Chirinos

I realize I am not anywhere near an authority on baseball.
I try and watch as many Astros games as possible.
My question is why Chirinos seemed to slide to one side or another when catching a ball and not try to keep his glove in or near the strike zone?
The analyst John Smoltz said it was likely to prevent tipping off what pitch that was coming to the Yankees.

Sometimes I wish he would keep quiet, and let us watch the game. He never stops talking. He was even analyzing the crowd responsibilities, and what they should do.
Yeah, It was to keep from tipping pitch location. A pitcher will usually set up where he expects the pitch to be so the pitcher has a better target and he is in better position to block one he can't catch cleanly. The trade off is he is doing a lot of moving in that position which can tire a guy out. Also it prevents him from framing pitches that are close. The umps will call a strike if it's close and hits the target. If the catcher looks like he had to do some extra glove work just to make a clean catch they won't always get the close calls and that happened more than once last night.

I like Smolz and respect what he has to say but he does jump the shark at times. Seems like he runs out of stuff to say and just keeps talking. That's why Fox likes him though. There is no dead air. He's been there so I'd rather hear his first hand analysis and relate similar experiences about any part of the game than to hear the play by play guys speculate on it or ask stupid questions just to get the color guy to talk.
He was fawning over Greinke's athletic ability a little too much last night. A pitcher who has a lifetime batting average of .234 is NOT the same as a position player batting .400. Did he just compare Greinke to Ted fucking Williams? I mean, come on. Mike Hampton batted .240 something in his career and .300+ in Colorado. He also earned several silver sluggers and a at least one gold glove. That doesn't make him Babe Ruth.
Chirinos is credited as being a really good defensive catch. He moves around the plate for all the reason already mentioned. I cringe every time he takes a ball off of his mask or takes the bat on his arm shoulder or head. He earns his money
Catching is physically the hardest position on the field, In addition to the physical abilities it takes a lot of mental focus to be able to handle the pitchers and know the all the batters' tendencies.

Biggio was an excellent defensive catcher. His other skills were good enough that the Astros were smart enough to get him from behind the plate to save his legs.
Brad Ausmus was an good defensive pitcher but really stood out at handling some pretty good pitching rotations which rarely shook him off.

I remember an ex catcher color commentator, Tim McCarver perhaps, saying that sometimes you just needed to go to the mound with a good joke just to get a pitcher's mind right. So on top of every thing else a catcher had to do he also always had to have an arsenal of new material.
great question, also great and accurate responses!
I learned a lot. Thanks guys
Only radio has dead air. Let us watch the game.
Some people like Joe Buck, others don't. He is similar to a piece of dry toast.
Poor bastard is getting his ass beat to hell this post season.
Bruises from head to toe.
Don't worry, he is part Klingon
I'd rather hear his first hand analysis and relate similar experiences about any part of the game than to hear the play by play guys speculate on it or ask stupid questions just to get the color guy to talk. Originally Posted by boardman
^ please elaborate on the meaning of the bolded part. Thanks
The analyst is often referred to as the color guy. They add anecdotes and embellish the viewer's experience.
The play-by-play announcer may be referred to as "the black and white guy", while the announcer adds color to the story.
He can't give up the race baiting vm
This is a perfect example.
.....nothing there but he wants to make into something else
Stupid bastard
I'm good...ain't nobody here kicking my ass in this life or the next. ;-)
I'm good...ain't nobody here kicking my ass in this life or the next. ;-) Originally Posted by Sistine Chapel
The bigger they are the harder they fall...as I've told your racist ass before the cemeteries are FULL of self professed bad asses like you