College Slashes Hours To Avoid Obamacare

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...void-Obamacare

Community College of Allegheny County, in Pennsylvania, is cutting instructor's hours to avoid paying for Obamacare benefits.

"On Tuesday, CCAC employees were notified that Obamacare defines full-time employees as those working 30 hours or more per week and that on Dec. 31 temporary part-time employees will be cut back to 25 hours. The move will save an estimated $6 million."

The "temporary, part-time employees" include adjunct faculty, support staff, and part-time instructors.

The college says their revenues have declined, because of reduced state support, and they can't afford the new expenditures required by Obamacare.
  • CJ7
  • 11-23-2012, 08:14 AM
part time kindercollege eh?

bet JD is worried ..
  • WTF
  • 11-23-2012, 08:22 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/11/21/Surprise-PA-College-Slashes-Hours-To-Avoid-Obamacare

Community College of Allegheny County, in Pennsylvania, is cutting instructor's hours to avoid paying for Obamacare benefits.

The college says their revenues have declined, because of reduced state support, and they can't afford the new expenditures required by Obamacare. Originally Posted by Sidewinder
Let's see....reduced state support and the article (and you) claims it is ObamaCare's fault.
part time kindercollege eh?

bet JD is worried .. Originally Posted by CJ7
God that would be poetic justice!
The reduced state support for higher education is a problem that has been ongoing for several years, in many places. (When I was at UT Austin in the early 1970s, the government (Federal and State) paid about 95% of the actual costs of running the University. When I was doing refresher work in 2003-2004, government was paying about 2/3 of the costs.

In the case at hand, the Pennsylvania college had the existing costs managed. They'd already made the necessary cutbacks and adjustments. The Obamacare mandate was going to stick them with significant cost increases, starting on New Years Day, costs that they just plain couldn't cover.
  • CJ7
  • 11-23-2012, 01:31 PM
doesnt the mandatory insurance requirement start date begin in 014?

The college says their revenues have declined, because of reduced state support... Originally Posted by Sidewinder
Another worthwhile story from DEADBart. Sounds like the "college" where Barleybrains "teaches".

No big deal, Sidewinder, WAL-MART has been cutting hours so their employees would qualify for government aid for years! In some states as much as 43% of the Wal-Mart workforce makes so little money they qualify for federal and state assistance! They've got the "free-market" trolls here convinced that our subsidizing THEIR workforce with tax dollars is the Free Market at its best! Yeah, BEST for WAL-MART! LMAO!
  • Doove
  • 11-23-2012, 04:20 PM
The Obamacare mandate was going to stick them with significant cost increases, starting on New Years Day, costs that they just plain couldn't cover. Originally Posted by Sidewinder
New Year's Day 2014. I smell a rat.
  • CJOHN
  • 11-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Another worthwhile story from DEADBart. Sounds like the "college" where Barleybrains "teaches".

No big deal, Sidewinder, WAL-MART has been cutting hours so their employees would qualify for government aid for years! In some states as much as 43% of the Wal-Mart workforce makes so little money they qualify for federal and state assistance! They've got the "free-market" trolls here convinced that our subsidizing THEIR workforce with tax dollars is the Free Market at its best! Yeah, BEST for WAL-MART! LMAO!
Originally Posted by Little Stevie
DON'T FUCKING LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY .... FUCKER
DON'T FUCKING LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY .... FUCKER Originally Posted by CJOHN
You should get rid off whatever pipe tobacco you're smoking, Dude. It's fucking up your mind and some of whatever it was might have spilled on your CAPS LOCK KEY! Is your keyboard stuck from that or something else? Did you follow your GPS to the wrong thread? LMAO!
  • CJOHN
  • 11-23-2012, 05:35 PM
You should get rid off whatever pipe tobacco you're smoking, Dude. It's fucking up your mind and some of whatever it was might have spilled on your CAPS LOCK KEY! Is your keyboard stuck from that or something else? Did you follow your GPS to the wrong thread? LMAO! Originally Posted by Little Stevie

Dude, not smoking anything good here. What fucking with my short term memory is the fucking drug you fuck drug me with. Trying to erase what you fuck did from my memory. Fuck, it not happening. Why you smoking some of you mom pubic hair right now? HA HA HA
Although this is a chickenshit move by the college, why is this a problem from a public policy standpoint. These individuals will still be required to get health insurance. If they can afford it, it comes out of their pocket. If not, it's partially subsidized. But in either event, it merely shifts the cost of their insurance from one entity yo another if they are already insured. If they are not already insured, It takes their health care burden off of tax payer and employers like me who already purchase health insurance for their employees.

And, if the reduction in hours results in below market wages, the employees will simply find work with another employer who fully values their services.
  • CJ7
  • 11-23-2012, 06:28 PM
the article states Dec 31st ... the law goes into full effect in 2014, not 2013 as they want you to believe

the current hourly rate that determines part time or full time is 32
the Obiecare law lowered the cutoff to 30 hours

the article said the school set their timeline at 25 hours to keep costs down ... fine .. but they could have lowered the timeline to 29 hours, avoided the law and done 4 hours less damage to their staff ... seems the biger slash was done by the school and not the law ..

typical Beerfart article IMO.
  • Doove
  • 11-24-2012, 09:06 AM
the current hourly rate that determines part time or full time is 32
the Obiecare law lowered the cutoff to 30 hours Originally Posted by CJ7
Pure conjecture on my part but....

I'm willing to bet the employees in question already had their hours limited to less than 32 hours so the college could dodge paying their health care (on the assumption the college already pays health care for the full time staff).

And if that's the case, then like you say, dropping their hours to 25 rather than 29 says more about the college than it does about the health care law.