Should DC, PR and other Territories Get Statehood

Aside from the argument that it would add more democrats to congress are there other arguments for why they should not.

My suggestion for years was to make them all 1 state, call them the Territories or something. It’s never really made sense to be that Hawaii and Alaska were made states but the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and DC which are overall more populous aren’t.

My other suggestion was to add DC back to Maryland for the purpose of its “statehood” so there wouldn’t be additional senators but MD would likely get a couple more representatives. Then you can make the territories a single state.

Just doesn’t make much sense that US citizens would not have representation.
DC absolutely should not because it's the seat of power. The people living there should be getting the voter representation from Virginia or Maryland, depending which part of DC they're in.

On the flip-side, if DC gets made into a state, it'll be the first City-State, and that can create precedent that cities like NYC, Chicago, LA, and SF/Oakland can be seperated from the core state, and would give republicans a huge swing.

For PR and the other territories - No, we just need to cut them loose, let them be their own countries again. Same for Hawaii
Hawaii is too strategic to let go. I am not in disagreement regarding the territories. I just think they are too baked in to no longer be part of the US. Maybe all the territories and DC can be added to the different states Guam to Hawaii, PR to Florida and DC to MD.

There would be difficulty in allocating their representatives due to districts being added by state legislatures so they would likely not have proper apportionment and wouldn’t have a seat in the drawing of the lines. I’m sure there would be issues there.

Legislation for DC statehood will eventually be taken up. I do agree that the City/State issue could grow in the future. LA and NY are larger by population and economy than over 35 states.
Hawaii is too strategic to let go. Originally Posted by 1blackman1
I mean, you say that, but we haven't annexed Germany yet.

There's a lot of people on the islands that want the non-natives out.
Puerto Rican's do not pay Federal Income Tax and only receive some benefits. If they became a State 90% would qualify for full welfare benefits.. Taxpayers would be required to build public housing,hospitals, roads and hospitals. The Federal Government requires States to meet standards.
What do I say to that GG. Lol.
It has always been understood that dc should never be a state or be in a state. Conflict of interest!
I've been to PR mulitple times, even once during a plebescite that passed narrowly.

Right now, they've got the best of both worlds. Billions in tax subsidies going in and very little tax revenue going out. The PRs even believe that if they left the US as a seperate country they'd still retain US citizenship.

PR level of corruption makes Louisiana look good. They're also based in Spanish Law. So not yet.

I thought DC was ineligible for statehood via the constitution but what the consitution says is nearly meaningless now.
Hmmm. It has 800K people. Maybe some of its land (the residential sections) should be land granted and annexed back to MD. The govt actually only takes up a small portion of the city (mainly downtown and some parts of New York Ave.). Everything else is residential/shopping/ etc). I just can’t imagine that nearly a million Americans are going to continue to be denied representation.
I suspect the unspoken reason for denial of DC representation is due to its ethnic makeup. If it was 95% white, the opinions might be different.
I suspect the unspoken reason for denial of DC representation is due to its ethnic makeup. If it was 95% white, the opinions might be different. Originally Posted by reddog1951
If that were the case, the south wouldn't have a vote. Nor would Michigan.
Moot point Gaston. They're already in.
  • oeb11
  • 01-27-2021, 02:31 PM
all sources of DPST/ccp deluded Votes - to maintain Power over teh people.
that is the DPST/ccp motivation - pure and simple.

Any Conservative leaning potential state would be cut off immediately by teh Ruling Cabal.
ibid
DC absolutely should not because it's the seat of power. The people living there should be getting the voter representation from Virginia or Maryland, depending which part of DC they're in.

On the flip-side, if DC gets made into a state, it'll be the first City-State, and that can create precedent that cities like NYC, Chicago, LA, and SF/Oakland can be seperated from the core state, and would give republicans a huge swing.

For PR and the other territories - No, we just need to cut them loose, let them be their own countries again. Same for Hawaii Originally Posted by GastonGlock

DC made into a state, that would be unconstitutional. the consitution is quite clear on that. its supposed to be neutral territory. the only solution really is to split washington off from D.C to Maryland or Virgina.

I see you agree with me on Hawaii. it should have never made state to begin with. it should be independent.

Puerto Rico, no. 80% of the population speak spanish. they need to go independent.

as for the other territories, Guam, Virgin islands, Mariana islands and American Samoa, i'm open on them being either states or having free association status like micronesia and Palau (former u.s. territories)

the formation of other city-states would not be a bad thing.