Diego Garcia/Chaggos island

https://warontherocks.com/2019/07/ma...-indian-ocean/

looks like U.S. will have to vacate the island in the future.

Looks like the island of Mauritius won against UK over the ownership of Diego Garcia island/Chagos Island in the International Court ruling which was then supported by the UN General Assembly, 116 - 6 - 56.

this makes UK look bad in the long run; given the fact that UK took a page from the U.S. playbook on forced removal of Chagossians from the island. that part was shameful!!!

Ignoring even an advisory opinion would entail a loss of global standing for the United Kingdom and would undermine London’s credibility as a champion of the “rules-based international system.”
Hard to believe this atoll houses heavy bombers, much less had 1000 natives living on it at one time.

Some heavy and some not so heavy.
The facility/base has been there since Jimmy Carter was Prez. It pre-positions weapons and supplies needed in the event of Middle East/Persian Gulf crises.

I don't see a problem yet. We may eventually have to start paying rent to Mauritius. I don't think India or Mauritius, whose citizens are primarily of Indian descent, want to kick us out and invite the Chinese in.
The facility/base has been there since Jimmy Carter was Prez. It pre-positions weapons and supplies needed in the event of Middle East/Persian Gulf crises.

I don't see a problem yet. We may eventually have to start paying rent to Mauritius. I don't think India or Mauritius, whose citizens are primarily of Indian descent, want to kick us out and invite the Chinese in. Originally Posted by lustylad

the problem is not with india. they don't own or made claim to the island. they do however have a bunch of islands/atolls in that area, they're not as good as the Deigo Garcia atoll. they've apparently abandoned plans to build a base on one of those islands.

its the Mauritians. they're heavily involved with the chinese. and they discriminate the chagans as well.

UK essentially destroyed the Chagos culture of that island, none of the young uns want to go there.

don't know what the brits will go from there.
Let's ask China if they want to swap the Spratleys for Diego Garcia.