Jerry and Johnny

Why, Jerry? WHY???

What purpose can it possibly serve to come out now and proclaim to media you "almost" turned in the Cowboy's first round draft selection with Manziel's name on it? Was it a slow day for you out in Oxnard? Did you feel the need to stir up some cheap headlines?

The fact is you didn't (draft him) and you should simply move on. Even though you were the architect of the worst defense in the NFL last year and the Cowboys desperately needed a Blue Chipper on that D-line, Zach Martin (O-lineman) was clearly the smart if not correct pick at that spot. Period.

Don't get me wrong, I wish JM all the luck in the world and I hope he enjoys a lengthy and profitable career as a pro.....but considering his limitations, I have my doubts he'll last long. Martin is a total beast and has the potential to be a cornerstone on that line for the next 10-12 years.

On the flipside, if Manziel hangs around that long (let alone brings a championship or two to Cleveland), Jerry will end up playing the "what if" card to the very end (just like he did with Randy Moss). But, won't the Texans be just as big a culprit for such a sin? Or Jacksonville? Or twenty-something other teams who passed on him? If the draft was such a clear-cut choice every single time then why did Tom Brady last until the 6th round?
you said it right.. needed a cheap headline.

I think Jerry didn't draft Mr. Football, because internally he wanted to affirm that he made the right choice, signing Romo to the big contract.. it also helped avoid the inevitable barrage of questions during camp and beyond.. about which guy would be your man at quarterback.
Maybe Jerry's been hanging around too many glory holes.
Its that and dementia ...