detection of fake bills 101

I've seen quite a few posts about fake bills and decided to try and share some info.

1. Counterfeit markers only test the paper.

2. Bills are being bleached so the paper will still mark as real.

3. All new bills have water marks except for ones.

4. All new bills have a strip that says the denomination except for ones.

5. Holding a bill up to the light will show both

6. If you have a bill and the strip says five and has a Lincoln water mark but the printed amount is 100, 50, 20, or 10 its been altered.

Hope that helps someone.

Ps I don't except old bills without strips or watermarks.

Johnny
It is possible to change the mylar strip out of the bill.

To me, the watermarks are so horrible on the bills that I can't tell what they are pictures of.

For those who have excellent near sighted vision (or have a handy optical magnifier) the minature printing on the bills seems to be a flawless way to determine authenticity. Copiers can't duplicate the tiny print.
But It's tricky the watermark is more of a reference as even Lincolns head shape wise us nothing like Franklins or Jacksons I've found quite a few of the fives passed off as hundreds and spotted them this way.

Johnny
Wont the old rub it on white paper and look at the color left behind still work?
Next time I find one I'll try it
Theres also a way to tell by feeling andrew jacksons coat part or any of them, use your nail, it has texture to it. fake ones dont. Learned that working at a gas station about a year or so ago, we were getting alot of fake 20s coming through and the police showed us how to tell. Markers dont always work, you can mark a news paper and it will come back as a real 20 so. Just to kinda help out with the fake crap
Hope that helps ladies