Upper gum piercing?

I've recently run across something that leaves me scratching my head, and I don't know who else to ask, so I thought I'd try here.

My future ex-wives are currently concentrated in the Black Rifle coffee shop I visit each morning and a bank I go to several times a week. (All of them are blissfully unaware of the fate that one day awaits them.)

I noticed a metallic glint the other day when one of the tellers flashed a smile at me. I asked her to repeat the smile and saw that she had something that looked like one of those horseshoe-shaped nose rings that some girls have in their noses that make me wish I had a spare nine-volt battery on me. But this one is in her upper gum, directly over her incisors, generally hidden by her lip until she smiles.

My understanding is that girls with tongue piercings are making a statement about their oral abilities, or at least their willingness to engage in certain activities (even if they are picky). Is there some sexual or even non-sexual significance to what I observed, or did she just get a wild urge one day? And, yeah, she's pretty hot.
Wild urge.
Thanks. I was hoping for something more positive.
Brain damage?
I have one! It's called a smiley. Reason for me .... I have a gap and thought it'd be hot. Uses ... None really unless you eat pussy. Seems to reach better, with a man it doesn't get to touch it going down your throat. Hope that was helpful.