apartment advice?

a buddy of mine is in search of finding a new place to live in the Dallas/Garland area. i thought itd be worth a shot to post here, in hopes of receiving some recommendations on specific apartment complexes that might express a little more leniency in their approval process. here's the deal with my buddy:
ive known the guy for about 15 years now. decent guy, hard working, no kids, etc.. a long time ago, however, (i believe it was 4 or 5 years back?) he made a stupid mistake, and now has a felony on his record that is constantly haunting him, especially now that he is looking for new place to live..
other than the one offense, hes never in his life been arrested. i think he may have gotten a couple speeding tickets,etc, but thats it. But every apartment office that he inquires at hears the word "felony", without him even being able to explain the situation/details of the offense, and they instantly deny him right off the bat. (even a few "for rent by owner" places that he'd called about did this also).. i figured that since alot of ladies here have private incalls, that maybe yall might have some suggestions on some places/apts that may not be as strict with their approval process? or somewhere/someone who might be willing to work with him on his situation maybe? as mentioned before, the only thing he has on his record is the one offense, and it was a non-violent crime. i definitely can vouch for the dude, ive known him almost all my life.
if u know of any specific places or landlords, please let me know. u can pm me if youd rather do that than post, either is fine. thanks
Sorry to hear about your friend.

I have a couple of suggestions and one more will be sent in PM.

1) A lawyer can help get the ball rolling and be sure to reach out to the probation office. Please have the record expunged if it qualifies. If it does, it's a 1 time deal. The record will be "cleaned" but it will always show an arrest. He will have a chance thereafter to explain in any future rental/lease applications.

2) Check this link: http://www.secondchanceapartment.com/cities/

3) Check your PM box for the last suggestion.

Good luck!