Spanking Bench design considerations?

As I have some skill at furniture design and building, a local domme of my acquaintance has commissioned the construction of a purpose-built Spanking Bench. We have gone over her needs and reviewed the literature. Her specification includes accommodating male subs of mature age, and sometime ample girth with potential knee difficulties. The current design will be a lightly padded top set 28 inches off the floor, measuring 20 x 26 inches, and a knee support shelf of the same width by perhaps 12 inches some 13 inches lower. The structure will be sized to support clients up to 300 pounds (indeed, I will be proof testing the article with such a load before committing her customers). There will be appropriate restraints and a workman-like finish as this is to be a proof of principle prototype, potentially leading to construction of a finer example later.

Do any of you professionally dominant ladies have further suggestions on form or function? Not being of such a mind myself (For my own entertainment I prefer to discipline submissive women). I am personally unacquainted with the use of such implements to discipline male submissives.
For padding I would suggest using a much firmer foam underneath. Since you mention potential knee issues with clients, you need much more protection for the knees. Too many spanking benches are designed to support the weight of a slight woman and not a much larger man.

Other than that the only thing I can think of is you should do some testing on it (i.e. people) to find the optimum design and fittings. You don't need to be a domme for that.
Keep in mind that a 300 pound client needs more support when they are jumping around. Laws of physics come into play here. I would recommend heavy padding & hardware graded for a greater weight. Make sure that the cover is non-porous and bleachable.

I was looking for a picture of mine, but it looks like I don't have any pics of just my spanking bench.
I am not into giving or receiving pain, but I rember one of my early FBSM providers used a regular massage table and she started off with some manscaping then I was laying on my stomach. We both commented on how a hole might be nice for my dick, it almost hurt laying on such a hard on. Again not into the BDSM scene, I am not sure if an erection is common during a spanking or if it is even practial to build for general body types, ie we are all different sizes and shapes and I am not exactly sure how she might use such a bench. Just my two cents, if perhaps the part the guys chest was to lay on would be made longer so the client could lay out flat with a hole or trap door for some type of penis tease and pain.
Will you be posting pic's when it is done?
When designing things for patient support in a health-care setting, engineers typically design with a 2 1/5 x safety margin. That is, if the support item is rated for 3oo pounds, it is designed to hold up to 750 pounds befor breaking. I'm sure that most quality furnature is seasigned something like that. I would think that a safety factor of at least 2x would be required.

What if someone decides to double up on the device for some solid humping (stap-on or otherwise)? It could happen!
This will sound RIDICULOUS, but there is method to my madness.

Go to Sunday Mass at your local friendly neighborhood Catholic church.

Inspect the kneelers in the pews. Consider what they have to do, and how much weight they have to support.
Sidewinder, I did draw upon memories of church pew kneelers in the design phase. Great minds think alike!

And, yes there will be a demonstated factor of safety. Other design safety items are included, particularly with regard to tipping and sharp edges.

The padding was always planned firm: 1 inch of ensolite (sleeping bag pad material) under marine grade vinyl.
Bench delivered, acceptance test flight conducted, customer has placed in revenue service. Thanks, everyone.
Proud to say I got to take the first test flight. Didn't even know how much I would be into this. I kind of went in as an experimentation, but have found it to have been much more enjoyable than I thought.

I had done very light bdsm in my past civilian life and have never enjoyed being the dom, but realized that the bd and spanking is definitely something I would like to explore further.

Thank you to Ryl and my coach who made the experience much more than I expected (mostly from myself).
So is it possible for us to see pictures of the finished bench?
Attachment failed. Working.