"For God's Sake, Please Stop the Aid!"

Brilliant interview in Der Spiegel decrying the effect of foreign aid in Africa.

The Kenyan economics expert James Shikwati, 35, says that aid to Africa does more harm than good. The avid proponent of globalization spoke with SPIEGEL about the disastrous effects of Western development policy in Africa, corrupt rulers, and the tendency to overstate the AIDS problem.

From the interview:

[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Huge bureaucracies are financed (with the aid money), corruption and complacency are promoted, Africans are taught to be beggars and not to be independent. In addition, development aid weakens the local markets everywhere and dampens the spirit of entrepreneurship that we so desperately need. As absurd as it may sound: Development aid is one of the reasons for Africa's problems. If the West were to cancel these payments, normal Africans wouldn't even notice. Only the functionaries would be hard hit. Which is why they maintain that the world would stop turning without this development aid.[/COLOR]

For the entire interview, click here:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-363663.html
  • WTF
  • 12-31-2012, 07:41 PM
We agree...been saying that for a long time.

Which will probably make you change you fence sitting mind!
I'm with it!
So government handouts create a culture of dependency? Huh? Who knew?
Don't forget Haiti the same problem there. I sent 100 sharp machetes.
I have always said stop the flow2 of our tax dollars to all of these shit-hole nations and not just the ones in Africa.
Every dollar we give is borrowed money.
Let them borrow their own damn money.
Lump Pakistan along with that as well.
So government handouts create a culture of dependency? Huh? Who knew? Originally Posted by Ducbutter
Imagine that. Guess it does not apply to the USA.
The Feds have no business giving money to a city for police or fire, that is a citys duty. The Feds send money to the citys to curb drunken drivers and to enforce seatbelt laws.
Brilliant interview in Der Spiegel decrying the effect of foreign aid in Africa.

The Kenyan economics expert James Shikwati, 35, says that aid to Africa does more harm than good. The avid proponent of globalization spoke with SPIEGEL about the disastrous effects of Western development policy in Africa, corrupt rulers, and the tendency to overstate the AIDS problem.

From the interview:

[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Huge bureaucracies are financed (with the aid money), corruption and complacency are promoted, Africans are taught to be beggars and not to be independent. In addition, development aid weakens the local markets everywhere and dampens the spirit of entrepreneurship that we so desperately need. As absurd as it may sound: Development aid is one of the reasons for Africa's problems. If the West were to cancel these payments, normal Africans wouldn't even notice. Only the functionaries would be hard hit. Which is why they maintain that the world would stop turning without this development aid.[/COLOR]

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-363663.html Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy

Much better job of citing original work. Good job.
Glad I could live up to your standards, UB. I feel so much better.
Glad I could live up to your standards, UB. I feel so much better. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
Glad I could live up to your standards, UB. I feel so much better. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
He really shoud go back to the floating turd avatar. It suited him.

From the interview:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-363663.html Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
Brilliant? True?

Maybe.

From the same paper in a different issue.

Germany’s respected news weekly Der Spiegel mistakenly published an obituary Sunday for former U.S. President George H.W. Bush, hours after a family spokesman said the 88-year-old was recovering from illness.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2012/1...#ixzz2GmrI75hU

You remember this cog. You posted it.

Well vetted cog, well vetted.
I didn't post the link about the magazine making the mistake about GHW Bush's death, Münchausenman. Seems like you could do some vetting yourself.

Now, is the interview fake? If so, I'd like to know.