Pete and the hall

• R.M.
  • 10-26-2015, 08:51 PM
I think he should be in.
yes he should. he broke Ty Cobb's total hits record and came close to the "unbreakable" record of consecutive hits by DiMaggio.

and this poll should be in the Sandbox. ijs.
Pete and the hall Originally Posted by R.M.
Absolutely
No, not at all.
He signed an agreement that keeps him out of the hall
The Hall of Fame should have a wing for the Hall of Shame.
Pete and all those steroid using, corked bat, sandpaper emery boards, gentlemen should have their place.
This idea that he is banned from all of baseball including the Hall does a disservice to the accomplishments he had as a player. It should also be included that he violated the rules by betting on the game and that he was banned for it. To not have him in the Hall of Fame is akin to leaving out the Emancipation Proclamation from history books.
So many other did so much worse and they have their shot. Maybe a fan vote or a media vote with a super majority to put Rose back in.
Rose will get in before any of the juicers will.
Fuck that low-life piece of shit with Sammy Sosa's corked bat!
Rose is a douche. But, Charlie Hustle? How can you not dig it?
You know what I think..........

B-O-Z-O
Rose will get in before any of the juicers will. Originally Posted by JCM800
as well he should. while there were steroids back in Rose's day, (just ask Arnold about that) they didn't even test for it back then. Rose was always a stocky husky type guy but he never did weight training as it was not popular in baseball in those days.

contrast that with Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire. the arms on those guys were huge. those guys had arms on them that NFL linebackers and even some bodybuilders could appreciate.

"McGwire's performance in the Hall of Fame voting has experienced a regressive trend, however, since first becoming eligible in 2007. For election a player needs to be listed on 75% of ballots cast; falling under 5% removes a player from future consideration. Between 2007 and 2010 McGwire's performance held steady, receiving 128 votes (23.5%) in 2007, 128 votes (23.6%) in 2008, 118 votes (21.9%) in 2009, and 128 votes (23.7%) in 2010. The subsequent ballot in 2011 showed the first sub-20% total of 115 votes (19.8%). While McGwire's total has not reversed trend (112 votes (19.5%) in 2012, 96 votes (16.9%) in 2013, 63 votes (11.0%) in 2014, and 55 votes (10.0%) in 2015), he has continued to receive sufficient support and will return for his final time on the 2016 ballot."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_McGwire

you need 75% for the baseball HOF. McGwire isn't even close. it's not his numbers as a slugger, it's the knowledge he juiced to get a lot of those numbers.

you take away Rose's gambling and his numbers make him a first ballot shoe-in.
He signed an agreement that keeps him out of the hall Originally Posted by BigLouie
as usual Louie you are wrong. Rose agreed only to a life time ban to baseball, obviously as a manager or coach as his playing days were over by then. the agreement he signed had nothing in it about the HOF. what did happen, is in 1991 the HOF decided not to consider players on the permanently ineligible list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Rose

"On August 24, 1989, Rose voluntarily accepted a permanent place on baseball's ineligible list.[21] Rose accepted that there was a factual reason for the ban; in return, Major League Baseball agreed to make no formal finding with regard to the gambling allegations. According to baseball's rules, Rose could apply for reinstatement in one year but Bart Giamatti said, "There is absolutely no deal for reinstatement. That is exactly what we did not agree to in terms of a fixed number of years." [22] Rose, with a 412–373 record, was replaced as Reds manager by Tommy Helms. Rose began therapy with a psychiatrist for treatment of a gambling addiction."

Hall of Fame eligibility

"On February 4, 1991, the Hall of Fame voted formally to exclude individuals on the permanently ineligible list from being inducted into the Hall of Fame by way of the Baseball Writers Association of America vote (though it was already an "unwritten" rule prior). Rose is the only living member of the ineligible list. Players who were not selected by the BBWAA could be considered by the Veterans Committee in the first year after they would have lost their place on the Baseball Writers' ballot. Under the Hall's rules, players may appear on the ballot for only fifteen years, beginning five years after they retire. Had he not been banned from baseball, Rose's name could have been on the writers' ballot beginning in 1992 and ending in 2006.[38] He would have been eligible for consideration by the Veterans Committee in 2007, but did not appear on the ballot.[39] In 2008 the Veterans Committee barred players and managers on the ineligible list from consideration.[40]"

that 1991 vote is also the reason shoeless Joe Jackson is not in the HOF. of course Jackson died some 40 years before this new rule and clearly the stigma of the Black sox scandal prevented him from being voted into the HOF during his lifetime.

i find it ironic that the team that "beat" the White Sox in the 1919 World Series was none other than the Cincinnati Reds, Rose's team for most of his career.

i think Rose should be in the HOF, first and foremost due to his accomplishments as a player. but also because he would never have agreed to a permanent ban if he knew it would affect his eligibility to the HOF, which happened 2 years later. he would have taken a ban of .. say 20 or 30 years had he known this new rule would happen. if it had been in place at the time he took his deal, he would have never agreed to a lifetime ban.

You know what I think..........

B-O-Z-O Originally Posted by TheDaliLama
I don't freaking know. If I had a vote, I'd be conflicted and I don't know how anybody that loves and follows baseball wouldn't.

The guy was a baseball god. But, he is a personally objectionable, self-admitted douchebage baseball gambler. And, he gambled while he played and coached....and even gambled on some games where he participated, if you believe some of what you read.

It would be easier if he came across as just a slightly likeable person in all of the "should Pete Rose be in the Hall of Fame" news stories. But, he doesn't....it's the greed-head autographed Pete Bat show.

He lacks any kind of class at all. But, he was one of the greatest baseball players of all time......He should be in.
I don't freaking know. If I had a vote, I'd be conflicted and I don't know how anybody that loves and follows baseball wouldn't.

The guy was a baseball god. But, he is a personally objectionable, self-admitted douchebage baseball gambler. And, he gambled while he played and coached....and even gambled on some games where he participated, if you believe some of what you read.

It would be easier if he came across as just a slightly likeable person in all of the "should Pete Rose be in the Hall of Fame" news stories. But, he doesn't....it's the greed-head autographed Pete Bat show.

He lacks any kind of class at all. But, he was one of the greatest baseball players of all time......He should be in. Originally Posted by timpage

Timmy, since you have me in your "Fabulous Five" list, in theory you'll never see this .. unless of course you temporarily take posters off your "list" just to see what they said .. come on, admit it! you do! so ..

You are a libtard FAGGOT

but you are right, as far as Rose's accomplishments on the field, he is one of the greatest who ever played.

is it just me or does this guy look like he's wearing lipstick??