Professional gamblers allowed to collect unemployment? Possibly

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/pr...ent-2020-04-16

Don't know of their success rate but according to the CARES ACT a lot of people who normally would not be able to collect unemployment are certainly eligible now

As always you are welcome to fact check as I don't know how credible this is. I just know unemployment rules are pretty loose right now.
...Don't know of their success rate but... Originally Posted by Sienna91

Take a gamble I guess. Generally, you can't write-off losses on gambling greater than your reported winnings with the IRS. You can gamble that they won't look back but that seems like trying to guess how many stitches Nancy Pelosi has received for her many face lifts over the years. Plus, I'm pretty sure the CARES act has the IRS doing a look-back next year. The unemployment would be on a per State basis. So roll the dice if ya wanna bet that both your State and IRS agencies won't be auditing things a year from now.
My former multimillionaire friend who drives Uber says he can't file for unemployment nor get a small business loan even though his ride count has cratered.
So is he a former friend or a former millionaire, or both?
I doubt gamblers can get unemployment because I doubt they pay the state or fed unemployment tax.
I just heard today that the small business loan portion has ran out
So is he a former friend or a former millionaire, or both? Originally Posted by Budman
Are you are former English teacher?
Fuck no. I hated school.
My former multimillionaire friend who drives Uber says he can't file for unemployment nor get a small business loan even though his ride count has cratered. Originally Posted by gnadfly

how did he get it then lose it?

get a big inheritance then blow it?
My former multimillionaire friend who drives Uber says he can't file for unemployment nor get a small business loan even though his ride count has cratered. Originally Posted by gnadfly
So is he a former friend or a former millionaire, or both? Originally Posted by Budman

get a big inheritance then blow it? Originally Posted by The_Waco_Kid
former multimillionaire driving uber????

that's rich!
I doubt gamblers can get unemployment because I doubt they pay the state or fed unemployment tax. Originally Posted by Budman
paying into unemployment has nothing to do with it, under the CARES ACT.. that's the whole point, people who normally could not qualify for unemployment now can. hence the title of this thread.

former multimillionaire driving uber????

that's rich! Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
I know a Guy who drove Uber last year, and is a multi-millionaire.. his money is from overseas, where he owns hotels and condominiums. money unknown to the Feds here.. he drives to make it look like he has an "occupation".. makes little money, and a cursory examination of his tax return would reveal hidden money. his mortgage and property taxes exceed his "income" by 300%.. so much for the "lifestyle audits" we hear the IRS does on occasion.

get a big inheritance then blow it? Originally Posted by The_Waco_Kid
He built high end spec homes and went broke during the housing bubble. I feel for the guy. Whenever he had money he was always treating his friends well. Now he can't find a decent job because of his age.
paying into unemployment has nothing to do with it, under the CARES ACT.. that's the whole point, people who normally could not qualify for unemployment now can. hence the title of this thread.

I know a Guy who drove Uber last year, and is a multi-millionaire.. his money is from overseas, where he owns hotels and condominiums. money unknown to the Feds here.. he drives to make it look like he has an "occupation".. makes little money, and a cursory examination of his tax return would reveal hidden money. his mortgage and property taxes exceed his "income" by 300%.. so much for the "lifestyle audits" we hear the IRS does on occasion. Originally Posted by Chung Tran
After this shit is over if it ever will be. There won't be a "Care Act" it will morph into a "Sorry Motherfucker Act". Anything the Government does with "Act" at the end is just what it is, a big fucking act.