Getting in trouble for posting public info?

I am seriously just wondering guys... but how in the world can anyone get in trouble here for posting things in the ML that is PUBLICLY posted on "that other place".

It's public. Anyone can read it, if they know where to go. It doesn't seem exactly fair, but I'm respectfully asking why?
Well, trying to be vague here but...

If we're talking about the same incident the problem is "that other place" is not real time. It's last update was before the recent incident even existed here, so it's not even shown there yet meaning this information still isn't publicly available that I can find.

If that makes any sense speaking in tongues lol. Hope we don't get spanked for talking about it
There is usually a couple of week lag before things turn up over there. If its current, its probably not there.
In short: YES.

It's against the rules HERE. What happens THERE isn't in our control.

So private information that is intended to be so, but happens to be posted publicly elsewhere is still considered private here. This applies to ROS, ML, PR and Infoshare, at a minimum.

#20 - The men and women of our board each have their respective private areas in which secure content is posted and a greater freedom of expression allowed. Each member is responsible for keeping the information in any of the private secure areas (Men's Lounge, Provider Powder Room, The Rest of the Story, posts which have been tagged as private) 100% restricted to the members who are intended to have access to that material. Revealing ANY content which was posted in one of the men's or women's private sections of the board will result in penalty, up to and including loss of your access to these areas. Full cooperation may result in a less severe penalty, and each violation will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Repeated infractions will impact the severity of punishment.
Well, trying to be vague here but...

If we're talking about the same incident the problem is "that other place" is not real time. It's last update was before the recent incident even existed here, so it's not even shown there yet meaning this information still isn't publicly available that I can find.

If that makes any sense speaking in tongues lol. Hope we don't get spanked for talking about it Originally Posted by mansfield
What he said.

Most of the issues, especially two notables in the last 10 days, aren't available anywhere else.
  • shlub
  • 07-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Kind of like statue of limitations on a copyright, but just a couple of weeks....?
In short: YES.

It's against the rules HERE. What happens THERE isn't in our control.

So private information that is intended to be so, but happens to be posted publicly elsewhere is still considered private here. This applies to ROS, ML, PR and Infoshare, at a minimum. Originally Posted by Duke of G
+1

Doesn't seem like a difficult concept to me.
There is usually a couple of week lag before things turn up over there. If its current, its probably not there. Originally Posted by pyramider
This. They get their spiders working about every month and a half. So any contention that "I read it on the other site" or "he/she could have read it on the other site" is almost always erroneous when the post was made earlier in the same day or a day or 2 before. As such, reliance on that erroneous assumption is an almost sure fire way to establish that other means were probably used to obtain access to the information in question. More importantly, as Duke says, the rules here are the only rules that matter HERE. Since we are all guests, I see nothing wrong with that.
  • 69er
  • 07-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Those of us who have been around a while, know that ECCIE is as watertight as a submarine with a screen door.

But... posting that you know the content of the private comments here, is just throwing salt into those wounds. So, feel free to salt ECCIE's wounds, but don't be surprised by the mini-vacation that you earn.
Yep Posting PRIVATE info gets you a Vacation...BUT outing someones RL info only gets you a Slap on the hand at most.So remember if it puts someone in danger or may have effects on their real life it s ok to post..But if its Private info that is Leaked around here like Beads at Mardi Gras.Then you better keep that info to your self.
Do you even know what was posted Texasquest?

Why the agenda?
Which instance you asking about boltfan?? Is more than one. Or are you just concerned about one in particular? Did I hit a nerve with you?? Sorry sometimes the truth hurts. It is what it is.
You seem to have an agenda, just wondering why.
Nope Bolt was started before that. Hers is just one example. As for private tags. Why bother? I have nothing to hide. And you know as well as everyone NOTHING is private here. That is a joke. My so called AGENDA as you call it is to ask why is something that is truly dangerous to someone's real life. Ie outing personal info. Is dealt with les severity than mentioning some so called private info from the ML. By your responses I take it you believe it is acceptable to post RL INFO. HOW would you like it if someone posted your real name, address, family members names, etc. I'm sure you would be yelling from the highest treetop for someone's head.
OK thanks Duke. I was just wondering.