The Pecking Order

(Mods: This topic could generate insight. It could be angry.
If you feel that the insight-to-anger ratio is likely to be lousy, please close it.)

Wikipedia has a short article on pecking order and a longer article on dominance hierarchy. The first article says, "...(the) functions of a pecking order are to reduce the costs of time, energy and risk of injury incurred during resource acquisition and defence."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pecking_order
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominance_hierarchy

Social animals, like us peeps, usually have several pecking orders.

What are the pecking orders here?

How were they established? How are they maintained?

What do you think of them?

NSFW Note: The Wikipedia page for pecking order has a picture of tortoises fcuking.
Pecking order hmm interesting

RAZOR BLADES!!!
Peckers? Why do you want to start a thread about peckers?
(Mods: This topic could generate insight. It could be angry.
If you feel that the insight-to-anger ratio is likely to be lousy, please close it.) Originally Posted by johnnytx39

Close it? Nah, that's no fun.

sixx
A couple of providers have agreed with me when I mentioned that this board strongly resembles the primate house at the zoo. I guess these primate societies tend to have some sort of dominance for both the males and the females.

Perhaps we can identify who is the Silverback male here trying to keep control of his harem. Who is his juvenile "enforcer" sidekick? Who is the dominant female currently in heat?
While there may be some sort of pecking order, I believe there are too many "non-aligned" people that either lurk or post only when they feel the need to ensure dominance is only in the mind of the beholder. It is up to each individual to be as involved as they want. No one can truly establish hegemony when all have the right to ignore that person.

I have ignored plenty of post and lots of theads either due to lack of interest or not wanting to get wrapped up in other's conversations (or arguments or personal attacks or character defamations...). I read and respond to what I like. I take what I read with a grain of salt. Half the time I don't even notice who is writing!
Annika and sixx, thanks. I hope it will be interesting

Peckers? Why do you want to start a thread about peckers? Originally Posted by Whispers
To find out why they peck.

A couple of providers have agreed with me when I mentioned that this board strongly resembles the primate house at the zoo. I guess these primate societies tend to have some sort of dominance for both the males and the females. Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
The reason for a pecking order in a primate house is clear. What's the reason here?

While there may be some sort of pecking order, I believe there are too many "non-aligned" people that either lurk or post only when they feel the need to ensure dominance is only in the mind of the beholder. It is up to each individual to be as involved as they want. No one can truly establish hegemony when all have the right to ignore that person. Originally Posted by FS_ITC
I agree that participation in the pecking orders is optional. Why do those who do it, do it?
  • Toyz
  • 05-04-2014, 05:58 AM
You have our orders, make us proud...

This place doesn't have a pecking order. It's more like a bowl of granola... what ain't a nut or a fruit is a flake!
....floating in a white, creamy, liquid.
  • Toyz
  • 05-04-2014, 06:26 AM
A couple of providers have agreed with me when I mentioned that this board strongly resembles the primate house at the zoo. I guess these primate societies tend to have some sort of dominance for both the males and the females.

Perhaps we can identify who is the Silverback male here trying to keep control of his harem. Who is his juvenile "enforcer" sidekick? Who is the dominant female currently in heat? Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
I see it as more akin to a grade school playground. You have your funny kids, your flirty one, the kids that hide in the corner, the noisy ones, the smart one...don't forget the sad ones, the playground bully & his minions, the cute girl all the boys fawn over who got her boobies at 11...

And the MODS are the teachers, coming in occasionally to break us up or bring fruit cups & milk...
there's fruit cups? Why didn't I know that before? Where do you find the fruit cups?
  • Toyz
  • 05-04-2014, 04:09 PM
there's fruit cups? Why didn't I know that before? Where do you find the fruit cups? Originally Posted by BugleBoy
The MODS control the fruit cups...evil bastards that they are...its how they keep us at bay, by awarding or restricting fruit cups...
I see it as more akin to a grade school playground. You have your funny kids, your flirty one, the kids that hide in the corner, the noisy ones, the smart one...don't forget the sad ones, the playground bully & his minions, the cute girl all the boys fawn over who got her boobies at 11... Originally Posted by Toyz
Great analogy Toyz. As a prolific poster here, how do you characterize your role on this playground?
  • Toyz
  • 05-04-2014, 09:03 PM
Great analogy Toyz. As a prolific poster here, how do you characterize your role on this playground? Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
Me?!?! I'm the peacemaker. Never making waves just trying to help everyone just get along...

How about you?