So I got this message in a Christmas Card . . .

I got this message in a card from an old High School buddy who seems to be trying hard but just doesn't quite get it.

The Spirit of The Season:

This year I have completely bought into the philosophy of a green economy utilizing local renewable resources. Additionally, I have rejected the culture of commercial consumerism. Instead of giving everyone cheap consumer products produced with slave labor in China, I have committed my entire gift budget for Christmas, Chanukah and Cuanza, to improving the lives of the indigenous peoples of Central America.

In fulfillment of this commitment, a generous donation has been made—in your name—to purchase a giant old-growth Rosewood tree in Honduras. A local company has agreed (pro-bono) to harvest this ancient tree and convert it into charcoal briquettes that will be donated to the local people for cooking during this holiday season.

In their name, I thank you.
  • SeV
  • 12-17-2019, 12:29 PM
So basically, no pun intended
You’ve got wood
Well yes and no . . .

I never touched the wood.

And I made a donation.
I don't know what to say.. I think RD said it best, with that laughing smiley above.

did you refer your friend to a good Psychiatrist in his area?
The process described by the OP sounds very wasteful.

Cutting down a green living tree to make charcoal briquettes consumes a lot of energy.

We heat our house burning firewood. We live in dense forest, our firewood comes from old dead trees [either standing dead wood or trees that have fallen down during a windstorm].

Dead dry wood burns much easier than green wood

We even have a wood burning cookstove [it is brand new, my wife wanted one].
The process described by the OP sounds very wasteful.

Cutting down a green living tree to make charcoal briquettes consumes a lot of energy.

. Originally Posted by RetiredSubmariner
Of course . . you are right.

This is a People-Unclear-On-The-Concept sort of joke!

Who else didn't get it?