Imagine the lawsuit if it happened here

Well, a European hotelier decided to improve its planned 20-story hotel by making it 47 stories instead. So far, so good.

Then architectural plans were drawn up and approved and construction continued.

It wasn't until they topped out at 47 stories that someone finally noticed that the elevators still ended at the 20 story. Yes you read that right:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...n-madness.html

The hotel is the twin tower white elephant in the photo:

Needless to say, construction has been "stalled" with the top 8 stories still incomplete. Heh.
Well, a European hotelier decided to improve its planned 20-story hotel by making it 47 stories instead. So far, so good.

Then architectural plans were drawn up and approved and construction continued.

It wasn't until they topped out at 47 stories that someone finally noticed that the elevators still ended at the 20 story. Yes you read that right:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...n-madness.html

The hotel is the twin tower white elephant in the photo:

Needless to say, construction has been "stalled" with the top 8 stories still incomplete. Heh. Originally Posted by ExNYer
No problemo!

No problemo!

Originally Posted by LexusLover
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Just don't look down.
  • Old-T
  • 08-09-2013, 02:06 PM
When I was a grad student the university build a 30 or so story library. Years later there were about 4 floors that could not be used because the air inlets were facing--and too close--to the power plant exhaust stacks--and the air on those floors was toxic.
  • CJ7
  • 08-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Just don't look down. Originally Posted by ExNYer

where there's a Wall, there's a way

No guarantee of education. I worked in a shipyard several years ago. Everyone of us with time at sea walked down some stairs and declared them upside down. The engineer was called in and he had to take several measurements before he had to admit the same thing. Might also explain why the center support was five feet above a landing on the main deck and had to be built around....for several ten of thousands of dollars.
When I was a grad student the university build a 30 or so story library. Years later there were about 4 floors that could not be used because the air inlets were facing--and too close--to the power plant exhaust stacks--and the air on those floors was toxic. Originally Posted by Old-T
Was that at Texas A & M?
  • Old-T
  • 08-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Was that at Texas A & M? Originally Posted by Jewish Lawyer
Nope
  • CJ7
  • 08-09-2013, 06:14 PM
http://engineering.tamu.edu/about/facts

public colleges, overall, 8th in the country
http://engineering.tamu.edu/about/facts

public colleges, overall, 8th in the country Originally Posted by CJ7
it is obvious you did not get a degree in engineering

how about animal husbandry?
No guarantee of education. I worked in a shipyard several years ago. Everyone of us with time at sea walked down some stairs and declared them upside down. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Obviously none of those "ole sea dogs" had been in a ship that flipped. Can't believe the engineer caved.
When I was a grad student the university build a 30 or so story library. Years later there were about 4 floors that could not be used because the air inlets were facing--and too close--to the power plant exhaust stacks--and the air on those floors was toxic. Originally Posted by Old-T
This doesn't make sense. What school was this and where is the link to the story?
If the other floors were usable, why not close the vents on the smokestack side, run an auxiliary vent down the opposite side below the toxic air intake zone that the other floors were presumably using, and vent in fresh air?
I have never heard of a 30 stories library. Where was this?
  • Old-T
  • 08-10-2013, 09:54 AM
This doesn't make sense. What school was this and where is the link to the story?
If the other floors were usable, why not close the vents on the smokestack side, run an auxiliary vent down the opposite side below the toxic air intake zone that the other floors were presumably using, and vent in fresh air? Originally Posted by Jewish Lawyer
It was Univ of Mass in the 70s. Not everything has a "link to a story". I was a part time grad student and spent many hrs in the library and floors in the mid-20s were blocked off, both stairwells and elevators. It was pretty big news in MA at the time, lots of lawsuits, counter suits, "media investigative exclusives", etc.

Why they didn't reroute the airflow? I have no idea. I was quite busy enough as a grad student and didn't care to prod into it. But I suspect the architecting did not allow it, given the other architectural issues it had. Large slabs of the exterior concrete that fell off, electrical wiring issues that caused some floors to black-out for a few days at a time. It spent years as the butt of jokes in MA.

After I left I saw some things to indicate that the builder +/or others paid up a big piece of change in the lawsuit settlement.
It was Univ of Mass in the 70s. Not everything has a "link to a story". I was a part time grad student and spent many hrs in the library and floors in the mid-20s were blocked off, both stairwells and elevators. It was pretty big news in MA at the time, lots of lawsuits, counter suits, "media investigative exclusives", etc.

Why they didn't reroute the airflow? I have no idea. I was quite busy enough as a grad student and didn't care to prod into it. But I suspect the architecting did not allow it, given the other architectural issues it had. Large slabs of the exterior concrete that fell off, electrical wiring issues that caused some floors to black-out for a few days at a time. It spent years as the butt of jokes in MA.

After I left I saw some things to indicate that the builder +/or others paid up a big piece of change in the lawsuit settlement. Originally Posted by Old-T
OK - thanks for the info, I could see it happening in that situation - must have been an Aggie engineer.