Super Bowl Ads

I do however have a lot of renewed respect for The Who.

B. Originally Posted by Bella_HHD
I have a friend whose wedding recessional was a church organ rendition of "Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog." It was as nice or nicer than any other recessional I ever heard.
I have a friend whose wedding recessional was a church organ rendition of "Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog." It was as nice or nicer than any other recessional I ever heard. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
Wasn't JWB a Three Dog Night tune?
Wasn't JWB a Three Dog Night tune? Originally Posted by pjorourke
Yep. My bad. Age.....If it's not alzheimers, it's at least halfheimers.
Wasn't JWB a Three Dog Night tune? Originally Posted by pjorourke
Actually, it was CCR who made it a hit.
I like the one where the little kid bitch slapped his mother’s suitor. [/url] Originally Posted by OliviaHoward
I liked this & the Betty White (Snickers, I think) one (which I think one the annual USA Today rankings/heard on radio haven't confirmed). That said I'm not going to go out and buy (more) Doritos (contrast with below)

Lynette, I also have to disagree somewhat on the Dove commercial. http://www.hulu.com/watch/126537

Yes, the guys are portrayed as a bit weak. But I thought it was a great media buy. Dove is a strong female brand that they are repurposing for men. The audience demographics are ideal. The guys aren't going to buy this stuff, but the wives/girl friends will. The ad makes it okay for the guys (i.e., the non metrosexual ones) to use it when they do, because they saw it during the SB -- which by definition is "manly". Originally Posted by pjorourke
Yes very effective media buy. For the reasons you mentioned (I'll leave it at that, instead of adding my own white paper of men's beauty products), but importantly it actually introduced a new (or recent) product line.

All in all I was disappointed with the whole crop of commercials, . Originally Posted by Bella_HHD
Yep!

Just my bratty two cents but I don't know of any woman or man who uses Dove. Originally Posted by LynetteMarie
There a millions of them. They shop at WalMart & Target

I've always liked the Who, but I thought they sounded "smaller than life". Maybe I just expected too much of a fellow 60ish geezer.

. Originally Posted by pjorourke
Yeah I was underwhelmed. The best line I heard today was, "Pete Townhsend's pasty belly flashing on screen was much worse that the Janet Jackson wardrode malfunction"

Speaking of pasty skin, the "no pants" commercial was a little disturbing.

What about the most talked about ad pre-Superbowl, the "Tebow Ad" -- much milder than I thought it would be. I think a lot of the detractors seem a little silly for all the yapping they did about it.
Actually, it was CCR who made it a hit. Originally Posted by Rudyard K
Really?

I always thought it 3DN ... learn something new every day.

And I'll tell ya who doesn't have Alzheimer's - The Who. Really, I could've taken them or left them for the pas 30+ years, but their performance blew me off the couch.
What about the most talked about ad pre-Superbowl, the "Tebow Ad" -- much milder than I thought it would be. I think a lot of the detractors seem a little silly for all the yapping they did about it. Originally Posted by atlcomedy
Now there is a shock that nobody would have seen coming.
Actually, it was CCR who made it a hit. Originally Posted by Rudyard K
Side bet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joy_to_..._Axton_song%29
I like the one where the little kid bitch slapped his mother’s suitor. “Keep you hands off my mama, and keep your hands outta my Doritos.” Or something to that effect.
http://superbowlads.fanhouse.com/201...tos-play-nice/ Originally Posted by OliviaHoward
the superbowl ads were very weak in my opinion. the doritos one, when it played, i turned to some friends and said that i thought it was terrible....

my reaction to it was that it was reinforcing sterotypes our society doesnt need reinforcing and so it was the worst of the lot....it intimated that another street wise fatherless black kid was sassy beyond his years and another unmarried black mother had one more boy friend of the month who was soon to father another soon to be fatherless kid...why couldnt there just be a wholesome black mom and dad and child thing? maybe its just me but i think doritos blew it big time
Betty White and the Doritos dog collar (I need one of those for sessions...hee hee hee).

Fail year for Bud.
Oh yeah...I think it's funny. Today I'm seeing all kinds of "winning" and championship type commercials with Peyton - not so many w/Brees. Bet ad companies are kicking themselves since his fee doubled yesterday. lol.

my reaction to it was that it was reinforcing sterotypes our society doesnt need reinforcing and so it was the worst of the lot....it intimated that another street wise fatherless black kid was sassy beyond his years and another unmarried black mother had one more boy friend of the month who was soon to father another soon to be fatherless kid...why couldnt there just be a wholesome black mom and dad and child thing? maybe its just me but i think doritos blew it big time Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought
I didn't put quite as much thought into the ad as you did. To me it doesn't matter if they were back or white. Why show any child slapping an adult?
I didn't put quite as much thought into the ad as you did. To me it doesn't matter if they were back or white. Why show any child slapping an adult? Originally Posted by Ansley
you're right , it shouldnt matter..but doritos picked a black kid and black guy and in our imperfect world..i think it matters even more than if it had been a bratty white kid
The first classic one from super bowls; i think it started it all.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8"]YouTube- 1984 Apple's Macintosh Commercial[/ame]
the superbowl ads were very weak in my opinion. the doritos one, when it played, i turned to some friends and said that i thought it was terrible....

my reaction to it was that it was reinforcing sterotypes our society doesnt need reinforcing and so it was the worst of the lot....it intimated that another street wise fatherless black kid was sassy beyond his years and another unmarried black mother had one more boy friend of the month who was soon to father another soon to be fatherless kid...why couldnt there just be a wholesome black mom and dad and child thing? maybe its just me but i think doritos blew it big time Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought
Really?

And here I just thought it was funny.