What Criteria Do You Use In Selecting A Hobby Hotel?

"Hypothetically speaking. . .

If I were to return to the room late at night with a few Hell's Angels accompanying me and walk right past the front desk, then call down from the room and ask for a case of Fleischman's, a couple of gallons of Old Crow, an assortment of power tools, and lubricants. . .well let's just say the room service guy would deliver it promptly and wouldn't even raise an eyebrow. I like that in a hotel. That's why I always stay at the Raleigh Inn while in South Florida!"

--Anthony Bourdain on how to select a hotel room
lol--great quote!!{that guy is on my "must do" list...lol}

I look for cleanliness/price along star rating must be at least 3/size{I like convention center hotels best}/and convenience for client
As I clicked into this thread and read the first post regarding the Old Crow, Power Tools and Lube I laughed so hard I almost wet myself. Now if I can laugh that hard several times a day I will be all set!
Lots of foot traffic!
There is NOTHING worst than being booked from morning till night, but the hotel you're staying in is SLOW ; the only traffic coming and going is your guest...NOOOOOOOT good at all!

Before I book a room...I usually drive around the buiding to see how busy it is...if there is only 1 car in the parking lot...I usually pass on it!
Lots of foot traffic!
There is NOTHING worst than being booked from morning till night, but the hotel you're staying in is SLOW ; the only traffic coming and going is your guest...NOOOOOOOT good at all!

Before I book a room...I usually drive around the buiding to see how busy it is...if there is only 1 car in the parking lot...I usually pass on it! Originally Posted by Gabriella4u
As a hobbyist, I prefer convention hotels as well ... as long as there is a convention going on in the hotel. The number of people and the constant commotion serve as a detraction from any single guest or activity.

Due to a new law in Illinois that targets "johns" and prosecutes their patronage as a felony, I no longer feel safe scheduling an appointment with a provider on an in-call basis if I know she is entertaining a number of gents that day. I'm in a profession that is licensed by the state and my license is automatically withdrawn if I'm convicted of a felony ... any felony.

Hence, I feel much safer doing out-calls because there is less chance of being noticed since there isn't a pattern of different gents entering and leaving during the day. This presents a couple of problems:
  • Many providers don't do out-calls due to safety and logistical issues I completely acknowledge and understand.
  • Selecting a quality hotel (especially a convention hotel) dramatically increases my total cost to the point of it being prohibitive.
I had an opportunity this week that illustrates my point. There is a provider I've been trying to schedule with for about six months. She contacted me to let me know she'd be in the area this week. I immediately went to work at booking a room in one of the three convention hotels in the city located in central Illinois. The cheapest room I found was $202 including tax.

Since the provider's out-call rate is $350 for one hour, my cost for a 1-hour appointment equals $552 before any tip, small gift and travel expense. While this may be affordable to any number of gents, it isn't to me at this point in time. I'm no different than many businessmen in the current economic climate; we've seen our personal incomes dramatically reduced.

Knowing this provider, there isn't any way I would book a room in a lower rated hotel. That would not be acceptable. Hence, I had to contact the provider and decline scheduling an appointment.

Unfortunately, the new law in Illinois is driving me, and several other gents I'm associated with on a regular basis, to a different avenue in the hobby that provides the required level of safety and discretion while remaining affordable.
A clean hotel with free parking, fridge, great adult pay-per-view, and also decent foot traffic in the lobby as one person already said.

Of all the chains I've stayed at, Hyatt, especially Hyatt Place hotels seem to fit my needs best, especially if I'm staying more than one night.