The Square

I know I have not been a part of ECCIE that long, but I love what I do and I also take this very seriously (ie, as a business). For the men that have SOs or men that cannot openly meet with independent providers, would it be an investment for me to use a square for credit card transactions or should stick with the old-fashioned form of money for donations? I am not going to lie: the 2.75% tax I will pass on to the hobbyist. For those that don't pay attention, the square is a white square that is attached to your smartphone and you use your credit or debit card to swipe through it like a normal credit card reader. If the payer wants, a receipt is sent to their email address. It seems a little bit discreet in certain cases, hence why I am asking. Feel free to give me your truthful opinions.
Seems to me that it would be even more dangerous for a guy with a SO to use a credit card. Even if she doesn't pay the bills or there is no chance that she would come across the statement, he's still leaving a trail.

I don't have a SO and I can't imagine ever using a credit card.
  • Trey
  • 04-27-2012, 07:52 AM
I see cc payment offered a lot on BP most times I think its a scam. Now remember you can be taken this way as well babe, if I call my cc company and say charge is fraudulent.
Hmm i like the cc idea just as long i know everything comes out legit.i say its a good way to jack up your cc if you plan on filing for bankruptcy lol
Fuck, now I have to get a hobby CC?
Cash only. No paper trail. I wonder what will happen to the Hobby as we eventually become a cashless society? Spain is already headed that way right now. Too much unreported income for governments not to eventually go to no cash, or they will make it illegal to pay more than $10 or $20 for anything in cash (I think I read that is what Spain is doing now).
... they will make it illegal to pay more than $10 or $20 for anything in cash ... Originally Posted by GentlemanTexan
.. well sounds like hobby prices are going down ....

... back to the good ole days!
Once you swipe anything you are ON THE GRID. Most in the Hobby World want to stay pretty-much Under The Radar.

In this worldUTR is paramount , cash is king and leaves no trail.
One of the cardinal rules of hobbying is Cash Only. Your customer doesn't want a paper trail, and neither do you. The risk inherent in using plastic far outweighs the gain.
  • bgood
  • 04-27-2012, 02:17 PM
No CC for me.
One of the cardinal rules of hobbying is Cash Only. Your customer doesn't want a paper trail, and neither do you. The risk inherent in using plastic far outweighs the gain. Originally Posted by blowpop
Agree.
BTW I remember reading somthing on the internet (that makes it true) that around 90% of all dollars only exist in theory. Meaning were almost cashless now.
Not a good idea.
You'd get scammed more than you could swing a stick at . Helllo Visa, yeah what is that charge on my card to pussytopia and pals ? Please delete that. Then you, hello this is visa's fraud security department etc.... You get the point.
Don't do it! Just that simple.