Detroit - The Bulwark of Liberal Thought

After 50 years of mismanagement via liberal policies, it gets bailed out by the state. It has been" under resourced, abandoned by middle class whites, redlined by banks, and a victim of a changing world economy that crippled manufacturing."
No mention of crime, drug and alcohol abuse, not taking advantage of educational opportunities, massive government assistance programs, single parent homes, or that big pink elephant - personal responsibility.
With attitudes like that, failure is guaranteed. Fucking liberals aim to do that for the whole country - that is how they are destroying the country, the bastards.
Time for you to GO!

Hypocrite!
Must have been his home town ..
Time for you to GO!

Hypocrite! Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
How am I a hypocrite for pointing out the failure of liberals and their mismanagement of Detroit?
Lots of things resulted in Detroit's current condition....not the least of which was Republican/Conservative greed. It slays me that you fucking idiots want to pick out a city like Detroit and lay all the fault at the Democrats doorstep....but, you completely neglect to acknowledge the republican role in the economic meltdown that has occurred in the United States over the past 5 years. Remind me, dimwit....who was president in 2008, and for the preceding 8 years, when the US economy went into meltdown mode? Fuck you and your stupid post.
So, you are not playing the BUSH card. LoL
Past five years? You need to go back a lot further than that. Go back to when to when Chrysler needed a bailout. Yes, it was 1979 and Jimmy Carter was president. What happened next? Chrysler produced the K-car. Some of the worst ideas in automanufacturing history.
We need some pictures;
Before

After
So, you are not playing the BUSH card. LoL Originally Posted by IIFFOFRDB
I'll play the Bush card when playing it is appropriate. You'll play the "You're playing the Bush card" defense when you've got nothing to say to defend Bush. Simple boy.
Lots of things resulted in Detroit's current condition....not the least of which was Republican/Conservative greed. It slays me that you fucking idiots want to pick out a city like Detroit and lay all the fault at the Democrats doorstep....but, you completely neglect to acknowledge the republican role in the economic meltdown that has occurred in the United States over the past 5 years. Remind me, dimwit....who was president in 2008, and for the preceding 8 years, when the US economy went into meltdown mode? Fuck you and your stupid post. Originally Posted by timpage
Republican George Bush was president.

But then, Detroit has been in trouble since at least the 1970s - certainly for as long as I can remember. Even during the best of times, it barely kept its head above water.

Dubya was certainly not responsible for that.

The recession hit a lot of cities and states hard, but the cities that got hit the worst were the ones that were dominated by the Democrats for decades.

Public employee retirement and benefit packages are primary among what is crippling Detroit (and other cities). Those are not creations of George Bush.
Past five years? You need to go back a lot further than that. Go back to when to when Chrysler needed a bailout. Yes, it was 1979 and Jimmy Carter was president. What happened next? Chrysler produced the K-car. Some of the worst ideas in automanufacturing history.
We need some pictures;
Before

After
Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Sorry dimwit, I guess you didn't read my post. I was talking about the economic meltdown that started in 2008 in the United States. Remember?
Republican George Bush was president.

But then, Detroit has been in trouble since at least the 1970s - certainly for as long as I can remember. Even during the best of times, it barely kept its head above water.

Dubya was certainly not responsible for that.

The recession hit a lot of cities and states hard, but the cities that got hit the worst were the ones that were dominated by the Democrats for decades.

Public employee retirement and benefit packages are primary among what is crippling Detroit (and other cities). Those are not creations of George Bush. Originally Posted by ExNYer
Well, during the best of times, Detroit was a thriving center of the manufacturing universe metropolis. When it became cheaper for management to ship jobs out to China, Japan and the rest of the eastern countries, not so much. Fuck all the Americans that relied on those jobs, let's just make sure ownership maximizes profits.
Well, during the best of times, Detroit was a thriving center of the manufacturing universe metropolis. When it became cheaper for management to ship jobs out to China, Japan and the rest of the eastern countries, not so much. Fuck all the Americans that relied on those jobs, let's just make sure ownership maximizes profits. Originally Posted by timpage
Now you're shifting blame to the car companies?.

There are a lot of cities from the northeast to mid-west that lost their manufacturing bases (Cleveland, Pittsburgh, etc.). They don't call it the Rust Belt for nothing. And yet those other big cities did not go bankrupt. They found ways to meet their debts. Or, to be more precise, they did not hang a public pensions millstone around their own necks.

Per this article, Detroit has the 9th highest taxes among all big cities in the US.

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...es_detroi.html

So getting revenue wasn't the problem. It was SPENDING.

The "blame the car companies" strategy is a bunch of horseshit. The car companies didn't disappear overnight. They slowly pulled out of Michigan over the course of decades. And they were never fully located in Detroit to being with. They were headquartered there, but much (most?) of the manufacturing was located outside of Detroit and could not be taxed by the city anyway.

Detroit had plenty of warning that it had to reduce the size of its government workforce. That was the one thing they refused to do. Now the debts are unbearable.
Now your shifting blame to the car companies?.

There are a lot of cities from the northeast to mid-west that lost their manufacturing bases (Cleveland, Pittsburgh, etc.). They don't call it the Rust Belt for nothing. And yet those other big cities did not go bankrupt. They found ways to meet their debts. Or, to be more precise, they did not hang a public pensions millstone around their own necks.

Per this article, Detroit has the 9th highest taxes among all big cities in the US.

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...es_detroi.html

So getting revenue wasn't the problem. It was SPENDING. Originally Posted by ExNYer
A decline in industrial output was the reason Detroit has failed. Why that happened might fill a book. The point is that Detroit's problems are no more attributable to the Democrats than Mississippi's dismal economic plight is attributable to the Republicans. And, a post that tries to imply otherwise, like the OP here, is misleading and simplistic.
A decline in industrial output was the reason Detroit has failed. Why that happened might fill a book. The point is that Detroit's problems are no more attributable to the Democrats than Mississippi's dismal economic plight is attributable to the Republicans. And, a post that tries to imply otherwise, like the OP here, is misleading and simplistic. Originally Posted by timpage
you should be glad you live where the Grand Old Party rules
It's fucking Nirvana!