Your tax dollars at work, even if the people who receive them won't

Hosts on a KLBJ radio station in Austin, Tx, had been talking about how accustomed people have become when it comes to welfare. Expressing the fact that some people would rather sit around and wait for their free check in the mail than go to work, got at least one listener upset. The listener called in to say that she would always be on welfare, and that everyone else is an idiot for doing otherwise.

Host: “Are you talking on an Obama phone as well?”

Lucy: “Yeah, I get an Obama phone.”

The woman, who identified herself as “Lucy,” offers a different standpoint on the situation. Lucy then begins to describe why she is on welfare, and why she will never work.

The 32 year old woman lists all the support she receives, totaling over $1200 a month, and also informs the hosts that her husband also receives financial assistance but designates these funds as, “for the family.”

Lucy: “Well, I only pay $50 a month for rent. It’s supposed to be $600 something, so there’s $550 right there. I get $425 a month for food stamps. I get $150 month to pay my electric bill. I get a cell phone and then I get $100 a month paid towards for water.”

Host: “Do you have any kids, Lucy?”

Lucy: “I have three kids.”

Host: “Does your husband work?”

Lucy: “He’ll work every now and then. Part time. But he doesn’t work very much. He doesn’t feel the need for it.”

Host: “Does he get benefits as well?”

Lucy: “Yeah. Those are family benefits.”

She expresses disgust in the inference that people who work are “good people” and insists that she is a good person even though she is on welfare. Lucy then describes her day of lying around and smoking weed.

Lucy: “I just want to say while workers out there are people like you that are preaching morality at people like me living on welfare, can you really blame us? I mean, I get to sit home, I get to go visit my friends all day, I even get to smoke weed.”

After being asked, Lucy tells the hosts that she expects to be on welfare for the rest of her life.

Lucy argues that if the radio hosts were offered one million dollars they would take it too saying that over the span of her life, she expects to have received at least that much from welfare.

Lucy: “But you know, if somebody offered you a million dollars, no strings attached, would you walk away from it?”

One of the hosts then asks Lucy if she viewed the working class as idiots because we go to work instead of staying home and reaping the benefits that have been paid by those working. Lucy sadly replied that she did think working was foolish declaring that even though she doesn’t work, she’s still going to get paid.

You can read the whole article here:

http://mrconservative.com/2013/12/28...e-off-welfare/
As human beings and not animals, we're supposed to show compassion. Not much you can do when people take advantage of it.

Sometimes the wildebeest deserves to be eaten.
It's the "system". Many of those on welfare (or what ever program you want to call it) become enslaved and dependent on it.
Maybe one of the politcal parties is counting on that dependancy to generate votes.
  • hd
  • 12-18-2014, 08:54 AM
Maybe one of the politcal parties is counting on that dependancy to generate votes
Bingo!
I am for a drug test for any one collecting welfare. The number that will be denied welfare should pay for the tests.
  • EZ.
  • 01-17-2015, 06:51 AM
I was at the Social Security Administration office on Thursday. I was standing, no place to sit, behind these two kiosks, where you sign in. They give you a choice of languages, English, Spanish or Vietnamese. I stood there maybe an hour and watched one after another select Spanish, then "don't know" for Social Security number then SSI for the reason why they were there.
For me, one of my BIGGEST pet peeves are providers on welfare/foodstamps/medicaid. I'm a fairly marginal lady-- I don't make a TON of money compared to many in this business... but I still make WAY over the limit for any type of government program. And I believe you'd be hard pressed to find a lady in this business who doesn't at least make enough to not be on the dole.

But-- so many ladies lie about their income, don't claim taxes, get food stamps/medicaid/housing and see nothing wrong with ripping off the American taxpayer. I don't get this.... I provide so that I WONT be on the dole.
EZ, I bet the next time you go you will have the choice of 'Arabic' to
  • EZ.
  • 01-17-2015, 08:11 AM
EZ, I bet the next time you go you will have the choice of 'Arabic' to Originally Posted by Kinky Boy
Yep, they were there in their pajamas. It is against the law for public schools to ask for a birth certificate. I guess it works the same way for SSI and illegals.
Yes, they are buying votes making people dependent on the government. Thanks to Ted Kennedy, our immigration policy prefers a taxi cab driver from Pakistan to a PhD chemist from Italy.
There are some people who really need it. Those people usually are embarrassed to be on it and they do everything in their power to stay off of it.

It's these career welfare people that are able to work but instead work the system that are problem.
I am for a drug test for any one collecting welfare. The number that will be denied welfare should pay for the tests. Originally Posted by tucson
Agree and I will add to that: if you are not a disabled unemployable, elderly with no skills to work, you work. Illegals should be deported unless visad on quest worker status but no bennies- no kids in school. No health care- employers take that responsibility- not taxpayers. Such policies will open up jobs for those who are couch potatoes. and cut our taxes.
For me, one of my BIGGEST pet peeves are providers on welfare/foodstamps/medicaid. I'm a fairly marginal lady-- I don't make a TON of money compared to many in this business... but I still make WAY over the limit for any type of government program. And I believe you'd be hard pressed to find a lady in this business who doesn't at least make enough to not be on the dole.

But-- so many ladies lie about their income, don't claim taxes, get food stamps/medicaid/housing and see nothing wrong with ripping off the American taxpayer. I don't get this.... I provide so that I WONT be on the dole. Originally Posted by GracePreston
I have always respected you Grace. You are an American proud and strong. I am ashamed that the Hippy generation has changed our culture, and sad that my efforts to stop it failed. Too old now with no podium, I just get sadder. Pray for a Leader who can turn this tidal wave. For the sake of my offspring. God, please care for them. I cannot.
  • EZ.
  • 01-17-2015, 08:10 PM
According to an article, I read in the Wall Street Journal, 40% of the new jobs last year were subsistence jobs (temporary, food service and retail). If someone takes a job at Walmart, it is going to be difficult to survive without some form of government assistance. It might just be food stamps or it might be section 8 housing. As tax payers, we are subsidizing Walmart because they couldn't afford to work there without the government assistance. Why work and starve at the same time?
Agree and I will add to that: if you are not a disabled unemployable, elderly with no skills to work, you work. Illegals should be deported unless visad on quest worker status but no bennies- no kids in school. No health care- employers take that responsibility- not taxpayers. Such policies will open up jobs for those who are couch potatoes. and cut our taxes. Originally Posted by doug_dfw

But the couch potatoes roots are deeply rooted in the couch cushions, that is the problem.
I have always respected you Grace. You are an American proud and strong. I am ashamed that the Hippy generation has changed our culture, and sad that my efforts to stop it failed. Too old now with no podium, I just get sadder. Pray for a Leader who can turn this tidal wave. For the sake of my offspring. God, please care for them. I cannot. Originally Posted by doug_dfw
Would you be shocked to learn that for the most part, I'm a Liberal? I believe in feeding the hungry, housing the homeless, caring for the sick, etc. However, I am not a fan of defrauding the government, because you aren't just defrauding the government, you are defrauding each and every person who is following the rules and doing their part.

I'm not against welfare... I'm against welfare fraud. There are many who sincerely need it.. but there are many who do not.