More fun with Covid

I'm starting to think we were duped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=watch?v=eFx-d0SvOVg

For Tiny's sake let's hope this turns out not to be the trend.
the link is broken, post it again. or edit it, you have some time left to change edits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=watch?v=eFx-d0SvOVg

For Tiny's sake let's hope this turns out not to be the trend. Originally Posted by Ducbutter
Tiny was completely duped. He might be on booster#6 and wearing a mask.
Tiny was completely duped. He might be on booster#6 and wearing a mask. Originally Posted by bambino
.Damn, I'm only awaiting booster #5. But I did get a flu shot based on mRNA.
Sorry about the link. I missed the opportunity to edit.
This isn't pretty but I know it'll work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFx-d0SvOVg

I'm not sure why this won't post properly for me but I'm sure it's more than likely my fault.
  • Tiny
  • 05-30-2023, 06:58 PM
Damnit Ducbutter, please stop creating multiple threads. Are you really Oeb? I don't recall any posts under your handle before Oeb left. PLEASE. This belongs in Barleycorn's "Killing Criminals for Sport" thread, where we're already discussing Simpson's Paradox as it relates to COVID.

That anyway is what Geert Molenberghs, Professor of Biostatistics, believes explains this. See

https://www.icpcovid.com/en/news/7-m...ing-successive

As you may recall, in some populations, the overall death rates from COVID, the disease, are higher for the vaccinated. But when you segment by age, deaths rates for COVID are lower for the vaccinated in every age group. This is because a higher % of older people in those populations got vaccinated, but older people also had orders of magnitude greater probabilities of dying form COVID than younger people. Simpson's Paradox in action.

Mohlenberg believes perhaps we should be segmenting by infection history. I believe he's on to something. Everybody's been vaccinated and/or infected, most multiple times. If you got infected with COVID, perhaps even asymptomatic COVID, in the last few months, you may very well be better protected than I am. I got the last of my 5 shots in October.

But a more likely explanation is that the Cleveland Clinic researchers are failing to segregate by "level of hypochondria." For example, if you get infected with a mild case of COVID, odds are you'll never get tested. I on the other hand, have about 50 COVID test kits in my closet, along with many masks, face shields, goggles, antiviral cleansers, and respirators, and a couple of air tanks and hazmat suits. The first thing I'm going to do when I get the sniffles is take a COVID test. So therefore I am more likely to test positive for COVID than you are, even though you may be more likely to get COVID.

Seriously, this doesn't change my mind. As discussed in the link above, the evidence is strong that the bivalent boosters did offer good protection from severe disease, hospitalization, mechanical ventilation and death, INCLUDING protection for hospitalizations and deaths caused by the latest XBB variants.

And what does it matter now? We're arguing about history. Again, we've all been infected and/or vaccinated, so have some protection from the disease. It may not be long before COVID-19's not any bigger problem than the flu.

The link above, by the way, discusses a couple of other additional studies that claim booster vaccinations may have lead to more infections instead of less during the Omicron wave. And on the flip side, here's another good link that debunks claims by the Hill, Jimmy Dore, et al, and is easier to read than the icpcovid piece.

https://annielab.org/2023/02/02/anal...to-infections/

Finally, here's the original Cleveland Clinic paper,

https://academic.oup.com/ofid/advanc...99/ofad209.pdf
  • Tiny
  • 05-30-2023, 07:04 PM
Tiny was completely duped. He might be on booster#6 and wearing a mask. Originally Posted by bambino
Bambino. I recently said your handle on economic policy is much better than that of the leader of the free world. And this is how you repay me.

I'm on booster #3 and wearing a good quality KN95 mask and aviator goggles. As well as insisting that my dates wear KN95 masks too, except when they're blowing me. And I've never gotten COVID!!!
Bambino. I recently said your handle on economic policy is much better than that of the leader of the free world. And this is how you repay me.

I'm on booster #3 and wearing a good quality KN95 mask and aviator goggles. As well as insisting that my dates wear KN95 masks too, except when they're blowing me. And I've never gotten COVID!!! Originally Posted by Tiny
Why are you wearing a Mask and Goggles? Covid-19 nor is any other Virus airborne.
I'm not sure why this won't post properly for me Originally Posted by Ducbutter
[YOUTUBEHD]watch?v=eFx-d0SvOVg[YOUTUBEHD] Originally Posted by Ducbutter
You inserted too much Only copy and paste after the =

[YOUTUBEHD]eFx-d0SvOVg[YOUTUBEHD]
... I on the other hand, have about 50 COVID test kits in my closet, along with many masks, face shields, goggles, antiviral cleansers, and respirators, and a couple of air tanks and hazmat suits. The first thing I'm going to do when I get the sniffles is take a COVID test. So therefore I am more likely to test positive for COVID than you are, even though you may be more likely to get COVID.... Originally Posted by Tiny
Seeing whereas neither of us are Doctors IRL or even on the internets: 2 guys walk in to a clinic. Both are given a DNA test to see if'n they gots the Wu-Flu. Neither have symptoms. One tests positive, the other does not. What's the prescription for each?

