ACA website and servers by contractors used outdated technology

So I just heard on the news from some expert programmer and network guy that the contractors who put the ACA website together and put the servers together were using old outdated technology from the late 1990s. They said they looked at some of the coding and it looked like amateurs put the website together, and surmise some of the contractors hired were not equipped or experienced enough to set this all up.

I wonder why they didn't do testing on the site and servers first before putting up for the public?

Anyway, I sure hope they get it fixed. But I know setting up servers can be a nightmare and a hard job. Especially if you have to set it up to connect with other Government entity LANS.

Found only one news article on this http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-over/2995989/
You mean Sebelius hired incompetent consultants and wasted hundreds of millions of tax dollars ?

No surprise ! And their incompetence won't stop.......
You mean Sebelius hired incompetent consultants and wasted hundreds of millions of tax dollars ?

No surprise ! And their incompetence won't stop....... Originally Posted by Whirlaway
From what I am hearing they used various contractors, this was rushed, and not properly tested. In addition why the hell would you use outdated servers??

It also sounds like some of the web programmers didn't have the experience or know how to set the site up properly.
  • CJ7
  • 10-17-2013, 01:49 PM
So I just heard on the news from some expert programmer and network guy that the contractors who put the ACA website together and put the servers together were using old outdated technology from the late 1990s. They said they looked at some of the coding and it looked like amateurs put the website together, and surmise some of the contractors hired were not equipped or experienced enough to set this all up.

I wonder why they didn't do testing on the site and servers first before putting up for the public?

Anyway, I sure hope they get it fixed. But I know setting up servers can be a nightmare and a hard job. Especially if you have to set it up to connect with other Government entity LANS.

Found only one news article on this http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-over/2995989/ Originally Posted by Stan.Dupp

common knowledge since the opening of the program ... why is this news?

Testing costs as much or more $$ as it does to fix the issues as you go ... everyone here knows how fond people are about government spending ...

test spend = bitch

don't test spend = bitch

the program is here and here to stay = bitch
It is what happens when you have incompetence running things............Kathleen Seibiulus should be fired........she would be if she worked for Google, Apple, or some other company.
common knowledge since the opening of the program ... why is this news?

Testing costs as much or more $$ as it does to fix the issues as you go ... everyone here knows how fond people are about government spending ...

test spend = bitch

don't test spend = bitch

the program is here and here to stay = bitch Originally Posted by CJ7

I didn't know it was news till today. I only thought it was some type of server overload or something, but didn't realize the contractors hired were using outdated technology. But I am hoping they are able to get it fixed. But with IT issues sometimes something of this scale takes a lot of time.

Could it be that because the Republicans were blocking any funding for this whole thing that impacted the quality of people putting it together or the type of equipment needed to get it up and running? I really don't know.
It is what happens when you have incompetence running things............Kathleen Seibiulus should be fired........she would be if she worked for Google, Apple, or some other company. Originally Posted by Whirlaway

That really isn't fair in my opinion to say that. This is the Government, not a huge company. The people running it may have had their hands strapped as to the type of equipment (based on cost and budget) to put this thing together. They may have had to use less than experienced contractors to do the programming for the website as well (due to budget constraints). In addition the Republicans have been blocking their ability to get the funding needed to get this thing off the ground.

Let me also add, even big companies who can afford good IT and equipment often times skimp in this area too!
No wonder we are so fucked; with thinking like this..........are you old enough to vote ?

That really isn't fair in my opinion to say that. This is the Government, not a huge company. The people running it may have had their hands strapped as to the type of equipment (based on cost and budget) to put this thing together. They may have had to use less than experienced contractors to do the programming for the website as well (due to budget constraints). In addition the Republicans have been blocking their ability to get the funding needed to get this thing off the ground. Originally Posted by Stan.Dupp
  • CJ7
  • 10-17-2013, 02:00 PM
I didn't know it was news till today. I only thought it was some type of server overload or something, but didn't realize the contractors hired were using outdated technology. But I am hoping they are able to get it fixed. But with IT issues sometimes something of this scale takes a lot of time.

Could it be that because the Republicans were blocking any funding for this whole thing that impacted the quality of people putting it together or the type of equipment needed to get it up and running? I really don't know. Originally Posted by Stan.Dupp

its probably because the media reports from word of mouth, and spins it to their liking ... anything for a story MO.

The WH reported several days ago it could take 2 weeks or 2 months, regardless, I'm pretty sure it will be fixed. If it isn't or can't be, we can go from there
No wonder we are so fucked; with thinking like this..........are you old enough to vote ?

Originally Posted by Whirlaway
I think you completely missed my point. But that's ok, obviously you know a lot about IT.
its probably because the media reports from word of mouth, and spins it to their liking ... anything for a story MO.

The WH reported several days ago it could take 2 weeks or 2 months, regardless, I'm pretty sure it will be fixed. If it isn't or can't be, we can go from there Originally Posted by CJ7
Ahhhhh, well I didn't know that. But I agree with you that the news media like to spin a story.
That really isn't fair in my opinion to say that. This is the Government, not a huge company. The people running it may have had their hands strapped as to the type of equipment (based on cost and budget) to put this thing together. They may have had to use less than experienced contractors to do the programming for the website as well (due to budget constraints). In addition the Republicans have been blocking their ability to get the funding needed to get this thing off the ground.

Let me also add, even big companies who can afford good IT and equipment often times skimp in this area too! Originally Posted by Stan.Dupp
But isn't it good to know that it's the same government that now controls your health care, Stand Duped?
But isn't it good to know that it's the same government that now controls your health care, Stand Duped?
Originally Posted by I B Hankering

Everyone thinking that the US government should be operated like a business is way off mark. That was the point I was making.

They will get this fixed, but it does bring many questions as to why they outsourced to contractors who used outdated equipment, or why they used what appears to be inexperienced programmers.

Again, we all know that funding has been blocked for this, so the people running the IT departments trying to handle this, have only what is given to them. If you get crap equipment there is very little you can do as IT to fix it aside from just doing the best you can where you can with what you have.

Originally Posted by Whirlaway
You're fucked, Girlyturd. You just don't accept it.
Everyone thinking that the US government should be operated like a business is way off mark. That was the point I was making.

They will get this fixed, but it does bring many questions as to why they outsourced to contractors who used outdated equipment, or why they used what appears to be inexperienced programmers.

Again, we all know that funding has been blocked for this, so the people running the IT departments trying to handle this, have only what is given to them. If you get crap equipment there is very little you can do as IT to fix it aside from just doing the best you can where you can with what you have. Originally Posted by Stan.Dupp
If a private company tried to market a product that didn't function correctly, a competitor would step in and offer a product that did work, and the first company would fail. Competition also encourages effeciancy and modernization; whereas, government bureaucracies encourage "status quo" stability.