Microsoft Anti-virus?

Has anyone tried the free Anti-Virus and Spyware now being offered by Microsoft? I received the information by email yesterday. In trying to research this, I could not find much info. Wondering if my present computer protection must be removed before installing the Microsoft product. It sounds interesting.....just have not heard much about it.
I have seen it, don't know much about it. I moved away from MS a couple of years ago. Other than Office I don't use MS. Too much MS on your computer causes problems...Get a MAC
  • Mokoa
  • 05-16-2010, 12:53 PM
You are referring to Microsoft Security Essentials. It works pretty darned good. It is resident all the time so you cannot run it along with any of the others such as Norton, McAfee, etc. Yes, it is free and that includes the periodic updates to its virus definitions database.

You may get more information and download it here...

Microsoft Security Essentials
Thanks Mokoa!

The video instructions are very straight forward. I see that you must have a valid Microsoft OS, further, you must un-install all other Anti-virus or Spyware on the computer. I think I will do it. Sorry Mac users..I am stuck with Gates. I am old and don't like change.
  • Mokoa
  • 05-16-2010, 11:07 PM
You are quite welcome. The install will be quite painless and when it is done you will be in good shape. Just remember to keep the virus definitions database updated and do scans at regular intervals.

The key word here is vigilance.
  • wiggy
  • 05-17-2010, 08:44 AM
I have seen it, don't know much about it. I moved away from MS a couple of years ago. Other than Office I don't use MS. Too much MS on your computer causes problems...Get a MAC Originally Posted by SOULMANIKE
Anything with Microsoft is crap. If you have been in the industry for as long as I have, since the boom of the computer, it is best to stay away from worthless crap.
I usually stick with the non MS software as everyone else has suggested. Free antivirus like AVG and Avast are good and aren't memory hogs like Norton and McAfee. Good antimalware software include Malwarebytes and Spybot. Best method to prevent many infections is to use any browser other than Internet Explorer. My fave three are Firefox, Chrome and Opera for Windows OS. Good luck.
I used to use Norton years ago. Then I switched to McAfee. Then AVG. Now I use MS Security Essentials - it seems to do a great job, and the price is right.
Anything with Microsoft is crap. If you have been in the industry for as long as I have, since the boom of the computer, it is best to stay away from worthless crap. Originally Posted by wiggy
I agree with, but without Microsoft, I would not have my job as long as I have since I am field service it tech.
I have had good luck with MS Security Essentials. When I would work on some ones PC I used to go with AVG due to the price but in the last two years I think it went kind of downhill quality wise and uphill in the resources used department. My go-to AV product is now Security Essentials.

No product is perfect but many of the review sites seem impressed with the product so far.
I installed Microsoft Security Essential on two PC's to evaluate, and I have to admit - it is pretty darned good! I purposely loaded several virus files (compressed, executable, load on start, etc, etc) and it picked up and cleaned each one. Took a bit longer then expected - about 10-minutes - but for FREE, this one gets my thumbs-up

There is another free with Anti-Spyware and AntiVirus called Spyware Terminator. It is free also, works good, and is free...

http://www.spywareterminator.com/
Secruity Essentials is very good, its not super resource intensive and does a good job at scanning. Most scientific tests rate it best for speed and thorough accruate scanning.
I will be installing MS Security Essentials on a small workgroup (12-computers) for evalaution. I like it so far...
I recently had a bad trojan on my personal computer (not that kind ) and neither AVG or Malwarebytes could get rid of it so out of an act of desperation I tried MS Security Essentials and it instantly found and removed it and I have not had a problem in weeks. Normally I would say don't waste your time with free ms av programs but they have my vote for now.

I still run AVG and use MB but MS Security Essentials is doing a good job catching things that AVG does not. As for Norton and McAfee. BLAH, don't waste your money on them when you can get better for free.
The short answer of "Get a Mac" is correct. Get a Mac, and don't go back.

Why? To answer that you have to go to the root of the operating system. Mac, and the underlying operating system does not have a direct connection to the programs; windows does. Microsoft just built it that way that the programs are connected. So just get to the program (e.g. MS Word) and you can crash the whole system.

There is one good reason to buy a Microsoft system: if you want to buy a lot of computers to do one thing at the lowest cost, with one program. e.g. checkout computers at a big store. You don't need the net, or anything else. Maybe, I would use MS, but probably not even in that case.

The Mac does everything you need, and it does it better. In the end, you don't have to buy the add on junk that doesn't work. Mac also has two data forks, and MS has one. So even if you get a crash (and I have done it on both systems) you are better protected on a Mac. You loose your information on windows.

I will have to hand it to Gates, Buy a windows cheap and add on - see everyone is doing it. BS that is like buying a VW vs a Mac Truck when the Truck will carry more, at the same gas millage, and at almost the same purchase price. Only a fool would buy the VW. Dump windows and run to a Mac like your life depended on it. You will never look back.

Been there, done that.

JR