Any veterinarians or anyone experienced with lizards?

Last night my 3 year old accidentally stepped on his blue jeweled lacerta. I wasn't standing right there so I'm not sure if anything broke or popped, but the lizard was able to run off (I guess that is a good sign?) but when I picked him up from under the table, it was clear he was hurt.

I actually thought he was dead. His eyes were closed and he was totally limp. So I took a wash cloth and soaked it in warm water and wrapped him in it and put him under his heating light. After about 30 minutes he began to look more alive again and was moving around a bit.

After a few hours of watching him, I put him in his cage and went to bed. Then this morning when I woke up, he was just sitting in his tank with his mouth agape, which is odd because he never does this.

It's hard to tell if he is in pain because he doesn't make any noises and he is not aggressive at all, so he still has his awesomely sweet temperament.

I looked up what to do online, but couldn't really find anything.

What should I do? I hate to sound heartless, but I really don't want to have to spend a few hundred bucks on an x-ray. I've ran my fingers up and down his bones and I can't "feel" anything broken and his body is not stuck in an abnormal position.

I'm just so torn by what to do

This is a stock picture, but this is the same size my lizard is.

blue.jpg
Not a vet, but I have raised assorted reptiles, wee woofs, and other critters for decades. (It really IS a frigging zoo at the Irish Chihuahua Refuge.) Alas, there really isn't much more you can do that you haven't already, darling lass.

Does he have a hot rock in his cage? The diminutive dino can move on and off a rock as his body temp dictates, plus it's comforting. The gaping mouth could be a sign of pain, stress, or overheating, which can happen easily under a lamp if there's no shade for him to crawl under.

Leave him be and see. Yes, would cost a lot to take him to a clinic, and the type of injury he most likely sustained probably couldn't be set. The vet might give you something for his pain, but you might find
a suitable analgesic in a store with a decent section of cold-blood pet supplies. Depending on if anything serious was actually ruptured, may take anywhere from 48 hours to 2 weeks before he starts to return to normal, and while he may not be hungry for the next day or so, if he stops eating for an extended period...

Briarcrest Veterinary Clinic in Houston used to be well-versed in reptile care.
http://www.briarcrestvet.com/

As far as retailers go, S
&S Exotic Animals in Houston or The Ultimate Reptile Shop in Hockley might be helpful if you gave them a call.
http://www.sandsexoticanimals.com/
http://www.ultimatereptiles.com/

Irish luck to the little lizard.
The only reptile I have experience is my one-eyed trouser snake. His eye is usually closed, too.
Call Dr. Pol.
Wait and hope young lady
i think bones is correct. there's really nothing to do. if he's made it this long, he'll likely survive.

my lizard has been stepped on a few times and everything turned out ok

ijs
Last night my 3 year old accidentally stepped on his blue jeweled lacerta. I wasn't standing right there so I'm not sure if anything broke or popped, but the lizard was able to run off (I guess that is a good sign?) but when I picked him up from under the table, it was clear he was hurt.

I actually thought he was dead. His eyes were closed and he was totally limp. So I took a wash cloth and soaked it in warm water and wrapped him in it and put him under his heating light. After about 30 minutes he began to look more alive again and was moving around a bit.

After a few hours of watching him, I put him in his cage and went to bed. Then this morning when I woke up, he was just sitting in his tank with his mouth agape, which is odd because he never does this.

It's hard to tell if he is in pain because he doesn't make any noises and he is not aggressive at all, so he still has his awesomely sweet temperament.

I looked up what to do online, but couldn't really find anything.

What should I do? I hate to sound heartless, but I really don't want to have to spend a few hundred bucks on an x-ray. I've ran my fingers up and down his bones and I can't "feel" anything broken and his body is not stuck in an abnormal position.

I'm just so torn by what to do

This is a stock picture, but this is the same size my lizard is.

Attachment 743257 Originally Posted by Brooke Wilde
He's in pain..take him to the vet...he would do the same for you if he could. You never know if re-incarnstion is real...go ahead beat those reincarnation odds and watch good universal Karma flow your way
Give him a cricket and see if he eats it.
Aww poor little guy, hope he's okay Brooke.

~
Thanks for the advice everyone. I went out yesterday and purchased a heating pad from walgreens, then wrapped him up in a towel and left him there for a few hours, it seems to have helped a lot.

I also let him rest there overnight and this morning he seems to be back to normal :-). His mouth is no longer agape, his eyes are wide open and he looks ready to explore the world again.

It's amazing because he looked dead Tuesday night. I thought for sure I was going to be burying the little guy on Wednesday.
Nurse Brooke to the rescue. Good job.
she's quite the Lizard Whisperer.
Briarcrest vet works excellent with reptiles. He saved 2 of my bearded dragons. He will give you everything you need know for your lizard.
"bearded dragon" .... heh... i like that..... From this point forward, that might be what I call my junk.

(but I know you meant the lizard)
Nurse Brooke to the rescue. Good job. Originally Posted by TryWeakly

Now you know where to go for nursing if your ... uhhh ...

... gets stepped on! ... .or run over by the garbage truck.