New Car Negotiations

• KCJoe
  • 09-28-2010, 11:00 AM
If I walk into a car dealership and want to buy a new car. What kind of discount off of sticker price should I shoot for?

Haven’t bought a new car for twenty years. Always thought used was the way to go, but right now the used car prices are so high that I’m thinking I might as well go new.

I’m paying cash and if the salesman tried to push me into a lease, I think I’ll just walk out.
You can purchase the Consumer reports buying guide. Should be available at any book store. Edmonds. com also provides great information. One key thing, forget the sticker price. Good luck.
Just remember they have to report cash purchases to the FBI. Use a cashiers check. errr sorry this response was out of habit, I am sure you have nothing to hide. LOL
Just can't see taking that 20% hit on 1st year depreciation and then the sales taxes on new cars.

They actually don't like cash like before as they can't make money in loan referrals and all of the other add ons that allow for a profit.

I do a lot of research based on what I like and track it down used.

More car for the buck.
  • KCJoe
  • 09-28-2010, 11:44 AM
when i said cash, i meant i wasn't going to finance it. write a check. any cash i have usually ends up in strippers panty.
I understand your use of cash and it is probably a reason that I buy used. Too many boob jobs.
  • KCJoe
  • 09-28-2010, 12:02 PM
I have always bought used before, but right now the cost of a good used car is not that much less then a 2010 brand new with the 2011s out now. i'll look at used, but i'm considering new just because I haven't had a new car for so long.
When I used to go with my father when he was looking for a car he would go to a couple places and then tell them what kind of deals they were going to give him at other places.. Usually they would try to out do the other place so they would make the sale. He also told them he wanted a full tank of gas. He said hey im spending thousands of dollars the least you could do is spend $40 and fill the gas tank.... When I went to buy my car I tried that and it worked.
Always make your offer at the end of the month, if not the end of a quarter - they have quotas to meet. Go at a time when they are not busy. Make sure you find the same car at leat 1 other lot and let the salesperson know that. Go in with the price you are willing to pay (research what deals others are getting - tons of resources on the net). Since you are not financing, wave your checkbook and let them know you are ready to buy today/tonight if they meet your price. Using these methods, I have alway gotten away with invoice and sometimes even below. Good luck!
pm me with more info might be able to help
When I've bought vehicles without financing, my tactic has been to look up the actual dealer cost for the vehicle (usually available from Consumer Reports), add about 7% so the dealer makes a profit--because if he doesn't, I don't have anywhere to buy a car--then walk in and say, "I'll write you a check for this much today. Take it or leave it." If there's any attempt at negotiation I go to another dealer.
  • KCJoe
  • 09-29-2010, 09:59 AM
most of the time it's hard to compare apples to oranges. cars in the lot never seem to have the same options as what i've looked at on the internet. i'd just like to be able to look at a sticker and say bottom dollar, 90% of sticker price, 95%? last time i talked to a salesman, i pointed to the sticker and asked, "What will I have to write a check for to leave with this car?" he told me that in addition to the sticker price, there was a $200 paperwork charge. didn't give any indication that the car could be bought for less.
I think all of this is going to depend on the car and model you choose. Some are better sellers than others and may not have the discounts available etc. The 2010's are. going to be cheaper than the 2011's etc.

Also going to depend a lot on the options you want and choose.

I don't think there is a blanket discount that can be applied to the purchase.

I have let dealers know that if they need 1 for the quota to let me know what they have and might do. Worked once for me.
Last time I bought a car, I cut out a newspaper ad from another dealer...the 'bait car' ad, where the price is greatly reduced, but the car has zero options.

I went in to a dealer and told them I was on my way to the other place, but I decided to stop at their place real quick, to see if they could match the bait car price. They couldn't of course, but they ended up knocking off alot for the options...I kept saying 'I don't want cruise control' for example, but all the cars had cruise control...and I would say 'well I'll just go to the other place' and they would say 'no charge' for cruise control.

I also did go on a drizzly day, after several days of lousy weather, to make sure they were good and hungry.

Also, you have no negotiating position, unless you really are prepared to walk away from the deal. Several days before I made my last purchase, I did walk away. We had agreed upon a price, and then when we started signing papers, the 'undercoating' items started getting added on. I said nope, and walked away. You have to be able to do that, no matter what.

One last thing - don't let them know that they have no chance of hooking you for the financing. It changes their negotiating attitude.
KCJoe, I think it would help out if you let us know what make and model you are interested in purchasing. That may allow us to help you further.