From where does humor come?

• oden
  • 08-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Where do we get our humor?
  • WTF
  • 08-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Funny bone
It's in the Comedy Central forum, two down the list from here.
Many evolutionary scientists believe that humor appeared at roughly the same time as bipedalism.
I don’t know, but I heard too much of it can lead to humoroids
Many evolutionary scientists believe that humor appeared at roughly the same time as bipedalism. Originally Posted by China Doll
So that's why creationists have no sense of humor!

Cheers,
Mazo.
Many evolutionary scientists believe that humor appeared at roughly the same time as bipedalism. Originally Posted by China Doll
Humor probably originated from watching each other get up and attempt to walk for the first time.
  • WTF
  • 08-16-2010, 08:43 AM

Cheers,
Mazo. Originally Posted by Mazomaniac
Eve, "You suck one cock and you're a cocksucker for life!"

A man brings home a cock sucking frog and gives it to his wife.

She asks "What the fuck am I supposed to do with that"

So he replies "Teach it to cook, then fuck off
Humor probably originated from watching each other get up and attempt to walk for the first time. Originally Posted by pjorourke
That's the idea!

Cheers,
Mazo. Originally Posted by Mazomaniac
Hi-larious!

If it’s bipedalism, I wonder of other primates have a sense of humor. Chimps seem to. I may sit around and Google that this evening.
Hi-larious!

If it’s bipedalism, I wonder of other primates have a sense of humor. Chimps seem to. I may sit around and Google that this evening. Originally Posted by OliviaHoward
I have wondered this very same thing. Humor would have had to evolve in other primates separately. Based on certain behaviors of other primates, I think that they do have a sense of humor.
In everything "funny" there is an element of emotional, phycological or even, physical . . . pain.
Hi-larious!

If it’s bipedalism, I wonder of other primates have a sense of humor. Chimps seem to. I may sit around and Google that this evening. Originally Posted by OliviaHoward
They use tools and laugh. Ever watch an old Tarzan movie?
In "Stranger in a Strange Land" the main character, Valentine Michael Smith, is trying to figure out human humor after being raised by Martians. After multiple false starts he points out to the dismay of his human acquaintances that everything "funny" contains something that is inherently wrong or bad, and that laughter is humanity's way of dealing with all the wrongness in life. I've never run across a more cogent explanation of the nature of humor than this.
Actually, it's not just primates with a sense of humor -- ever seen dolphins playing with a sail boat?