Venmo sharing some of your transaction info

i saw this article on NPR.org and read something rather interesting...
https://www.npr.org/2019/02/25/69709...-relationships
"Every transaction has a memo line, and the app suggests emoji instead of words for things like pizza, wine and rent.

The memos and emoji are public by default. Venmo offers to sync users' phone and Facebook contacts too. So you can see how your friends — and total strangers — spend money and what they're asking others to pay for."
so be careful with your use of electronic payment systems, esp your sharing settings !!!

in their privacy policy (https://venmo.com/legal/us-privacy-policy/), is this...
"Social Web Information - including but not limited to your Facebook Connect credentials and email account information. If you authorize Facebook Connect, the plug in allows us access to your email address, Facebook friends list, and public profile (including profile picture). We also allow you to import data from other social web services, including but not limited to Twitter, FourSquare, and email service providers. Social and e-mail contact information helps you connect to friends and contacts for invitation and payment transmission purposes (as well as helping us improve the Services and fight fraud). Additionally, another Venmo user may mention you in a transaction to which you are not a party by “tagging” your username in a transaction note or comment. When you are mentioned in a transaction note or comment into which you have visibility (e.g., a public transaction, a “friends only” transaction by one of your Venmo friends, or a comment on either such transaction), a link to your Venmo profile will appear in the transaction note or comment and, if your push notifications are turned on, you will receive a push notification about the mentions. You may manage certain contact preferences and notifications in your account settings."
Another great reminder of why cash is king.
Yep....I had to tell one of my hobby guys I could see all of his RW transactions. I no longer use it....way too risky.
  • PGATS
  • 02-28-2019, 02:39 PM
Yep it’s always that way - have to change your settings to private.

Cash only.
I noticed this a while back. I've only used it to send my kiddo money, but noticed a whole of information from other users . WTH? Why would anyone else need to know I sent my lil man grocery money and more importantly, why would anyone care?! I certainly don't care or have time to care what others are doing.
  • BLM69
  • 02-28-2019, 03:39 PM
Someone showed me that also, we were reading a friends transactions and what they were for. That's some BS
Not a great idea. Also, it's run by Paypal, not SW friendly at all.
Cash Cash ...
CASH ONLY just saying ,,,,, The internet is being watched
Cash only here and in my private life whenever possible. Checks and cards leave a trail and the smaller my trail the better. And I'm not paranoid. I'm astonished by what our government and information gathering sites can find, not to mention foreign entities. Everyone uses cards now for even small things like buying a coke at 7/11. Why hand your trail/info over?
No Venmo or Paypal here no way....
In my divorce my ex asked for a forensic review of the accounts.

Plenty of issues to clarify, but you know what?

I have full custody of my kids.

Why you asked?

Because ALL my whoring was done in cash!

Who leaves a paper trail in this business?
I take deposits through Venmo & Cash App. You simply have to set your transaction view to Private instead of Public.
LOL though I still get clients who will list "for date" in the reason/description line *facepalm*
For guys who are so worried about getting caught, they can send a Amazon gift card.
If your collar is so tight you cant do any of those, we just aren't a good match.
I take deposits through Venmo & Cash App. You simply have to set your transaction view to Private instead of Public.
LOL though I still get clients who will list "for date" in the reason/description line *facepalm*
For guys who are so worried about getting caught, they can send a Amazon gift card.
If your collar is so tight you cant do any of those, we just aren't a good match. Originally Posted by tiatate
Dont forget to tell them about your self-admitted "collection" of data that you also "take" and store for "future use" .....

To the OP, thanks for the PSA.....
Yeah def don't trust Venmo, you can change your transaction to private in the settings but as others have mentioned, cash is king. Sucks a lot of people ask nowadays to use cash app/paypal/venmo but I refuse, way too risky!