Apple's Letter to its customers

I don't think a court order can force them to do the impossible on the device in question. Building in a backdoor to future versions is a slippery slope, but how do you decrypt the existing device is the impossible task.
Apple's Letter

Thoughts? Originally Posted by MarieLynn of DFW
I don't own apple products. Overrated and overpriced toys just like a lot of providers.
I don't think a court order can force them to do the impossible on the device in question. Building in a backdoor to future versions is a slippery slope, but how do you decrypt the existing device is the impossible task. Originally Posted by Boltfan
I disagree Bolt. I believe Apple has the technology to decrypt existing devices. It's Software Engineering 101 to build a "undocumented" backdoor as a "nuclear option" when all else fails. To me it's sounds like a catch 22, The Feds want the data and is asking Apple to provide (to them) a utility that can decrypt the phone's password and all them to read/retrieve its data.

Its in Apples interest to assist the Feds in anyway possible and I would imagine they offered to decrypt the phone but since the FBI appears to be more interested obtaining ongoing backdoor access for ALL IPhones over solving the issue.
A lot of hemming and hawing from Apple here. Mostly just posturing and marketing. The solutions to the problem of getting the data off the phone are simple and numerous as far as Apple is concerned. Government is overreaching, and Apple is happy to use it to their advantage.

The big difference here is what's being asked for versus what can be done to accomplish what is needed.
To me the real issue is the Feds forcing a private company to change there policy , and or spend money writing programs that the Feds can later use. (without us knowing) just saying.
I disagree Bolt. I believe Apple has the technology to decrypt existing devices. It's Software Engineering 101 to build a "undocumented" backdoor as a "nuclear option" when all else fails. To me it's sounds like a catch 22, The Feds want the data and is asking Apple to provide (to them) a utility that can decrypt the phone's password and all them to read/retrieve its data.

Its in Apples interest to assist the Feds in anyway possible and I would imagine they offered to decrypt the phone but since the FBI appears to be more interested obtaining ongoing backdoor access for ALL IPhones over solving the issue. Originally Posted by Frique-Me
I don't agree they already have the option in place.
..........it bothers me every time I receive an unwanted solicitation on my phone or computer and it's obvious my contact info was pirated.

However, I'm doubting the Feds are wanting to see what's in my phone.

....imagine this for a moment, and god I hope all cowardly radicalized attacks never occur again, ...........the CEO of Apple, he's going to fight helping the Feds and he'll win for the most part......but what if in this specific phone of the San Bernardino murderers held information on planned attacks/attackers and they get carried out because the Feds didn't get the information to stop it........now, what if one of the poor souls murdered in this attack was an immediate family member of the Apple CEO.
They can but are hiding behind the law.
We lost or freedom along time ago.
When we started paying taxes.
You can't even go to a doctor without them looking at your history.
Nothing else is private so let's get over this and find out who else they were going to kill.
Let's face the facts extremists no matter who they are have just one agenda.
TO CARRY OUT THEIR PLAN
Any other opinions that don't involve tinfoil hats?

What evidence do you have that they already have this backdoor in place? The subpoena is specific in that it wants them to build the backdoor. With all your tinfoil theories, you would think they would just request the backdoor since the NSA already knows it exists?
John McAfee (of McAfee Anti Virus) has offered to decrypt the phone. He says he and his team can do it in three weeks. He sides with Apple and wonders why the FIB can't do it. He said they're too cheap and uptight to hire the right people, lol.

BTW, if Apple is somehow forced to try this, you better believe they'll bill the FIB (read: taxpayers) for their efforts.

I guess somebody early on tried the dead guy's fingers for Touch ID...right?
Hate to ruin your mind but every thing has a back door.
Here is one for you to pounder on.
You buy an expensive save and need to get into it?
Umm how do u get in?
If it's electronic company has a secure nimber that only certain vendors have.
Also if it is a combination they have a very special template.
You place it over the safe make a 1/16th drill hole insert the paper clip and your in.
Feel safe now.
Or how about this every day a car is stolen and the chipped key is still with the owner and no tow truck was used.
No tin foil needed.
You haven't cited a source for your hypothesis on the device, but ok.

Comparing a safe and a car with iPhone decryption is a reach.

Prolongus, touch ID only works if the device is still powered up. Once you restart you have to remember the code, but then touch id works again.
You haven't cited a source for your hypothesis on the device, but ok.

Comparing a safe and a car with iPhone decryption is a reach.

Prolongus, touch ID only works if the device is still powered up. Once you restart you have to remember the code, but then touch id works again. Originally Posted by Boltfan

Yep...forgot about that...

And fuck the FIB for putting the onus on Apple. Lazy shits need to figure it out themselves. Wonder if they called McAfee knowing Apple will put up a fight...
A direct quote from Tim Cook's letter: "But now the U.S. government has asked us for something we simply do not have, and something we consider too dangerous to create. They have asked us to build a backdoor to the iPhone."

From that I conclude that (1) Apple does not have the backdoor capability; (2) Apple feels they could create it if they chose to; (3) They think it would be a bad idea and choose not to. That seems clear from the letter, unless you believe that Tim Cook is lying.

I note that the news reports today say that Google (creator of the Android system) and Microsoft have come out in support of Apple's position.