Music - No, Your Music!

Let's have some fun!

Your music..... the stuff that raises your eyebrows when you hear it......the stuff you record or purchase to play when you want to listen to music at other times.

Old groups, new groups, your style.

Personally, I understand many things about a person by their music. Thus, the reason for the post.

In my opinion music is something we're drawn to naturally during our adolescent years.....and it stays with us.........maybe influenced by peers but still something we define ourselves by when someone asks ......" what kind of music do you like "?

What say you and why?

Me: Classic rock & roll! Just a first choice, not an only choice. Why? It's so broad, you can understand the words......well, many of them..... It's got style. The same group ( individual ) might sing hard rock, blues, soul, and soft rock.

But........what memories are tied to your favorite music?
A lil' bit 'o' everything. Mostly classic rock, 60's and 70's (the other day I heard a radio DJ use "Pearl Jam" and "classic rock" in the same sentence! WTF?!). My folks are still in their own personal Woodstock, so it just kind of stuck with me. Reminds me of home.

I bought the CSN&Y Deja Vu album a several days ago just to hear a few specific songs....I love The Beatles, Eric Clapton, Fleetwood Mac, The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, just to name a few off the top of my head.
I'm also a big YES fan; I know you either love 'em or hate 'em, but I love 'em. Went and saw Jeff Beck a couple months ago at the insistence of my Dad, glad he made me go.
A lil' bit 'o' everything. Mostly classic rock, 60's and 70's (the other day I heard a radio DJ use "Pearl Jam" and "classic rock" in the same sentence! WTF?!). My folks are still in their own personal Woodstock, so it just kind of stuck with me. Reminds me of home.

I bought the CSN&Y Deja Vu album a few days ago just to hear a few specific songs....I love The Beatles, Eric Clapton, Fleetwood Mac, The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, just to name a few off the top of my head.
I'm also a big YES fan; I know you either love 'em or hate 'em, but I love 'em. Went and saw Jeff Beck a couple months ago at the insistence of my Dad, glad he made me go. Originally Posted by Dannie
I think I'm in love. Exquisite taste (except the Aerosmith, although you could do a lot worse).
Music is the core of my feckin' putrid soul!

What I heart (with some examples):

Industrial: Skinny Puppy

EBM: Imperative Reaction

Power Noise: Shnarph!

Aggrotech: Suicide Commando

Hardcore: Youth Of Today

Oi!: The 4-Skins

Punk: The Exploited

New Wave: Depeche Mode

Old school Rap: Public Enemy

Alternative: IAMX
  • T-Can
  • 06-04-2010, 05:15 AM
Neo, you forgot Kenny Rogers
And the Bee-Gees and ABBA....
I like this thread

I remember as far back as the middle 1960's but was a teen in the seventies.

Mostly classic rock ranging from groups such as The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix,Clapton Pink Floyd, Yes, Chicago, Genesis to name a few
I went to concerts non stop and was fortunate to see somethings that were truly remakable.

A few of those noteworthy events were

Seeing Pink Floyd perform The Wall live in NYC in the winter of 1980, the story of getting there from central Ohio and surviving as college students back then exploring NYC was as crazy and wild as the concert itself.

Meeting Peter Gabriel before one of his shows at a small club. Before the show he actually walked in and about the club and came right up to our table and thanked us for being there...

Kissing Nancy Wilson ( the blonde one)of Heart at a show in Cincinati Oh.
The woman can really play guitar and play it well..
A few months later I saw the Who at the same place. This is where the eleven people who were trampled to death by the decision of some arena employees to open doors early and this incident got the law passed to change seating laws in Ohio ( The arena in Cincinatti the floor was open no seating so there were mobs of people always pushing and was just crazy)

Seeing LedZeppelin blew me away

I could go on and on I consider my self lucky to have grown up in a place in time where the music was great , the performers rich with talent and the memories that will never be forgotten

Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails and Tool are todays class of music....

I generally like most music but no rap.....
Yeah St Mat, I got some of those memories of great times at concerts as well. Some I can't forget:

Carly Simon - ( wasn't a big fan but my date was ) she'd just come out with her first alblum and she took a gig at Emory University where she played the gym, no joke, the gym - couldn't have been more than 500 people in the place and she seemed scared shi*less. My date was an ex home coming queen from a small town in Arkansas - thank you Arkansas! Being accomadating has rewards.

Stevie Wonder - College basketball arena in the 70's - some drunk jerk in the second level with his frat brothers throws a liquor bottle that burst right behind Stevie in the middle of a song - multitudes swarmed the guy and his night was over. Stevie didn't flinch a bit.

Stones - Gator Bowl - Jacksonville, Fl - Jagger comes out with a real fire hose and sprays the floor of the bowl where most of the audience was standing - massive wet T shirt party ensued.

The night before the concert I'd fallen asleep in the airline terminal waiting for my date to come in after multiple cancelled flights and this unbelievably hot girl who just came in from NY for the concert wakes me up and tries to convince me to forget my date and come with her and her friends to their hotel....nadda, didn't take the bait....my date that got in hours later was way hotter......Yippe Ki Yay Cowgirl!

