NOLA trip, questions???

This would make my first trip to your city (as a Provider that is)!!! My number one question-Where do I find the Death by Gumbo?
(Seen it on a cooking show, and I have been craving it for a month!!)
What is there to do during my free time (I know it's New Orleans, but what with so many options), a bar or somewhere where I can get a drink, dance and still be in safe area?? What areas should I avoid?? Any suggestions from ladies or gents would be greatly appreciated.. I'm needing a change of scenery...

Until Then..
Alyssa
dreamrockinreality.com
alyssa@dreamrockinreality.com
  • Emmie
  • 08-18-2014, 03:58 PM
Hope you find what you're looking for honey!
Hope you find what you're looking for honey! Originally Posted by Emmie
Thank you
The gumbo ya ya at Mr. B's is excellent. Also, weird as it seems, Louisiana Pizza Kitchen has very good gumbo. Both are in the Quarter. Mr B's is upscale. LPK is more moderately priced.
The gumbo ya ya at Mr. B's is excellent. Also, weird as it seems, Louisiana Pizza Kitchen has very good gumbo. Both are in the Quarter. Mr B's is upscale. LPK is more moderately priced. Originally Posted by stavinChain
They have the DEATH BY GUMBO the one with the quail in it??
"Death by Gumbo" is a new one to me.

What are its ingredients? Any success with finding out where to get it?

essayman
If I had the slightest idea of "how and what" I'd had made it by now for sure...!!! I actually had a friend suggest it to me, and told me the name of the resturant awhile back.. I forgot. ugh.. but I remembered the name of the gumbo!!

Here is a pic
OK well I don't know about the "Death by Gumbo." What I do know is "The Gumbo Shop" (note the name) is consistently voted as best gumbo in NOLA--by LOCALS. I live here--so I hate the Qtr. b/c it's hard to get to. I'm not staying in a hotel where I can walk through it, I have to drive. But still: twice a year it's worth it to try to find a frickin' parking space smack-dab in the middle of the damn Fr. Qtr. to have the gumbo @ The Gumbo Shop. Slow as molasses & pricey too. Despite all of that: tremendous gumbo. Really the best I've had. And there's plenty of GOOD gumbo here. But that's the best.

I've heard good things about Upperline which is a newer restaurant, again, interestingly enough, on Upperline (I think) in Uptown. I'd try theirs. Believe it or not NOLA Hamburger & Seafood also does a perfectly good bowl when you're Jones-ing for it.
Chef Ron's Gumbo Stop on Causeway just South of I-10 is really good. Neighborhood type restaurant, reasonable prices.

Went there for the first time a few weeks ago with a visiting friend who saw the recco (4.5/ 5 Stars, 197 reviews) on YELP.

I still wanna know about "Death by Gumbo," though . . .

essayman
http://www.revolutionnola.com/restau...tion_menu.html

Death by Gumbo

I'm good with any Chicken and Andouille Gumbo, so I'm not a good judge.
  • inviz
  • 08-18-2014, 11:15 PM
I'm starving after looking at those links!!!! Thats the resturant I was told to go to, the revolution. . I think I'll probably try all of those resturants.. thanks for the links and information.. I am pretty sure I'm going to binge out on gumbo now for sure!!! There are not any GOOD gumbo places here in Monroe and the places that do - well its bland.. more than just the food.. lmao - sorry no offense to anyone I am personally extremely bored in west monroe- :/

I dont like having to drive through alot of traffic myself. I'd rather be somewhere i can just park myself. But if the food is good enough I'd go try it. Jonse-ing for gumbo, right now I'd probably try it all.. I hope I can stick to my diet there, haha I doubt it.. lol..
Wow! I love quail, and love oysters... Death by Gumbo is officially on my to-do list for September
I'll take death by alyssa anyday!!
I can think of a million and one things I CAN SERVE you, but I don't serve death..
lol
I would prefer you'd still be breathing and smiling when you leave..