If you're driving on I-10 this weekend (really anywhere in Houston) you better watch your speed.

TX2K is here all weekend & it draws 10's of thousands of street racers from all over the country which means the local police & DPS are out in force, stopped on the shoulders, both left & right sides, on I-10 in numbers bigger then I have ever seen.

Most of the hotels west of the Beltway on I-10 are filled with racers & the event is officially in Baytown, so I-10 is the main stretch most drivers are using, but I'm sure the police presence is beefed up on many other local freeways as well.

Tonight I got on I-10 at Shepard & had to drive about 35 miles west to the Grand Parkway & then I turned right around & headed back towards downtown.

I saw at least 2 dozen police stopped on the west & east bound sides of the freeway. I actually lost count both times, when I was driving west & then back east. They were really at just about every exit.

I'm not kidding when I tell you people are doing 50 MPH on I-10 right now, I swear.

I'm sure the general public is trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

And most likely it will be worse tomorrow night with the main event & St. Patrick's day overlapping.

Safe travels all!
I saw the same. Drive safely.

XOXO AK
This is legit info. Also, if you have a flashy car be extra careful.

Watch out for the racers too. Vroom vroom!
I guess this means for a few days I won't feel like I'm parked on I10 ...

.... when I do the speed limit .
Thank God I know the alternate routes around town plus to and from my job at I-10 and dairy ashford
Yehaw, glad I saw this! Was considering going to the St. Paddy's Day party this afternoon at the Saint Arnold's Brewery off 1-10 downtown. https://www.saintarnold.com/st-patricks-day/

Methinks we'll detour to one of the many other area shamrockin' events. My companion for the day HATES traffic, and has a wee bit of a leprechaun lead foot. Thanks, Brooke!
Yehaw, glad I saw this! Was considering going to the St. Paddy's Day party this afternoon at the Saint Arnold's Brewery off 1-10 downtown. https://www.saintarnold.com/st-patricks-day/

Methinks we'll detour to one of the many other area shamrockin' events. My companion for the day HATES traffic, and has a wee bit of a leprechaun lead foot. Thanks, Brooke!
Originally Posted by Fancyinheels
if you are coming in from the north side you can skirt over to 59/69 then go inbound on 10 and get to St. Arnolds
or exit Calvacade, go east to Hardy st. then south..
Yup TX2k18
Thanks for the advice, gentlemen! I did make it to St. Arnold's (along with other fun-filled stops), and was only on I-10 after exiting I-45 for all of a minute. Smooth sailing. Great bands at the brewery gig (Tomfoolery and Dead Rabbits rocked!), funny contests, games, interesting and educational craft beer tour. Ended Saturday at a pub on a lake having Jameson (of course) plus corned beef and cabbage, which FYI is an AMERICAN Irish tradition, not actually a popular dish on the Emerald Isle. Shillelagh polishing occurred soon thereafter. Sunday was awesome, too. Just a sin-sational St. Paddy's weekend!

By the way, cool avatar, El_C!
^^ Sounds delightful!
Went to the country place Friday night and saw more popo than ever on a state hwy than I have ever seen.
Went to the country place Friday night and saw more popo than ever on a state hwy than I have ever seen. Originally Posted by The2Dogs

Y
ep! Over the weekend I noticed a huge number of LE units patrolling, too. In MoCo, I saw one fellow on his face on the ground getting handcuffed while another was being frisked against a car, line of wreckers waiting to haul the vehicle off. Looked like there were beer cans tumbling out of the driver's side door!

I bet Uber made a mint off the people who hadn't drowned all of their brain cells in booze, and county coffers got big boosts on tickets and fines. Can't say I'm not happy that
dangerous "Irish for the day" amateur drinkers seeing leprechauns riding unicorns with mermaids on shotgun were taken off the roads.
Bumping this because TX2K2 is back in town (now through Sunday) & traffic/speed enforcement is insane.

I just got to my place downtown & on the way I already noticed cops sitting on the shoulder lanes & numerous people pulled over on I-10 between highway 6 & downtown. Far more then I've ever seen on a Wednesday night.

So watch your speed. I'd say more "normal" people are getting pulled over vs. "racers" since the racers know this event is taking place.