Any IT guys here?

My two assistants and I share files via email and flash drives. I'm looking for a networking solution.

While we have a company that does our IT work for us, I do not have any money in the budget for the purchase and installation of a server.

I'm thinking there must be a cloud-based solution, but my searches are proving fruitless because of techno-babble and marketing speak on the websites I've found.

What I am envisioning is a cloud-based solution that functions just like a local server would: A mapped drive letter, and a directory structure. One of us opens a file and works on it, then resaves it. While we're working on it, it can be opened by someone else but not modified.

We do have a free Dropbox, but, as far as I've been able to determine, you have to download a file, work on it locally, then upload it again. That's a hassle I wish to avoid.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • Crock
  • 01-05-2019, 09:53 PM
What I am envisioning is a cloud-based solution that functions just like a local server would: A mapped drive letter, and a directory structure. One of us opens a file and works on it, then resaves it. While we're working on it, it can be opened by someone else but not modified.

We do have a free Dropbox, but, as far as I've been able to determine, you have to download a file, work on it locally, then upload it again. That's a hassle I wish to avoid.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Originally Posted by Sir Lancehernot
Dropbox works exactly like you describe in your first paragraph. Each member of the group will have their own account and you can create a shared folder. Dropbox will keep that folder synchronized, just like a networked folder on a local server. That folder will just look like any other folder on your computer. If two people open the same file, Dropbox will warn both users. It's almost idiot proof.
Not an it guy but have you looked at WebDAV or webdrive

Never used it but might be what you are looking for.

Yeah. You can setup Dropbox to be like a drive folder.
The are more cloud based solutions for that than you can shake a stick at. Probably some free ones. Some not mentioned
Google Docs / google drive,
One Drive
LogMeIn
Box

Https://financesonline.com/top-10-file-sharing-services/
Fist hit from first search

depends what you need do you collaborate on files? Size of files?
It's really basic stuff, just making sure that we all have access to files containing current client information, and the latest versions of forms and small spreadsheets that we use. Currently, I email new versions to my staff, saying, "Here, use this one."

I just realized in my drunken stupor that we could probably use our current Dropbox to share receipts between the person who scanned them in and the person who's entering the onformation from them.
Honestly you just described office365
Google docs is your best free/cheap solution https://docs.google.com/ you can do live editing with multiple people and it tracks changes/version control. If you are open to a paid solution (or already have Office365) you can use that as well.
Office 365 and some basic Exchange Server hosting sounds like what you need. Easy and inexpensive.
If you are worried about security then you probably can't go wrong with using either Office or Google.

If you are already using Microsoft Office Suite then it will be easier to go with OffIce 365.

There are small formatting issues that become a pain in the ass when converting files from Microsoft to Google or Apple software equivalents.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...ison,5834.html
Since you already have Dropbox, it's hard to see why that isn't your solution. I use it all the time to keep things in sync between my desktop and laptop machines. As soon as you save a file to the local folder it gets automatically uploaded (if you're online), then it gets automatically downloaded to the other machine(s) (if they are online) to keep them up-to-date. Isn't that what you're asking for? There is a size limit to the free account, so it depends on how much data you need to share. You might need to spend a little for extra storage.
  • Crock
  • 01-06-2019, 03:42 PM
The are more cloud based solutions for that than you can shake a stick at. Probably some free ones. Some not mentioned
Google Docs / google drive,
One Drive
LogMeIn
Box

Https://financesonline.com/top-10-file-sharing-services/
Fist hit from first search

depends what you need do you collaborate on files? Size of files? Originally Posted by AT6Texan
Honestly you just described office365 Originally Posted by 7aurelius
Since you already have Dropbox, it's hard to see why that isn't your solution. Originally Posted by billw1032
Yeah, actually, all of the file sharing services are exactly what he described. I just figured that since they're already using Dropbox, that setting up a shared folder is the easiest for them.
Google docs is your best free/cheap solution https://docs.google.com/ you can do live editing with multiple people and it tracks changes/version control. If you are open to a paid solution (or already have Office365) you can use that as well. Originally Posted by badbottom
Google is notorious for mining your data and sharing it with people / firms who do pay. I'm sure they're not the only one. If that's the route you choose, get some encryption software and don't put anything on the cloud that isn't encrypted first. Take a look at Folder Lock - $40 and easy to use.

If it's "free" - then YOU are the product.
Use amazon web services. Register an account under free tier and use simple storage service aka S3. It’s free for first one year and then based on your usage