Anal Check # 1: Free Speech

Do you support the first amendment right to "free speech"? Sounds like an easy question but we've seen many people today want to deny free speech to those they disagree with. Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram have all blackballed various people for their words. Even on this site, you have to toe some ambiguous line to avoid cancellation. In the 1960s, liberals used to say "I disagree with what you say but will defend, with my life, your right to say it." What happened to those liberals?
"Rights" should also be tied to accountability, even free speech. Check out Orsen Welles' famous example, although I'm not sure he was held accountable, but likely would have been today. I doubt the founding fathers envisioned the global reach of "free speech" via internet we have today, so their wisdom may be dated. Courts can provide "interpretation", but a more modern amendment may be necessary to balance free speech vs liability for it's exercise.
It sounds like this came out of you being awarded some points recently.

You may go to the public square and speak freely, within some boundaries.

If you want to speak on a privately owned platform, you must agree to follow their terms of service. All the ones your mentioned are privately owned.
... All the ones your mentioned are privately owned. Originally Posted by VitaMan

If they edit content, they should have Section 230 protection completely removed.
Private business can limit speech as they please.
That is true but they should be open, fair minded, and consistent with their rules.
That is true but they should be open, fair minded, and consistent with their rules. Originally Posted by the_real_Barleycorn
Why? Whomever’s business it is can set whatever rules they want. There’s no requirement they be fair or open minded. That’s the beauty of the marketplace, you can choose to go to elsewhere that allows you to say what you want.

Does Fox or Newsmax allow anti-Trump advertising (I recall vaguely they refused to allow that at some point, could be wrong but I vaguely remember it)? Should they be forced to if they don’t allow it?
Oh, so their open mindedness, fairness and consistency should comply to "whose" rules: yours, theirs, .... can the "rules" change midstream....who dictates the rules. Careful what you wish for. Personally, think class action lawsuits for ramification of spread of disinformation (as much as I hate that genre of shysters) is the answer. Yell "fire" when there is no fire, then be accountable financially and criminally liable for those trampled. Yell "fire" with proof, no liability. Yell "fire" with no proof, then your absolved if true, suffer full liability if no proof and not true. Yell "fire" and clearly state that it is your opinion only and not proven, then that is your "constitutiinal" right, but must be clearly stated as opinion only, NOT FACT. That is where we have gone wrong as a society and let others shape perceptions...accepting opinion as fact without vetting against reality. Applies to both right and left.
Check with China to see what lack of free speech is. Found any tennis players lately ?
Why check there? ... Look at Trump, and also some of the doctors
who tryed to speak out against the mask and vax mandates.

There's your LACK of Free Speech. ... Here in your-own country.

### Salty
Private business can limit speech as they please. Originally Posted by NoirMan
Absolutely AND be held liable for the schtuff they promote. Thus, remove Section 230 protection from them and fair thee well. See ya in court.
Check with China to see what lack of free speech is. Found any tennis players lately ? Originally Posted by VitaMan
Will we ever see the American defectors again after their recent skating or skiing performances.
Absolutely AND be held liable for the schtuff they promote. Thus, remove Section 230 protection from them and fair thee well. See ya in court. Originally Posted by Why_Yes_I_Do
Nonsensical. Sec 230 provides immunity for the site for things people post. Limiting speech has no bearing on that. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sect...ion_and_limits

Read the case law summaries.

In the free market, you can go to a place that allows you to voice as many insane opinions as you like. Just because you can’t voice that opinion where you want is a you problem not a them problem.