Best BBQ?

I like frufru threads that won't get locked as much as the next hobbyist.

So, I have a BBQ question.

Why do you thinck that KC BBQ is better than Texas BBQ?

or, do you.............and what do you see as the major differences and not so major differences?
I have to say that Texas smokes their meat well. Sadly, it is Mesquite that gives it a bit of a different bite. Their sauce, well, it is too sweet for my taste.

KC BBQ is know for both pork and beef. Texas - beef is king. Memphis and Carolina - its all about the oink.

Has LCs opened back up yet? I need some ribs!
Has LCs opened back up yet? I need some ribs! Originally Posted by BigMikeinKC
Yes.

http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/6149

Kisses,

- Jackie
I prefer KC BBQ over TX because the TX I had was smoked and drier.
KC is better because they smoke it differently, I was in Dallas once not to long ago and ate some BBQ, I had to go back to the counter and ask for some more sauce. They gave me a KC master piece bottle. I about crapped myself trying to keep from laughing.
  • Bubba
  • 02-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Having lived in KC most of my life, I of course like KC BBQ best. I like the sauce better.

Having said that, I like Texas and Carolina BBQ too. They are all good, just different!
So, Texas BBQ sauce is sweeter? But, when you tried the meat, it was dry.

I can see how that can be a problem if you do not like sweet sauce.

So, is KC sauce bitter?

How does your pulled pork compare to ours?
I was born in KC. Still, it's tough to beat The Salt Lick (http://www.saltlickbbq.com/) in Driftwood, TX about an hour SW of Austin. Top 10 in the Travel Channel's "101 Tastiest Places to Chowdown in America".

Why'd you have to bring up TX BBQ? Now I'm jonesin'.
As a born Texican my Grandaddy would tell me, ain't no great BBQ shack gonna need no sign to tell folks the grub is good. Sure as hell don't need to webby site or some high-falutin' big city idiot box crew coming up and getting in there biddness. That's what shotguns are for, running off the ill mannered city folk.

Listen up tow head, your in a strange town, you go to church, 1st Methodist (Church of Christ is a cult son) you ask the Pastor's wife politely where to go.

The best KC BBQ? I like Hayward's but that's a nostalgia thing. May not be the best but has the memories to confuse me into thinking so. In Texas it's that place that really didn't have a sign, that a buddy took me too. Got to be a shack, brisket served on butcher paper, great pork ribs with just the right amount of pull off the bone. The sauce shouldn't be sweet, but pack a wallop of jalapeño with a harmony of vinegar that will get your mind right.

Drive or ride west past Dozier's Barbeque and Deer Processing in Fulshear, jag left and to the right on the way to Simonton and Wallis, I go south on 1952 for the curves and then head back to East Bernard, which is just west of the Bernard river. You can't miss it.
I like Southeast BBQ which is a bit different. Meat is smoked for days first then the sauces are added after by you and range from sweet and tangy to hot and spicy. These guys in Florida are awesome:

Then up in Chicago is the best BBQ I ever tried from Sweet Baby Ray, the Emeril of BBQ:
The Food Channel did a documentary a couple of years ago to find out USA's best BBQ and held a cook off contest. The contestants were:

Carolina BBQ and their specialty on Pork, or Pulled Pork,

Memphis BBQ and their specialty on Ribs...dry and wet,

KC BBQ and their special array of secret sauces, &

Texas BBQ and their specialty on Beef.

The contest was held in Southern Cal and the taste testers were a specially chosen bunch who never had BBQ before. The results were:

1. Memphis BBQ
2. Texas and KC BBQ were tied (I think or very close for 2nd & 3rd with TX then KC respectively)
4. Carolina BBQ

As for me personally, the best I had was BBQ Kangaroo meat marinated in filet-mignon sauce at the Double Bay Steakhouse in Sydney Australia.

SF8
I know of the place that Wayward speaks....excellent BBQ

Also, a church up off I-45 North puts on an excellent feed.

Them church people know their BBQ.
dh when eating BBQ, Texas or KC, afterward do you prefer chess or checkers? Or does a good game before a meal build up an appetite?
My personal preference is to fuck with checker players and eat BBQ with chess players.

Take KC BBQ for example..................I have been paying attention to the BBQ discussion and am hoping that one or two of the establishments are good to go for BBQ and chess.

But, I can already tell that some establishments are for checker players.........and I wouldn't touch that BBQ with RBJs mouth.
When eating BBQ in Texas, I prefer a game of washers.

But the thread is about the best BBQ places.