Hobby Phone

I was reading another thread and saw this topic. Should I invest in a hobby phone?
by all means YES
Most people agree that security is much better with a phone that isn't in any way registered to your name, and that you can throw in the dumpster and start over if necessary.
My recommendation is this................

Get a pay as you go phone and 2 sim cards from Walmart.

Cycle the sim cards every 60 days.

When the sim card does not have any minutes and sets for 30 days, you are assigned a new phone number when you power up the sim card.

This process stops a lot of hooktard issues and keeps LE from finding you when a provider keeps your # on file.

Erase all numbers and text messages in your phone every day.
I used to NEVER think I needed a hobby phone. I'm single, I don't mind getting crazy texts popped-up at work, and thought I had nothing to hide. In my case, there are CRAZIES out there who will call and KEEP CALLING YOU. I almost had to change my number. Since I spent about $25, then another $25 two months later, at the T-Mobile store for a prepaid, I have not had to deal with uunwanted calls.
  • bbkid
  • 01-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Hobby phone is a MUST HAVE, imho.
I either use TRACPhone or NET10. I also heard about using Google Voice, but that seems confusing. Lol!
Yes get one. To convince you I will tell you a true story. I am an attorney and in the course of a case I am handling I requested an opposing parties cell phone records over several days to determine if he had made contact with certain third parties. I got the records and then I had my assistant call all of the numbers. It turns out several of the numbers were to spa's around Houston and in Dallas. Worse yet, the opposing party was married. Would the numbers have been admissible in Court? Probably not in the circumstances of the case, but that doesn't mean that the opposing party wasn't in a very tight spot. Now if this was one of you, I apologize, but for god's sake everyone should get a hobby phone.

Y'all can save your bitching about how you don't like lawyers, I don't care.
Yep, t-mobile or at&t, - prepaid. Phones are cheap to.
get one by all means
Yes....For sure! I've seen more guys get busted cause of they were to lazy to get a hobby phone.

Get a prepaid.....plenty to chose from. But, get one.
The question: "Should I get a hobby phone?" merits the same response as would "Should I use a condom?"
  • MLisa
  • 01-09-2010, 07:08 AM
Well said Alpha Male!
I've had a hobby phone even before I got into the hobby, its easy, convenient and disposable. But I do smile when I see I am not the only one in meeting w/2 phones.
One more thing.............do not take your non hobby phone into your session.
Tiger Woods should have had a hobby phone. Nuff said.