Apple and the tax evasion

What is your take on Apple setting up false companies to keep from paying taxes. They were able to keep 78 billion from being taxed.
Good business or fraud?
  • WTF
  • 05-21-2013, 07:04 AM
If it was legal ....good business.

If it is illegal ....bad business.

IMHO, doing something like that should be illegal.
What is your take on Apple setting up false companies to keep from paying taxes. They were able to keep 78 billion from being taxed.
Good business or fraud? Originally Posted by i'va biggen
I think it sucks, the bastards.
Nobody had problem with Apple when elitist Steve Jobs was alive. Now they are evil capitalists too
These days, fraud is good (big) business.
Just the term "false company" implies some sort of attempt at deception. Isn't this the same thing that ENRON did? They created false entities to trade energy with which pushed their stock value higher until it reached a point of no return. Now I would like to know if they had any help from inside the government doing this.
Corporations are just a piece of paper - an agreement between parties; they shouldn't be taxed. Just as unions are not taxed.

What is immoral, bankrupt, and broken is our tax system, not Apple.

And as a side note: What is a "false" company; if it existed, how is it false ?
Rand Paul is 100% right on this issue; Paul tweets:
Instead of examining our broken tax system, the US Senate is about to harass Apple-one of the greatest business success stories in history.
and
To US Senate: I say, instead of Apple executives, you should have brought in a giant mirror if you want to see who is responsible.
and
Today we could vote to lower the corporate income tax but we won't. Today we could vote to let profits come home at 5% but we won't.
and many many more tweets coming out of Rand Paul......
Okay, scrap the whole system instead of putting one more bandage on top of another bandage to get what you think you are being cheated out of. How to get the politicians on board? Cut corporate tax to zero and tax the incomes of the dot. com millionaires. Or got to the Fair Tax and just tax their spending. Pick one or find something else.

You are right that if a company is able to unfairly (I picked that word on purpose) to game the system then the system is not put together very good. A company like Apple, Google, or Yahoo should not get any more benefits than some mom and pop, brick and mortar store.
Thanks for the feed back I was wondering if this would run along party lines.
Make them to France and see how they like it...

Legally, they may have played within the rules.. The problem is the loopholes...
So, how much does Apple actually pay in income taxes? I'll be it is more than GE, which is run by one of Obama's rich cronies. GE pays $0.00 in taxes. Zero, zilch, nada. Why is Apple a scandal, and GE not? Did Apple not donate enough to the Obama campaign?

I vow to buy only Apple electronics from here on out. They are pissing off the right people. There must be something good about that company.

Oh, and I refuse to buy anything I know to be GE.
Apple was the largest corporate taxpayer in the US - $6 billion.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/carmineg...ol-under-fire/

Key quote:
--------------------------------------------
Which of these statements is accurate:

Apple ’s Web of Tax Shelters Saved Billions

Apple Paid $6 Billion in Taxes, Largest Corporate Tax Payer in U.S.?

Both are accurate. The first headline is from the front page of The New York Times today and the second is from Apple CEO Tim Cook as he testified today before a Senate subcommittee investing the practice of protecting offshore profits from U.S. taxes.
-------------------------------------------

Apple paid a ton in taxes on its US income.

The other companies are designed to minimize the bite the IRS takes out of Apple's foreign income.

Tax evasion is illegal.

Tax avoidance is NOT illegal.

What Apple did was legal. It was tax avoidance.
So, how much does Apple actually pay in income taxes? I'll be it is more than GE, which is run by one of Obama's rich cronies. GE pays $0.00 in taxes. Zero, zilch, nada. Why is Apple a scandal, and GE not? Did Apple not donate enough to the Obama campaign?

I vow to buy only Apple electronics from here on out. They are pissing off the right people. There must be something good about that company.

Oh, and I refuse to buy anything I know to be GE. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy

Then I take it you are for tax loopholes.
No, Eva, my intellectually challenged friend. I'm just wondering why Obama's friends don't receive the same scrutiny as others. Now I would never insinuate that Obama is corrupt and dishonest. Nope, wouldn't do that. I'd say it outright. Obama is the most corrupt and dishonest President in history.