Red/Blue TV - Comments

Now I know some of you don't watch much TV, but for us normal folks, here is an interesting quote from http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/the-reign-o...rimetime--1740. Comments, folks????

According to months of data from leading media-research company Experian Simmons, viewers who vote Republican and identify themselves as conservative are more likely than Democrats to love the biggest hits on TV. Of the top 10 broadcast shows on TV in the spring, nine were ranked more favorably by viewers who identify themselves as Republican.

Liberals appreciate many of the same shows, mind you. But their devotion typically is not quite as strong as right-wingers, and Dems are more likely to prefer modestly rated titles.

So, what have we learned today?

We've learned Republicans like winners. The shows might be considered fluffy, but they're generally programs that make people feel good. If you're a broadcast network executive weighing whether to buy a show, you might ask your uncle who voted twice for George W. Bush if he likes the idea. We've learned Democrats are, depending on your perspective, discriminating viewers who prefer highly original, well-written series or are cynics who enjoy watching jerks. We've learned "Sarah Palin's Alaska" has the ingredients to be a hit, and one shouldn't confuse TLC for being Republican just because its friends are.

Finally, we've learned that all this brain-baking data can only tell you so much.

Because it is still possible for a scripted broadcast series to rank higher among Democrats than Republicans on Experian's index.

It's even possible for that same program to top the Nielsen ratings week after week.

Particularly if that show is "Glee."
Charles, you have way to much free time on your hands.
Charles, you have way to much free time on your hands. Originally Posted by John Bull

Yeah, I know and admit it. If I had more $$$, there would be less time. But then I'd get far more potshots sent my direction on this board (if that's possible).
Interesting. I like about the same number of shows on each list. Hmm! I must be a Libertarian.
Interesting. I like about the same number of shows on each list. Hmm! I must be a Libertarian. Originally Posted by pjorourke
"Schizophrenic" is probably a better description.
  • WTF
  • 11-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Damn, only shows I like on either list is The Big Bang and 2 1/2 Men
  • oden
  • 11-12-2010, 07:59 PM
What, no Fringe- I must be in an alternate universe!