google cache

Im asking this so that what recently happened to me doesn't happen to anyone else providers and gents alike i know a few sites that i am on doesn't allow google cache, and was wondering if any thing could be done about it here even if it means us as providers having to pay a few extra bucks i know i would be willing to help out and i would like to think so would many of the other girls and guys this is our hobby and im sure many guys and girls have been busted but if there is a way to prevent just that then i'm all for it

any thoughts or opinions are welcome
1. do u care if everything u post can be googled
2. not concerned
3. would u be willing to pay a little extra for the privacy
I'm with you keep it private xoxochelsea
As far as I know: Everything and I do mean everything, that a person posts on the internet can be found in some way. It is permanently recorded and can never be completely deleted.

However, I am not totally computer savvy and have alot of help with PC stuff but this is what I heard from a PC savvy source. I say just be very careful with what you put online- including pictures, etc. It is the reason I do not have a facebook, myspace and other stuff too.

Just MHO.

KKA
  • Mokoa
  • 05-23-2010, 02:07 PM
When posting information on the Internet remember this saying...

You cannot "unring" the bell.
There should be a way for this board to keep out the search engine bots from Google, Yahoo, etc. I don't know how its done from a technical standpoint but several other boards seem to be able to do so.
It is more dependent on the file/directory structure of the website. Google recognizes Allow & Disallow statements in the site's robot.txt file. These can be used to disallow crawling (which is how google builds it's index) of file types, specific directories, domains, ect. It even allows the use of wildcards if the file naming convention is consistant enough to position it for a uniform ignore by the crawling bots. The only cost involved is the time for the webmaster to figure it out and implement it. It is a one time effort, not an ongoing maintentance issue unless the file/directory structures or naming conventions change. Also remember, once it is indexed by Google, it is there to stay. When it Disallow is implemented, it should block future updates and additions.
The owners could block Google and other legit search engines from indexing the site in a few hours of work. However, Google drives traffic and new members to the site, so there IS a downside to blocking Google.

It's possible to tell Google and other legit search engines to index the site, but NOT to display a cache of old pages. This would be a good idea, IMHO. That way when personal information is removed from the site, you can't just go to Google and pull it out of the cache.

There can also be rogue search engines that ignore sites' "no robots" directives. I don't know how easy it is to find such a search engine.