Low Down on Southwest Ft. Worth?

Hi, I am contemplating a move from Austin to SW Ft. Worth (Hulen Mall area). Would you be so kind to give me your opinion on the area as far as crime, traffic, etc. I have read that there is a major NAFTA highway being constructed in/near this area. Has that snarled traffic to a crawl?

Also, how long would it take to go from the Hulen Mall area to say Richardson/Plano for a nooner? or a late night appointment at a provider's incall?

Your info is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, KinkyPhreak
The Hulen Mall area is pretty nice, not an abundance of crime and traffic isn't too bad outside of the possibility of rush hour shenanigans. But in comparison to a lot of DFW right now the traffic is good. The problem you will run into is that its not convenient at all to get from there to Richardson/Plano, or most places on the Dallas side of things. It could easily take an hour and a half to make that drive. That being said, there are a decent number of providers in Ft Worth so you may not feel the need to drive far for that.
Traffic along I-20 is a mess thanks to the construction, but there is progress on finishing that stretch of highway.

One of the best providers has a place just off Hulen: MandyFW.

The Hulen Mall area is a solid middle- to upper-middle-class area, not far from TCU and 15 minutes from downtown.

The construction around Hulen Mall isn't really affecting traffic, but that could change, as we found out this week, when the work they began doing on the new freeway at westbound I-30 began making it even more difficult than usual to get across the Trinity River in the evening.

Look at a map: Southwest Fort Worth to Plano is probably around 60 miles. Figure an hour to drive it -- at 3 a.m. Add at least 30 minutes any other time of day.

MHO is that Fort Worth isn't a great hunting ground if you're looking for young head-turners, but there are enough providers in the area that the guys who can't make it to North Dallas can find someone they don't mind seeig.
I recently moved to this same area from South Texas. It is a nice neighborhood in general..like anywhere some parts or better than others..Getting to North Dallas can be tricky .It depends on the time of day..I had a GF in Richardson and i have made the Run up there in as lil as 20 minutes and have been stuck in traffic for a couple hours too..You will just have to learn when to make that run or plan accordingly and go when traffic lighter..Dont even think about trying it between 7:30-9:00 am or 4:30-6:00 PM not unless you pack a lunch and an overnight bag lol..Sometimes its best to take the Scenic routes longer distance but definantly Quicker...Their are some traffic concerns around the Hulem Mall are due to construction..but doesnt take long to find alternate routes around the problem areas.I tavel to Hulen /I20 about 5-6 times a day and rarely do i ever go thru that actiual intersection . I have founds numerous ways around it..IE go thru neighborhoods and residential streets instead..
A trip from SW Fort Worth to Richardson/Plano is an ordeal, even without all the highway construction nearer the destination. A nooner during the workweek would be pretty much out of the question, unless you plan on a four hour lunch.
They're working on a new tollway, which will help with traffic problems, but you will still be looking at a solid hour for that trip. You're looking at 3 hours elapsed time for a 1 hour appointment; probably not feasible for a nooner. I used to take half days of vacation and schedule appointments at 1 or 2 pm. That way you catch the girls fresh, usually their first appointment of the day, and beat the rush hour traffic coming back.
Thanks to everyone! I really appreciate the info.
I recently moved to this same area from South Texas. It is a nice neighborhood in general..like anywhere some parts or better than others..Getting to North Dallas can be tricky .It depends on the time of day..I had a GF in Richardson and i have made the Run up there in as lil as 20 minutes and have been stuck in traffic for a couple hours too..You will just have to learn when to make that run or plan accordingly and go when traffic lighter..Dont even think about trying it between 7:30-9:00 am or 4:30-6:00 PM not unless you pack a lunch and an overnight bag lol..Sometimes its best to take the Scenic routes longer distance but definantly Quicker...Their are some traffic concerns around the Hulem Mall are due to construction..but doesnt take long to find alternate routes around the problem areas.I tavel to Hulen /I20 about 5-6 times a day and rarely do i ever go thru that actiual intersection . I have founds numerous ways around it..IE go thru neighborhoods and residential streets instead.. Originally Posted by Texasquest
I assume you had a helicopter to make that trip in 20 minutes at anytime of the day?

A trip from SW Fort Worth to Richardson/Plano is an ordeal, even without all the highway construction nearer the destination. A nooner during the workweek would be pretty much out of the question, unless you plan on a four hour lunch. Originally Posted by TinMan
I used to go from Northeast Mall to Garland/Richardson area quite often. This was prior to the Grapevine Funnel and the latest 635 work. I avoid toll roads, why give someone a record of your travels? Of course, tollroads were no help back then for this drive. I could make the drive in about 50 minutes best time, over 2 hours worst time.

I always planned on a 1/2 day for any adventure. Usually scheduled early AM, about 8 AM, and I could do a 2 hour and be back to FW downtown before noon. Pretty much always did a 2 hour because anything less than that was not worth it. Had to figure on 4 hours drive time, a i hour adventure seemed pretty dumb.

Traffic is much worse in all areas. I do think there are a couple of strong areas to play. The North Dallas area and the mid-cities area. If you live outside of those areas, you will have limited choices at best(may be very good choices, but not much variety). On the other hand, it does seem like a few more ladies have decided to occassionally visit FW from the Dallas area.
There is a pocket of homes in SW Fort Worth that has the LOWEST crime in Fort Worth. It's a nice middle glass suburban area of semi-custom tract homes. The area runs between Hulen and Summer Creek road south of Columbus Trail. A look at the FW crime map confirms this area has much less crime than an already nice area called Candleridge. The tollway will come close but it will still be an ordeal to get to the Dallas AMPS, close to an hour last time I drove it. I20 east of Bryant Irving is fine, even the construction area is not bad by Texas standards. Depending on your needs, there are a lot of great providers just minutes away so you can save the Dallas trips for a once-in-a-while thing. Overall, driving the construction area is still better than Dallas traffic with no construction. SW FW is definitely the place to live for me.