November 5, 2019 Elections

Three significant elections were held yesterday:

1. In Kentucky, the incumbent Republican Governor, Matt Bevin, lost to Democrat Andy Beshear by a razor thin margin. Kentucky is a state Trump won by 30 percentage points in 2016. Trump, Pence and several other high-ranking Republicans visited Kentucky in support of Bevin. Trump said at the rally that a loss by Bevin would send "a really bad message". While it is true that Bevin was not well liked withing the state, this is a significant loss by Republicans.

2. In Misissippi, Republican Tate Reeves won election for the open Governor seat by about 5% over Democrat Jim Hood in a solid Republican state. Trump won the vote in Mississippi in 2016 by 18%. Former governor Bryant won by 34% in 2015.

3. In Virginia, Democrats took control of the Virginia House and Senate for the first time in nearly a generation. Since Virginia has been trending blue for the last several years, this is a significant Democratic victory for Democrats but not monumental.

What is meaningful is that the victories by Democrats were achieved by appealing to MODERATE voters. John Kasich pointed this out in an interview last night and the following link also states that point.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartanntp

1. In Kentucky, the incumbent Republican Governor, Matt Bevin, lost to Democrat Andy Beshear by a razor thin margin. Kentucky is a state Trump won by 30 percentage points in 2016. Trump, Pence and several other high-ranking Republicans visited Kentucky in support of Bevin. Trump said at the rally that a loss by Bevin would send "a really bad message". While it is true that Bevin was not well liked withing the state, this is a significant loss by Republicans.

2. In Misissippi, Republican Tate Reeves won election for the open Governor seat by about 5% over Democrat Jim Hood in a solid Republican state. Trump won the vote in Mississippi in 2016 by 18%. Former governor Bryant won by 34% in 2015.

3. In Virginia, Democrats took control of the Virginia House and Senate for the first time in nearly a generation. Since Virginia has been trending blue for the last several years, this is a significant Democratic victory for Democrats but not monumental.

What is meaningful is that the victories by Democrats were achieved by appealing to MODERATE voters. John Kasich pointed this out in an interview last night and the following link also states that point.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartanntp Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
All needs to be prefaced with the off year election container. It wasn't a POTUS election year nor even a mid-term.

Any prognostication is guess work and not in any way indicative of POTUS election year turnout or numbers.

But I congratulate the Dems on minimal inroads this election year.
All needs to be prefaced with the off year election container. It wasn't a POTUS election year nor even a mid-term.

Any prognostication is guess work and not in any way indicative of POTUS election year turnout or numbers.

But I congratulate the Dems on minimal inroads this election year. Originally Posted by eccielover
As a news commentator said last night "Donald Trump was not on the ballot but Trumpism was."

I agree with you that the Democratic victories should not be blown out of proportion. Positive results but not major.
As a news commentator said last night "Donald Trump was not on the ballot but Trumpism was."

I agree with you that the Democratic victories should not be blown out of proportion. Positive results but not major. Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
Largely mid "termish" for a party in power results. The pendulum swings based on the party in power.

1. In Kentucky, the incumbent Republican Governor, Matt Bevin, lost to Democrat Andy Beshear by a razor thin margin. Kentucky is a state Trump won by 30 percentage points in 2016. Trump, Pence and several other high-ranking Republicans visited Kentucky in support of Bevin. Trump said at the rally that a loss by Bevin would send "a really bad message". While it is true that Bevin was not well liked withing the state, this is a significant loss by Republicans.l] Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
Bevin won 2016 by more than 85,000 votes and loses 2020 by 5,000 that’s a 90,000 vote swing. That swing has to have Moscow Mitch worried he’s less popular than Bevin in Kentucky.
Andy Beshear : “ It’s still about right versus wrong “

I’ll, buy that tee shirt

I agree with you that the Democratic victories should not be blown out of proportion. Positive results but not major. Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
Define Trumpism? I am sick of people using that term.
That swing has to have Moscow Mitch worried he’s less popular than Bevin in Kentucky. Originally Posted by Jaxson66
is he really? I hope so. the most do-nothing Majority Leader in Senate history. sucking Trump dick doesn't count.

Define Trumpism? I am sick of people using that term. Originally Posted by Levianon17
near-total allegiance to any and everything Trump does or says?
Define Trumpism? I am sick of people using that term. Originally Posted by Levianon17
Here are the first 3 definitions found:

What does Trumpism mean?

Trumpism refers to the nontraditional political philosophy and approach espoused by US President Donald Trump and his supporters. The term Trumpism can also be used to directly refer to an outrageous or idiosyncratic statement made by Donald Trump.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/trumpism/

noun
the policies advocated by Donald Trump, esp those involving a rejection of the current political establishment and the vigorous pursuit of American national interests
a controversial or outrageous statement attributed to Donald Trump

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us...glish/trumpism

Trumpism

Trumpism is a nearly incurable disorder when a trump supporter blames everything else when someone criticizes Donald Trump.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...?term=Trumpism
looks like my definition is a good thumbnail!
  • oeb11
  • 11-06-2019, 08:52 AM
SR - i am disappointed

Trumpism is just a DPST deregatory term used by LSM to indoctrinate the masses.

Surprised you fell for it - you are smarter than that.

Perhaps we need to have a balance - the evil of "clintonism"!! lol
SR - i am disappointed

Trumpism is just a DPST deregatory term used by LSM to indoctrinate the masses.

Surprised you fell for it - you are smarter than that.

Perhaps we need to have a balance - the evil of "clintonism"!! lol Originally Posted by oeb11
I didn't make up the definitions. Don't shoot the messenger.

I was actually surprised that there was a rather consistent definition of "Trumpism".
A couple of interesting facts from yesterday's elections.

1. In 2015 Bevin won the Kentucky governor's race with 511,374 votes. A total of 937,994 votes were cast for the Republican and Democratic candidates. In 2019, Bevin had 794,388 votes and LOST. More than 1.4 million votes were cast. Say what you will positive or negative about Trump -- he brings out the voters.

2. As in the 2018 midterms, voters in the suburbs moved from voting Republican to voting Democratic in 2019 in Virginia, Kentucky, and Mississippi. This continues an ominous sign for Republicans. Trump won in 2016 largely due to support in the suburbs in battleground states. And he won by scant margins in several of those battleground states. Even Pennsylvania had negative election results yesterday for Republicans.

"The blue wave crashed down on Pennsylvania again, as voters from Philly to Delaware County turned left"

"The Democratic victories around the country point to surging interest by liberal voters heading into the 2020 presidential election. That could be especially significant in Pennsylvania, which Trump won in 2016 — along with its 20 Electoral College votes — partly due to a dip in Democratic enthusiasm in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh."

https://www.inquirer.com/news/pennsy...-20191106.html
interesting Stat, #1.. and yeah, the sitting Governor would have probably been beaten by 3-5 pct., had Trump not held his Rally Monday Night.