Iterate through the permutations of w/artificial gene therapy coursing though their organs or not and include both with symptoms. What changes in the prescription?
You inserted too much Only copy and paste after the =

[YOUTUBEHD]eFx-d0SvOVg[YOUTUBEHD] Originally Posted by LayingPipe
Thanks LP!
  • Tiny
  • 05-31-2023, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Ducbutter
So 1,129,838 people in the USA died as a result of COVID. The population of the USA in 2021 was 332 million. That's 0.34% of the population. A large percentage of the population got vaccinated before they got the disease and there are some people like me who never got disease. But the infection fatality rate (IFR) for people who were unvaccinated and previously uninfected was 0.15%. I'll call bull shit on that.

Back in the first part of 2021, before most people were vaccinated, you could estimate the % of Americans who had been infected from COVID from large scale antibody tests. With that and the number of deaths you could estimate an IFR, and it was around 0.5% to 0.8%.

Ioannidis who Dore is quoting has always been an outlier. Early in the epidemic he was calculating IFR's around 0.05% to 0.10% based on bogus methods he used to look at the disease in a couple of California counties. People used his research to justify the claim that only 40,000 or 50,000 Americans would die of COVID, that it would be no worse that the flu. Well, he turned out to be badly wrong.

Dore seems to have suffered severe memory loss. Hospitals were overrun all over America during the COVID waves. Those in my community couldn't handle the case load. We had a mobile morgue, to handle the excess bodies. I guess that must have been faked, along with the deaths and the number of hospital beds occupied by COVID patients. Yeah, Bill Gates and the rest of them really pulled one over on us.

As to Dore's spin, I'm not a believer in lockdowns. But voluntary social distancing and use of good quality masks could make a big difference and neither was a nuisance, to me at least. The woman at my gym who had an immune system disorder and some of the elderly people who I came into contact with appreciated that anyway. Yeah, if you're 40 years old, you were very unlikely to die of COVID in 2020. But if you gave it to someone in his 80's, the chance he'd die of it might have been, say, 10%.
So 1,129,838 people in the USA died as a result of COVID. The population of the USA in 2021 was 332 million. That's 0.34% of the population. A large percentage of the population got vaccinated before they got the disease and there are some people like me who never got disease. But the infection fatality rate (IFR) for people who were unvaccinated and previously uninfected was 0.15%. I'll call bull shit on that.

Back in the first part of 2021, before most people were vaccinated, you could estimate the % of Americans who had been infected from COVID from large scale antibody tests. With that and the number of deaths you could estimate an IFR, and it was around 0.5% to 0.8%.

Ioannidis who Dore is quoting has always been an outlier. Early in the epidemic he was calculating IFR's around 0.05% to 0.10% based on bogus methods he used to look at the disease in a couple of California counties. People used his research to justify the claim that only 40,000 or 50,000 Americans would die of COVID, that it would be no worse that the flu. Well, he turned out to be badly wrong.

Dore seems to have suffered severe memory loss. Hospitals were overrun all over America during the COVID waves. Those in my community couldn't handle the case load. We had a mobile morgue, to handle the excess bodies. I guess that must have been faked, along with the deaths and the number of hospital beds occupied by COVID patients. Yeah, Bill Gates and the rest of them really pulled one over on us.

As to Dore's spin, I'm not a believer in lockdowns. But voluntary social distancing and use of good quality masks could make a big difference and neither was a nuisance, to me at least. The woman at my gym who had an immune system disorder and some of the elderly people who I came into contact with appreciated that anyway. Yeah, if you're 40 years old, you were very unlikely to die of COVID in 2020. But if you gave it to someone in his 80's, the chance he'd die of it might have been, say, 10%. Originally Posted by Tiny
No, that many people did not die of Covid. Think about what you posted. It's been said from the start that Covid-19 is in the family of Corona viruses. Corona Viruses are responsible for the "Common Cold". One Million people do not die from the common cold a million people might die with the common cold but not from it. Those that died from Covid-19 actually developed secondary infections such as Pneumonia.