.
Whispers, so not to take up any more bandwith, I am not going to quote your whole response, but I will comment.

first I was out of line with the 19yo comment, my bad.

the mention of the "am I seen as a pimp" thread was meant to be lighthearted, again I apologize if it was not taken in the spirit intended..maybe I should have put a smiley face on it.

As far as the review counts(I'm sure you have a few on me), again I was responding to your opinion of the people HERE, who you felt left, but weren't a great loss to the community anyway.
the mention of the am I seen as a pimp thread was meant to be lighthearted, again I apologize if it was not taken in the spirit intended..maybe I should have put a smiley face on it. Originally Posted by eglrdr
YES YOU SHOULD HAVE!
.....maybe I should have put a smiley face on it. Originally Posted by eglrdr
It does seem like the right Smiley Face can mask any attitude....

If I can just find the right one that will let me get away with calling a certain wench by the name she so truly deserves without catching Points I'll be ready for her return!
If I can just find the right one that will let me get away with calling a certain wench by the name she so truly deserves without catching Points I'll be ready for her return! Originally Posted by Whispers
Now don't go and try and hijack my thread with vitriol, this is meant to be a peaceful discussion between well adjusted adults.