European Pheasant Shoot

• RGB93
  • 04-01-2013, 05:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lbq-QGdp04

Its neat to watch how the dog's work at their job.
Absolutely, I went on a bird shoot in Argentina and the dogs were half the fun. Very well trained animals.
I grew up hunting all kinds of game with dogs. Squirrel, Rabbit, Deer, Ducks and Upland Birds. One of the coolest things I've ever seen was at pen raised quail, chucker, pheasant hunt in Uvalde. They bred dogs and trained other peoples dogs along with running great bird hunts.
This one time they had a twelve week old male German Shorthair puppy who had never been out before. They put him out with two of the more mature dogs in the group just to see what he would do. He was on the ground maybe two minutes directly in front of me and points on a bird. The guide saw him pointing and walked over and kicked the bird up. I shot the bird and the puppy went and got it and brought it back and dropped it at my feet.
I was impressed as hell and looked at the guide and he must have seen it on my face. He says "Don't be too impressed, in about 6 more weeks he'll be as dumb as a stump and it will take 4 months of training before he'll do that again."
I went on a canned hunt at Greystone Castle near Eastman, TX and the dogs were wild to be let out of their cages to hunt and would seemingly have hunted until they dropped dead; they had to be forced back into their cages when they were replaced so they could rest. I think working the canned hunt repeatedly taught the dogs just where to go to find the birds - it was really an artificial experience, like taking your shotgun into a meat market and blazing away at the counter. For me, canned hunts bleaux. But a hunting dog at work is an incredible thing; a war dog at work is even moreso.
Big Whoop. Give me a good Texas Black Lab, diving for a duck 250 yards from the blind, following the directions of her master and bringing back the bird.
I had a dog once that could tell you exactly how many birds were in the cover.
Showed a guy that wanted to buy him how he worked. First place the dog went on point and then wagged his tail three times and when they flushed it was exactly three birds. The man said it was just coincidence. Second pointy and he wagged his tail four times and sure enough there were four birds. The man started to believe but was still doubtful. The next cover we came upon the dog picked up a stick, started dry humping the air and shaking his head vigorously. The man said what in the hell is wrong with that dog. I told him you just need to know how to read him, he is telling you there is more birds in that cover than you can shake a fucking stick at.
Showed a guy that wanted to buy him how he worked. First place the dog went on point and then wagged his tail three times and when they flushed it was exactly three birds. The man said it was just coincidence. Second pointy and he wagged his tail four times and sure enough there were four birds. The man started to believe but was still doubtful. The next cover we came upon the dog picked up a stick, started dry humping the air and shaking his head vigorously. The man said what in the hell is wrong with that dog. I told him you just need to know how to read him, he is telling you there is more birds in that cover than you can shake a fucking stick at. Originally Posted by The2Dogs

Showed a guy that wanted to buy him how he worked. First place the dog went on point and then wagged his tail three times and when they flushed it was exactly three birds. The man said it was just coincidence. Second pointy and he wagged his tail four times and sure enough there were four birds. The man started to believe but was still doubtful. The next cover we came upon the dog picked up a stick, started dry humping the air and shaking his head vigorously. The man said what in the hell is wrong with that dog. I told him you just need to know how to read him, he is telling you there is more birds in that cover than you can shake a fucking stick at. Originally Posted by The2Dogs
LOL