Credit Cards for Canada?

I spend more time and money in Canada than I know is good for me. I like to pay for everything I possibly can there with plastic. Especially since our money is worth less than theirs now and they are just having way too much fun sticking it to us on the exchange rate. Recently HSBC started charging foreign transaction fees on every purchase. M&T do the same. The only fee free card I’ve found is Capital One, but it’s just sooo ghetto. But I applied for one anyway. Anyone know of any other alternatives?
I also use Capital One when I go to Canada, Europe and Asia precisely because it is the only major credit card that does not have a foreign currency surcharge (typically 3%).

With HSBC, if you have a "Premier" account (requiring a six-figure total balance), they will also waive that fee.
Thanks, Jack. I'm afraid you are right. Did you notice Ginger won't take American money anymore? LOL
Did you notice Ginger won't take American money anymore. LOL Originally Posted by jokacz
I might be her last straw. I paid her in US$ the last time (when her website still listed both currencies at par), and she didn't like it.
I might be her last straw. I paid her in US$ the last time (when her website still listed both currencies at par), and she didn't like it. Originally Posted by jackfengshui
Well, she does work on a pretty tight margin.
BTW, one thing I like about Capital One is that they are very careful with suspicious charges in strange places, but others might find it a nuisance. So if you travel to another country (with the exception of NF and Toronto), you should always let them know your itinerary before leaving. Otherwise, your charge in a far-away place might be denied. It happened to me in Vancouver. I had to call to get the charge through.
I guess they've come a long way since selling cash secured credit cards to poor folk.
today 1 US to .98 Canada. Seem like a headache over what 10. She will not take a extra 10 or 20 in US. Bad move on her part I would think. Thinking if you need the 10. Many would give 20.
The Holiday Inn "Priority Club" credit card has no foreign currency transaction fees. If you sign up they waive the first years fee of $49 and you get quite a few priority hotel points that you can use for up to 4 free nights for those (ahem) special meetings!

Remember to join the Holiday Inn Priority Club rewards program if you do sign up for the card. The Holiday Inn Express hotels are now quite good and on a par with Hampton Inns and Courtyard hotels.

Here is the credit card application link:

http://www.mychasecreditcards.com/ih...RVisaAnonymous

Kathmandu
  • GP
  • 02-25-2011, 02:25 PM
With HSBC, if you have a "Premier" account (requiring a six-figure total balance), they will also waive that fee. Originally Posted by jackfengshui
I assume you have about 10 of these accounts Jack

On a serious note, I am surprised more providers have not signed up for the credit card scanners for their smart phones. Nowadays, even average Joe Citizen can get one.
today 1 US to .98 Canada. Seem like a headache over what 10. She will not take a extra 10 or 20 in US. Bad move on her part I would think. Thinking if you need the 10. Many would give 20. Originally Posted by offshoredrilling
To her credit she charges for a full hour what most agencies in Toronto get for a half hour. Plus she does offer incall (kinda unusual in the Falls) in upscale hotels in the Falls and Toronto. The Canadians have a right to a little revenge after the way we have been pissing on their money for all these years. Thanks for the tip, Kathmandu!
If the total legalization of prostitution in Ontario survives the current legal challenge, the day of providers accepting credit cards may not be far away.
  • GP
  • 02-25-2011, 04:03 PM
It could be done now. You don't have to be too specific on what the transaction is for.
Aren't some providers accepting PayPal now?
  • GP
  • 02-25-2011, 05:18 PM
yes