All those college years in the southeast seeing what was then referred to as " beach music ".... Tams, Temps, Maurice Williams, Jerry Butler, etc. All of these groups were ancient when I got to school and were still popular after I left.

If you've never experienced a concert at the Fox Theater in Atlanta, take one in if you get to Atlanta.....the acoustics make it seem like the performers are in your living room. Not sure what it's like now but late in the shows in the 70's - 80's it was difficult to see the stage from the smoke.

Stones again - Zelker Park - Austin, Texas - I'm standing in line waiting to go to the John, maybe 20 deep - I'll not forget listening to this older woman standing in front of me talking with who was apparently her grandson when she pulls out something we don't talk about and shares it with him as if they are completely alone. Grannies, who would have thunk it!

Some others over the years, Rod Stewart, Beatles, Alman Brothers, Dave Mathews....all have accompaning memories.....Hey..... there's more to go to.....maybe the Stones again in 2020 at Wembley.....who knows.
Classic Rock all the way
Many great memories with music from rock to c & w and more to come..like a good woman feels good from the inside-out...Journey, U2, Beatles, Eagles, Willie, Garth, Dylon, Police, Johny C., George S. Green Day, Guns and Roses, Led Zeplin, Deep purple...and the King...
Clapton's original "Layla" always reminded me of a fantastic love making session. It starts off slowly, builds the passion, explodes and settles into a nice long instrumental good for post-activity cuddling Damn, if I could ever get the timing to match - better than a simultaneous orgasm.

sorry.....just fantasizing. Dannie mentioned Eric Clapton prompting my outburst.

Now back to the story.
A guy I worked with in college was a CPA, he was gold mentalist on the CPA exam, moved to Dallas and decided he did not like pubilc accounting and moved by to Stillwater and got everything for his drs but his disperation sp? but moved to Nashville and wrote Love in the First Degree, he was producer for Brooks & Dunn
his name was Tim Dubuis

He also wrote "she got the gold, I got the shat
I have a vast variety of music that I enjoy. I guess what I am listening to on any given day depends on my mood. The following, in no particular order, besides #1 are some of my favorites. Journey, Prince, Michael Jackson, Def Leppard, Smokey Robinson, The Commodores, The Temptations, Heart, Led Zepplin, Tupac, Chicago, Duran Duran, Bootsy Collins, The Manhattans, Marvin Gaye and Al Green.

I like some of the current stuff as well, but there is nothing like listening to:
Journey, when you are feeling love sick. My favorite band ever!

Prince's International Lover, when you are feeling freaky! (crack up every time I hear that song).

The Commodores, The Temptations, Smokey Robinson and The Manhattans always make me feel warm and fuzzy!

Duran Duran (Hungry Like the Wolf and The Reflex), Chicago and Michael Jackson always bring back memories of Junior High and when life was simple.

Heart, Def Leppard, and Led Zepplin remind me of my rebellious High school days. I can remember flashing a guy that I was all wet over when we were leaving the lake on Senior Skip day to "Pour Some Sugar on Me". I was riding in the back seat of his Mustang GT, with my best friend and he and my boyfriend were in the front seat. Wind was blowing through the car and blew my blouse up. My first reaction was to push it back down, but when I looked in the rear view mirror, he was looking at me and even though I was a little embarrassed, I let the blouse do what it was doing and enjoyed watching him watch me. Woohoo! Those were the good ole days!

Bootsy Collins, Eminem and Tupac are just cool! Listening to Tupac and Eminem allows me to act out my frustrations and look really cute while I am doing so. I have my favorite line out of an Eminem song that I have to say outloud in my very best "gangsta" style. Needless to say, I embarrass my kids daily!

Al Green and Marvin Gaye words can't describe!
Y'all are going to get me going on this one. I'm stuck in the 60's and 70's rock time warp. Just an unbelievable explosion of musical creativity during that period. And the concerts! First time I ever saw anyone live was The Doors in a little hole in the wall club in Denver. In high school in Houston, saw Jefferson Airplane, Blues Image, Iron Butterfly (Ina Gada da Vida, baby!), Rod Stewart, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, and Donovan to name but a few. At the Red Rocks Amphitheater outside Denver: Vanilla Fudge, Jackson Brown, Bonnie Raitt (I've seen her many times since), and Grand Funk Railroad. Crosby, Stills & Nash at Mile High Stadium in Denver. Saw Jimmy Buffet under the stars in Aspen. Carlos Santana in Lake Tahoe. Sting, The Eagles and Tom Petty at the Shoreline Amphitheater in N. CA. The Rolling Stones (twice). I'm sure there are many more I've forgotten. Good times. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
Good stuff...the doors..now there's the snake..others, Stevie W, MJ, Stewart, Petty, Genesis, Smashn Pumpkins, Counting Crows, Coldplay, Collective Soul...