HVAC in Pittsburgh

I retired as a Serv tech due to my knees. I wasn't smart enough to use kneepads until my knees told me that I had to. I still do some side jobs, I especially like working on oil furnaces. Not so much like doing a\c work, due to the changes in the freons.
It was the opposite for me- hated oil and liked A/C over heating. I also liked refrigeration, it was always something different. In the end I got sick of the on call and messed up hours so I found a different path. I still do a little HVAC work here and there for friends and family, but that’s about it these days.
Agreed with the on-call, that sucks. But it is part of the business. You guys(and girls) out there who do hvac service, start demanding more for your service, I worked part time after retiring because they couldn't find anybody who wanted to work. A tech who knows what they are doing should be getting 20-25/hr.
I’m in the aviation industry but sub out all my A/C work. The equipment (recovery machine etc) would take a decade to pay for itself so it makes more fiscal sense to hire out someone who does it full time, throw 15-20% on their bill and call it a day.
... Good for ALL you fellows!

The TRADESMEN - lads (and lasses) are the TRUE backbone
of the country... And sometimes their service is overlooked.

#### Salty
... Good for ALL you fellows!

The TRADESMEN - lads (and lasses) are the TRUE backbone
of the country... And sometimes their service is overlooked.

#### Salty Originally Posted by Salty Again
Sadly it’s overlooked most of the time. Average pay in HVAC is a joke for the knowledge you need to be proficient at the job, and the work you have to do. Most places pay nothing for being on call except for any overtime you get- nothing for sitting at home the whole week waiting for the phone to ring.

It’s a shame.
I agree that finding good quality techs can be a challenge these days - and I say that from a consumer standpoint who has dealt with various techs / companies both from a commercial and residential standpoint.

Too many companies out there employ poorly qualified people these days. As a consumer, when you find a good tech and company, stick with them
You guys all have your heads on straight, amazing how many people don't. When I firts got into the trade, all I needed was hand tools , a set of gauges(cheap ones)and a vacumn pump. Today's tech needs battery powered tools, differant leak detectors,expensive digital gauges, wi-fi measuring devices, not to mention a good torch set, nitrogen set, and probably a few other items that I am forgetting. I understand that a new refrigerant will be introduced in the next couple of years(it is a blend which contains BUTANE). This translates to new equipment and maybe certification. Any techs who are good need to get as much as they can, I have seen ads on t v from some union that is catering to hvac techs.
All this talk about ppl not wanting to work is BS. Pay ppl what they deserve! Especially techs in this industry!
Just made a visit to my former employer, yesterday. They usually have some witty saying on the sign out front, now it says Now Hiring.
All this talk about ppl not wanting to work is BS. Pay ppl what they deserve! Especially techs in this industry! Originally Posted by lterek22
Damn right!
Just made a visit to my former employer, yesterday. They usually have some witty saying on the sign out front, now it says Now Hiring. Originally Posted by Looker151
Is your former employer on Lincoln Way, by chance?
No, is in Westmoreland county.
great, i got a new heat pump needs finished
he got transfered to meadville n wont come bac n finish, anyone interested? pm me
That is bullshit, I hope you didn't pay him in full. Recently, I have had some health issues. Otherwise, I would offer to take a ride by to see what needs done. Too many people get ripped off by guys who start something and don't follow through.