Trip

• Maya
  • 08-14-2010, 12:33 PM
I am taking a trip to San Antonio, any ideas on what to do, where to stay?

Thanks Maya
The river walk is awesome of course but here are some other gems in SA....

Try out for mexican pico de gallo. i like their food better than mi tierra. homemade toritllas, etc.

Chachos is really good too. they are a great late night stop to eat after going clubbing, etc. Lot's of beautiful people go there, it's almost like a club!

Lulu's has excellent chicken fried steak and was featured on man vs. food. try out the chicken fried steak dipped in queso!

I have stayed at the marriot downtown. it was nice...

this will also be moved to the proper forum since this is not hobby related..

have fun there,

sixx
Depends on what you ae looking for.....Downtown will give you access to the riverwalk with many great restaurants and clubs; Howl At The Moon is a great kareoke bar; I got a free shirt for starting a conga line one night.

The Marriot is a good choice with many online specials during the middle of the week, etc. Many historic hotels also if that is of interest to you; The Menger Hotel and the St. Anthony Hotel are downtown; easy access to the riverwalk and The Alamo.

One of my favorite restaurants in San Antonio is La Fogata on Vance Jackson, Loop 410. Beautiful outdoor patios and very good Interior Mexican food.

Also try posting in the San Antonio forum; I am sure the ladies and gentlemen south of us would be glad to help.....
The Menger Hotel downtown. It is haunted and has been featured on The Travel Channel. I think it is over 100 years old. It's right next to The Alamo and is in walking distance to the Riverwalk and the Rivercenter Mall.

You have to eat at La Fogata Mexican Restaurant on Vance Jackson. OMG! It's beautiful and the food is the best in the world. The service is A+++.
Mi Tierra is also good in Market Square.

There is also La Canterra Resort which is 4***. You can enjoy a game of golf and fining dining. It's right across the street from The Shops at La Canterra which is a beautiful mall with VERY high end stores. The Resort is also across the street from Fiesta Texas.

You may also like to visit the Witte Museum on Broadway close to downtown or see a play or concert at the Majestic Theater. It's a small intimate theater that seats only 3000. It is GORGEOUS! Very retro decor. Be sure and have dinner after the show at The Palm Restaurant across the street. Yum!

Enjoy.
The WaterMark is on the Riverwalk. It has only about 22 rooms in it and a pool and a spa. I've stayed in all listed above and this one was the best. Get your wallet out though. I paid extra for a balcony room. They have a fantastic resturaunt below (Seafood ) as well.
I echo the sentiments regarding La Fogata. Mexican food at its finest!
If you're working, realize that a lot of the guys don't want to deal with the hassle of driving and parking downtown.

For some reason, the medical center area NW on I-10 seems to be popular with the ladies.
Prickly pear margaritas at the Zuni Grille on the riverwalk. One's good. Two's all you'll need....
great point! if working, i would steer clear of downtown. too much of a hassle for the gents.

medical center or even airport area are good locations.

what kind of things/music are you interested in?

*pat o briens -downtown is really awesome. go on a wed. and $10 you will get WASTED off hurricanes alone. lol . they have several rooms with different music and a good mix of people

*stone oak area has some trendy bars with good music. music for all.
chicago bar/cross eyed seagull (i think thats it)/cielito/duo/sin...the list goes on

send me a pm if you need more insight ...gl out here!!
  • Maya
  • 08-16-2010, 10:38 AM
I am going to be going to San Antonio soon, any ideas on what to do, where to stay?
medical center is best

be sure and visit the Riverwalk

Have fun!!!!
DR is right, The riverwalk has shade, great Mariachis, lots of bars to grab snacks or a drink... plan a couple of hours, and plan to relax.
  • Mokoa
  • 08-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Anywhere along the north side is best. The Medical Center area, which is on the northwest side, and the Airport area are the most popular areas among the providers. If you plan to do any shopping there are a number of great places to go. Yes, the Riverwalk is a wonderful place to go.

Feel free to PM me if I can be of further assistance.
moved from coed and merged with previous "Trip" thread posted by OP to not have two threads asking the same question
La Fogata used to be good, but not in the past 5 years or so. They've gone really downhill in both service and food quality based on my two visits there over the last 6 months. The tortillas weren't even home made, but out of the bag on both occasions. Don't know if that is now the norm, or their machine is down. Even with service that was never able to get an order for 4 or more out at the same time, it used to be my favorite place in SATX because of the atmosphere. But not any more because the food just does not cut it now. Much better is La Hacienda owned and run by the same family that has Los Barios restaurant, a SATX tradition since I move there in the 70's. La Hacienda is on Redland Road 1 mile north of 1604. Redland is the exit on 1604 just east of 281. Their Mole is the best I've had anywhere, including Mexico, and killer puffy tacos too.

Other stuff to see there bsides the river walk is Sea World, Fiesta TX, the beautiful Mall near Fiesta TX, the Alamo, tour the Missions on mission drive, or just walk around down town. The Zoo is also pretty cool, but not my first choice in the summer heat, kind of smelly then.