November 22, 1963

And the conspiracy loons are already out.

I was 9 years old that day and I still remember everything that happened that weekend.

I was sitting with my Dad watching TV when Oswald was killed.

I was a conspiracy loon for years too but now I am totally convinced that Oswald acted alone.

TV is full of all kinds of shows right now. Some are pretty good. I thought Parkland was excellent. Killing Kennedy with Rob Lowe was awful.

But even after 50 years............it still hurts.
  • CJ7
  • 11-13-2013, 09:43 AM
me too .... first human I ever saw shot, and killed. My mom turned off the TV and made me go outside.
And the conspiracy loons are already out.

I was 9 years old that day and I still remember everything that happened that weekend.

I was sitting with my Dad watching TV when Oswald was killed.

I was a conspiracy loon for years too but now I am totally convinced that Oswald acted alone.

TV is full of all kinds of shows right now. Some are pretty good. I thought Parkland was excellent. Killing Kennedy with Rob Lowe was awful.

But even after 50 years............it still hurts. Originally Posted by TheDaliLama
What has convinced you Oswald acted alone?
I was 9 years old that day

But even after 50 years............it still hurts. Originally Posted by TheDaliLama
I thought women only lied about their ages!
  • CJ7
  • 11-13-2013, 10:55 AM
I thought women only lied about their ages! Originally Posted by LexusLover

go hijack one of whirlies threads
What has convinced you Oswald acted alone? Originally Posted by acp5762
Once the so called "Magic Bullet" was proven to be possible, and I have seen several lab studies that duplicated it exactly, you've eliminated a second gunman. Everything else is just speculation. There is no other proof of another persons involvement.

Also read Gerald Posner's "Case Closed".

The Warren Report was not accurate...but it was close. Close enough.
I thought women only lied about their ages! Originally Posted by LexusLover
Shhhhhhh........
What has convinced you Oswald acted alone? Originally Posted by acp5762

LOL, here we go.

I could come up with a million of these types of questions and I'm sure a conspiracy buff will have some sort of whacky answer but....one of the reasons, among many, that I've always been convinced that Oswald acted alone is because he got the job at the Texas School Book Depository about a month before the route of the Kennedy motorcade became public knowledge. Nobody knew what route the motorcade would take until a few days before Kennedy arrived in Dallas when they (unbelievably, at least nowadays) published the route in the newspaper. Oswald had been working there since October.

So, was Oswald just incredibly lucky when he picked a building that would provide him with a skillet shot on the passing motorcade? Or is it more likely he formulated the idea to kill Kennedy after he had the job and when he realized Kennedy would be riding in a vehicle 100 feet away from the building he worked in?

I've also never understood all the ballistics questions, the "magic bullet", the way Kennedy's head snapped around, etc. Anybody who has hunted or utilized firearms knows that bullets do goofy things when they strike flesh, organs and bone. I shot a deer standing straightaway from me with a .243 once right below the ear and the round exited the chest cavity where one of it's forelegs joined the body. The round hit the deer and went straight down. Bullets do funny things.

I dunno, I have always believed Oswald acted alone.
go hijack one of whirlies threads Originally Posted by CJ7
Grasshopper, don't you know to sit still and be quiet when his Holiness has opened a thread?
Once the so called "Magic Bullet" was proven to be possible, and I have seen several lab studies that duplicated it exactly, you've eliminated a second gunman. Everything else is just speculation. There is no other proof of another persons involvement.

The Warren Report was not accurate...but it was close. Close enough. Originally Posted by TheDaliLama
+1

LOL, here we go.

I could come up with a million of these types of questions and I'm sure a conspiracy buff will have some sort of whacky answer but....one of the reasons, among many, that I've always been convinced that Oswald acted alone is because he got the job at the Texas School Book Depository about a month before the route of the Kennedy motorcade became public knowledge. Nobody knew what route the motorcade would take until a few days before Kennedy arrived in Dallas when they (unbelievably, at least nowadays) published the route in the newspaper. Oswald had been working there since October.

So, was Oswald just incredibly lucky when he picked a building that would provide him with a skillet shot on the passing motorcade? Or is it more likely he formulated the idea to kill Kennedy after he had the job and when he realized Kennedy would be riding in a vehicle 100 feet away from the building he worked in?

I've also never understood all the ballistics questions, the "magic bullet", the way Kennedy's head snapped around, etc. Anybody who has hunted or utilized firearms knows that bullets do goofy things when they strike flesh, organs and bone. I shot a deer standing straightaway from me with a .243 once right below the ear and the round exited the chest cavity where one of it's forelegs joined the body. The round hit the deer and went straight down. Bullets do funny things.

I dunno, I have always believed Oswald acted alone
. Originally Posted by timpage
+1

The Warren Report was not accurate...but it was close. Close enough. Originally Posted by TheDaliLama
Posner's book is excellent. Vincent Bugliosi's book is also very good.

It was such an unbelievable event that nobody can accept the idea that a nobody like Oswald was able to pull it off. The shot wasn't that difficult. As I recall, the headshot was made from 166 feet? A bit more than 50 yards? With a telescopic sight? And Oswald shot Expert in the Corps. That's a gimme.
  • CJ7
  • 11-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Grasshopper, don't you know to sit still and be quiet when his Holiness has opened a thread? Originally Posted by LexusLover
(walks across rice paper) ... nope.

(walks back across rice paper) ... I mean, yup.
For government work........

I don't know what lab studies you are referring to or what the conditions were. But the Kennedy assassination in one of the hardest things to discuss because of so many studies that contradict each other. I've heard Oswald was a cracker jack shot and I've heard the guy couldn't shoot the side of a barn with a cannon. Some people have been able to duplicate the shooting others couldn't. I saw one study were the shooter successfully duplicated the shots but wasn't even using the same type rifle. Many studies are quite flawed. Our History books show Oswald as a loan shooter. We'll never change history and that's all there is to it. To me Nov. 22 1963 means only one thing and that is, America lost one hell of a President that day. We lost him for all the wrong reasons and we will never see the likes of anyone like him as president ever again.
Although I landed a bit short of buying into any of the popular conspiracy theories, I did have a few doubts at one time. However, a number of articles I've read over the years have led me to be extremely skeptical of the view that Oswald did not act alone.

But there's another compelling reason for that belief.

An old elk hunting buddy of Dad's was a fairly senior FBI agent at the time. He said that Hoover and other Bureau higher-ups did their dead-level best -- almost from day one -- to yank the investigation from the Dallas Police Department, which had told the FBI that it didn't have jurisdiction in this case and should fuck off. Dad's friend said that a number of FBI bigwigs and a swarm of agents spent many, many hundreds of man hours in the early days searching for any hint of conspiracy, since that would presumably allow them to assert jurisdictional control and yank critical portions of the investigation from the Dallas PD. His belief was simply that if the FBI had found even a hint of the existence of a conspiracy, they would have done so -- and that they put on a full-court press in an effort to do just that. Sounds like it may have been a fairly bitter turf war.

I'm not knowledgeable of the law concerning jurisdiction in such matters, or even of the relevant timeline, so I'm not sure whether any of that is true. But it always made it seem to me that it was more likely than not that none of the conspiracy theories held water.

As a number of people have noted over the years, the idea that some pathetic little pissant can change the course of history by suddenly ending the life of a U.S. president is just something that's tough for people to get their arms around.

So many tend to want to believe there must be some "more substantial," sinister plot hatched by very powerful (but equally evil) people.