St. Patricks Day Parades

After attending the parade in KCMO year after year, I feel a bit of change is in order. So THIS year, I'm going to the Lawrence parade. I don't know if they allow you to drink on the streets out there, I highly doubt it, but Massachusetts Street is littered with bars so that's promising.
Anyone else going to the parades?
I'll be the one wearing green...Ha ha.
After attending the parade in KCMO year after year, I feel a bit of change is in order. So THIS year, I'm going to the Lawrence parade. I don't know if they allow you to drink on the streets out there, I highly doubt it, but Massachusetts Street is littered with bars so that's promising.
Anyone else going to the parades?
I'll be the one wearing green...Ha ha.
Originally Posted by Allie_Kat
I may go. If I do I think I will paint Mr Magnificent green and try to get girls to Kiss the Blarney Stone!
I may go. If I do I think I will paint Mr Magnificent green and try to get girls to Kiss the Blarney Stone! Originally Posted by Omahan
I went to Ireland couple years back and visited the Blarney Castle were the Blarney Stone is housed. It's under a wall at the top of the Castle, you need to lay on your back. Hanging over the edge you kiss this rock that maybe a million people have slobbered on and......well you get the picture. Not implying anything Omahan....kinda looks like some people have actually chewed on it...

Attached Images File Type: jpg The_Blarney_Stone.jpg (136.7 KB, 152 views)
I'd really like to wear a shirt with the Cross of St. Patrick or the Cross of St. George but I can't find anything like that around here. I know I'd really stand out from the crowd and get lots of questions about it.

Then I'd answer the questions. St. Patrick isn't technically a saint. He was English, not Irish. Palladius was the first to bring Christianity to Ireland, not Patrick. There were never snakes in Ireland. Ireland is an island and snakes can't cross open oceans or glaciers. He never used the shamrock to teach the trinity. Nor did he live to be 120 years old. Besides the idea of it being a little strange that we celebrate the day of his death by drinking green beer, nobody really knows when he died. It might be March 16th or 17th...but tell me what year.

That said, have a pint of two of Guinness and enjoy the day. Just try to not be bothered by my facts. (Guinness is brewed using fish bladders, btw.) Sláinte!
Yeah, but the green beer trumps the history lesson . . . especially after six or eight.

Kisses,

- Jackie
Green beer? Bleh. I'll drink the black stuff.

I just think holidays are more fun when you can celebrate what's really at the core of the holiday, not the mythology. For St. Patrick's Day BEER is the core of the holiday. What would it be like without beer? Bor-ing.
I just think holidays are more fun when you can celebrate what's really at the core of the holiday, not the mythology. Originally Posted by Longermonger

In that case we should all get together on Christmas and have a pagan orgy complete with animal sacrifice . . . as in the good old days.

I knew there was a reason I always liked the way you think Monger . . .

Kisses,

- Jackie
In that case we should all get together on Christmas and have a pagan orgy complete with animal sacrifice . . . as in the good old days.
Originally Posted by jackie@sintropolis
Well, of course! That and Chinese dinner. You mean people do other things on Christmas?
I'd really like to wear a shirt with the Cross of St. Patrick or the Cross of St. George but I can't find anything like that around here. I know I'd really stand out from the crowd and get lots of questions about it.

Then I'd answer the questions. St. Patrick isn't technically a saint. He was English, not Irish. Palladius was the first to bring Christianity to Ireland, not Patrick. There were never snakes in Ireland. Ireland is an island and snakes can't cross open oceans or glaciers. He never used the shamrock to teach the trinity. Nor did he live to be 120 years old. Besides the idea of it being a little strange that we celebrate the day of his death by drinking green beer, nobody really knows when he died. It might be March 16th or 17th...but tell me what year.

That said, have a pint of two of Guinness and enjoy the day. Just try to not be bothered by my facts. (Guinness is brewed using fish bladders, btw.) Sláinte! Originally Posted by Longermonger
Wow!!! Thanks Longer for showing us your awesome knowledge of Wikipedia! Do you also like to take candy away from little kids and tell them that there is no easter bunny...that it's not possible....blah, blah, blah. Do you stand in line at the mall and tell kids that Santa Claus isn't real?

St. Patrick's Day is a holy day of obligation for Catholics in Ireland and a day to celebrate with family and friends. In my family, we look forward to and celebrate St. Patrick's Day just like Christmas, Easter, Independence Day, etc. Later today I will gather with those close to me and enjoy each other's company. Its a chance for all of us to step away from our busy lives and be close to our friends and family.

And NO, we won't be drinking green beer.

Guess what I'm sayin is lighten up dude. Unless you just get off startin shit or you just want to show us all how smart you are. What did you ever do before Google?
I'm down with the orgy and pagan stuff Jackie, maybe not so much for the sacrifice...how about we substitute the sacrifice with the beer?
Why would anyone want to take a perfectly good beer and put green food coloring in it? Yeck.
I went to the Snake Saturday Parade one year and thought it was very entertaining.
A friend from Ireland use to brag how he and his mates would go piss on the blarney stone after hours and laugh about tourists kissing it.
I had heard that people pee on the Blarney Stone too. Ha. I'm sure as heck never kissing it.
A friend from Ireland use to brag how he and his mates would go piss on the blarney stone after hours and laugh about tourists kissing it. Originally Posted by BigMikeinKC
Was your friend ever a chef on a hidden camera show?
I had heard that people pee on the Blarney Stone too. Ha. I'm sure as heck never kissing it. Originally Posted by Allie_Kat
I heard it too. I kissed it. Didn't smell like piss. I think it's just an urban legend.