Unsolicited Texts

Has anyone gotten any advertising texts lately? I got one recently from a (585) 201 number, and I have no idea who she was or how she got my number. I'm wondering if a provider has been giving numbers out or what??? Anyone else?
  • GP
  • 02-24-2010, 10:15 AM
call up and ask. Or give us the full number, maybe we would recognize it.
I got this email from my brother: I did mine through the website its easy.

REMEMBER: Cell Phone Numbers Go Public this month.
REMINDER..... all cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls.

.... YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone:
888-382-1222.
It is the National DO NOT CALL list It will only take a minute of your time.. It blocks your number for five (5) years. You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked. You cannot call from a different phone number.

HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON .. It takes about 20 seconds.

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx
Go to www.ftc.gov and you can regester up to 3 numbers cells included. ED
My link takes you right to the donotcall page. edr's you just have to click on the link donotcall when you get to the websites page to get to the same page.
My link takes you right to the donotcall page. edr's you just have to click on the link donotcall when you get to the websites page to get to the same page. Originally Posted by jymie
http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

This is an internet hoax that has been around since 2006.
GP - I was going to put the number in my original post, but I deleted it because my gf sometimes uses my phone when we're together and I didn't want her to ask questions. I remember it was a 585 201 number.
  • GP
  • 02-26-2010, 09:29 AM
I don't think we can help you then. sorry
I have registered both my land line and cell phone and have not recieved any calls in over 6 months and I used to get these calls on both usally shows up on caller Id as 888 or 800 followed by # or 800 services and trust they leave messages and you minuits get used. ED
It was offering .5 bbbj too, which is nothing a provider from this page would do far as I know. I found it odd that someone mysteriously got my number to send this to. Next time I'll be sure write down the number or ask who it is.
This is not true. Cell phone numbers are not going public. Urban legend

I got this email from my brother: I did mine through the website its easy.

REMEMBER: Cell Phone Numbers Go Public this month.
REMINDER..... all cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls.

.... YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone:
888-382-1222.It is the National DO NOT CALL list It will only take a minute of your time.. It blocks your number for five (5) years. You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked. You cannot call from a different phone number.

HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON .. It takes about 20 seconds.

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx Originally Posted by jymie