Google Voice

Is Google Voice a good alternative to a hobby phone? You pick a phone number that is then assigned to your account, type in the number you want to call and it calls you first then completes the call. The caller sees the google voice # and not yours.

This may have been asked before, but I couldn't get the search function to search for google and voice together.
Yes. It works.
Is Google Voice a good alternative to a hobby phone? You pick a phone number that is then assigned to your account, type in the number you want to call and it calls you first then completes the call. The caller sees the google voice # and not yours.

This may have been asked before, but I couldn't get the search function to search for google and voice together. Originally Posted by Buddy248
LE will be able to track you down through your ISP
cricket or boost is best go to non cricket store to buy it
If you are worried about LE, then Google Voice is not a particularly safe alternative. I'm sure Google would have no issue at all complying with an order to release your personal information, including voice mails, numbers called, and incoming numbers. A prepaid cell phone activated with non-traceable funds is much more secure.

HOWEVER, very few of us probably need to worry about that. For many guys, they would get in a lot more trouble if their wife found a second cell phone (anyone watch Breaking Bad?). Or they just don't want to give their real cell number to a relative stranger. Or they want a more customizable way to screen and filter incoming calls.

For these situations, Google Voice works great. You can keep your phone and just get a new number that routs calls how you want it. You can make special voice mail messages for individuals in your contact list. You can make a separate voicemail message for people who are NOT in your contact list. You can forward certain people right to voicemail, or even block specific numbers (they get a message saying the number isn't in service).

It is super convenient. You even control all of it using a Web interface. No more "press 1 to review your messages, press 2 to record a new greeting, press 3 to assign a pre-recorded greeting" crap.
I agree with Q on all of the above. Truth is NONE of them are truly secure. If LE wants you they'll find you. Period. The reality is though why would they work that hard? Especially for a hobbiest? An agency, maybe. Tied to organized crime, drug dealers or such maybe. But just a working stiff paying for trim on the side? Too much trouble for too little return for LE. But it's great for the married hobbiest.
  • Modda
  • 09-09-2010, 06:30 PM
You can try spoof card, but if the provider wants to call you then it won't work, some providers doesn't give their numbers...instead they will ask our numbers..so in this case spoof doesn't work.
I agree with Sens55. LE isn't gonna go to that kind of trouble to bust a john unless he is affiliated or into dealing or moving a lot of drugs.